Paint bubbles out of nowhere!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 02:58 PM
Domobomb
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Paint bubbles out of nowhere!

Hey,

So some horrible bubbling popped up on the passenger door. What's the best way to mitigate this problem? I was going to 'pop' the bubbles and wet sand. What do you think?

For context, I've had the car for over 3 years and it was a daily driver the first year I had it. Spent a lot of time sitting in the sun while I was at work 3 years ago.

Dom
Old 09-21-2016, 03:37 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Domobomb
Hey, So some horrible bubbling popped up on the passenger door. What's the best way to mitigate this problem? I was going to 'pop' the bubbles and wet sand. What do you think? For context, I've had the car for over 3 years and it was a daily driver the first year I had it. Spent a lot of time sitting in the sun while I was at work 3 years ago. Dom
That really sucks. I believe you can use a needle to pop them then dab superglue in the hole and carefully press them down. DUB will let you know exactly how to do it. Nice Camaro by the way. Is it a 79? I had an 80 Z/28. Really regret selling it.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:53 PM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

You'll have to strip it and repaint it. Bad prep was most likely the problem
Old 09-21-2016, 05:37 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

What year is the Corvette???

Do you EVER use a car cover outside???

Is this the ONLY spot doing this on the paint???

To verify what is causing the problem...the bubbles need to be cut into to try to find the layer or layers where it is delaminating.

More than likely it is an issue with who ever painted it last.

The reason I asked if you cover it outside....is because this area of the door is on the high side of the door and moisture can get trapped....but the bubbles should actually be higher than they are...just below the rubber outer window seal area to be exact.... where there is a channel that can hold moisture and cause it to migrate into the SMC and your paint will begin to do this. When car are covered outside...Corvettes that is...the bubbles usually show up on all panels that are high up on the car...so the panels below your black body side molding generally do not get effected due to moisture rises.

It is also probable if the SMC is contaminated...it will need to be ground out and replaced...because if it is painted on top of it again...this can happen again.

DUB
Old 09-21-2016, 08:18 PM
Domobomb
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
What year is the Corvette???

Do you EVER use a car cover outside???

Is this the ONLY spot doing this on the paint???

To verify what is causing the problem...the bubbles need to be cut into to try to find the layer or layers where it is delaminating.

More than likely it is an issue with who ever painted it last.

The reason I asked if you cover it outside....is because this area of the door is on the high side of the door and moisture can get trapped....but the bubbles should actually be higher than they are...just below the rubber outer window seal area to be exact.... where there is a channel that can hold moisture and cause it to migrate into the SMC and your paint will begin to do this. When car are covered outside...Corvettes that is...the bubbles usually show up on all panels that are high up on the car...so the panels below your black body side molding generally do not get effected due to moisture rises.

It is also probable if the SMC is contaminated...it will need to be ground out and replaced...because if it is painted on top of it again...this can happen again.

DUB
Thanks for the info. It is an '85. This is the only place where the paint is coming up. Looks fine everywhere else.

I stored it outside in one of these but with no car cover on it:

Old 09-21-2016, 08:23 PM
Domobomb
Racer

Originally Posted by Dt86
That really sucks. I believe you can use a needle to pop them then dab superglue in the hole and carefully press them down. DUB will let you know exactly how to do it. Nice Camaro by the way. Is it a 79? I had an 80 Z/28. Really regret selling it.
Yeah it's a '79. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

This 'garage' is OK as long as you know that it does not sweat moisture inside or hold moisture like greenhouse....and the room can breathe.

I guess you will know when tey cut one of those bubbles open and look.

DUB
Old 09-22-2016, 11:07 PM
Domobomb
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
This 'garage' is OK as long as you know that it does not sweat moisture inside or hold moisture like greenhouse....and the room can breathe.

I guess you will know when tey cut one of those bubbles open and look.

DUB
Thanks DUB.

What would be the next steps after opening one up?
Old 09-23-2016, 05:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Thanks DUB.

What would be the next steps after opening one up?
I have no idea due to not knowing what is found when it is cut open. There are NUMEROUS repair methods and procedures that can be used here.

With this being a silver/champagne metallic color...the repair can possibly come back and show the rings where it was sanded back.

I can get more into that later.

DUB
Old 12-26-2016, 04:02 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Thanks for the info. It is an '85. This is the only place where the paint is coming up. Looks fine everywhere else.

I stored it outside in one of these but with no car cover on it:

My HOA would banned me from community with one of this
Old 12-31-2016, 04:26 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by ZO ZICK
My HOA would banned me from community with one of this
Not to highjack this thread, but your HOA rules are NOT laws and they mean nothing in a court of law.(don't ask me how I know)

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Paint bubbles out of nowhere!

Quick Reply: Paint bubbles out of nowhere!