Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Metallic or non Metallis Paint

Old 09-04-2016, 10:22 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Metallic or non Metallis Paint

I have a 74 in Silver Mist, Paint code 14L. Due to lots of chips, I have decided to repaint. I dont see and metallic particles in the present paint ?

I have shot many trucks and cars that I have built, but never using Metallic Colors. If 14L is metallic color, can anyone offer any special tips on shooting metallic

Thank You
8Valve
Old 09-05-2016, 05:12 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Holy smokes.....'special tips'...yeah..I have numerous...so many that I can not take the time to type them out.

A lot has to do with the paint you are using...because NOT every paint company has the same characteristics.

Unless someone 'chimes in' and types out a list of 'tips' that you are satisfied with...PM me and I will get you my shop phone number and I would be GLAD to talk to you instead of typing for a long, long time.

DUB
Old 09-05-2016, 07:18 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank You DUB, PM Sent
8Valve

Originally Posted by DUB
Holy smokes.....'special tips'...yeah..I have numerous...so many that I can not take the time to type them out.

A lot has to do with the paint you are using...because NOT every paint company has the same characteristics.

Unless someone 'chimes in' and types out a list of 'tips' that you are satisfied with...PM me and I will get you my shop phone number and I would be GLAD to talk to you instead of typing for a long, long time.

DUB
Old 09-06-2016, 04:40 PM
mark79,80
Melting Slicks

Received 181 Likes on 131 Posts

When I painted my 1980 silver Corvette in the original color, using PPG DBC Base coat I sprayed the last coat as a drop coat. The clear was PPG DCU 2002. The finish turned out very uniform with no mottling of the metallic particles. I am not a professional, so would be interested in DUB's and any other professional's techniques.

Last edited by mark79,80; 09-06-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I will touch on this one technique.

YEP....it has been a really long time since I painted with PPG paints.

In the paint system I use I pretty much do the same thing as when the last coat goes on..I go right back over it to get the metallics laid out as I want them....and due to the properties of the paint I use. The paint does not leave overspray dusts that collect on the panels due to teh reducer I use is slower for the current temperatures I am shooting at....so everything basically 'melts in'.

I do remember back in the day...the PPG paint I was using ..I always had to fight it. And this was WAY before GLOBAL or any new stuff came out. I was using DBU and DBC back then....due to that was basically it....otehr than lacquer (DDL)

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Metallic or non Metallis Paint

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Metallic or non Metallis Paint