Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

What do you use to repair screw holes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 04:13 PM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 334 Likes on 77 Posts
Default What do you use to repair screw holes?

I'm installing door and kick panels in my 55 and am encountering a number of stripped/enlarged mounting holes that no longer hold the trim screws. What methods or techniques have you used and recommend to repair these?

In the past I have used plastic anchors, small metal plates riveted over the holes and filling the holes with fiberglass. Each method has its advantages and disadvantages, but I am wondering what the experts use and recommend. I've not had a lot of luck with filling the holes and drilling, but maybe its my technique.

Thanks for your comments and advice.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:40 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Depending on where the hole is located...and the time you want to put into it. In many cases where it is possible. I use the plastic insets much like what is used for a license plate screw....but smaller. I take my square file and file the hole square....snap the insert in and I am ready to put the screw in it. If the insert goes bad..I can simple replace it.

ALSO...GM used the 'J-nuts' like in the link below. GM uses J-nuts in the new for a lot of stuff...and even though it is made for a machine screw...a #8 sheet metal screw actually works GREAT...and the screw is held in rather good due to making its own threads when being threaded in. SO..the screw is not likely to un-thread itself.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2128&ppt=C1965

Installing these J-nuts does require you to make a square hole so it can slide in the panel and then align up with the hole in the panel where you want the screw to go.

ALSO...you can build up the thickness of the fiberglass so it is about double or triple the normal thickness. Drill a hole and use a 'high-low' threaded screw. I use them and the ones I have have a hex head on them but I also have them where they are Phillips headed like in the link below so you can see them..

http://www.asmc.net/8-18-x-1-2-6hd-t...FdgJgQod54AD-Q

Using the round plastic inserts from a hardware store may work for a while. I choose not to use them

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Ktholin (10-10-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 09:07 PM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

DUB,

Thanks for the great suggestion. I was able to find the square head nylon grommet nuts at the local hardware store. I can see the advantage of these square nuts over the simple plastic type wall anchors I've tried in the past.

I first drilled the existing hole to enlarge it. Then used a small file to square it and pushed the plastic nut in place. In all, it took me less than 2 minutes for each hole. This was exactly the clean and simple solution I was looking for! I know this is a minor issue compared to other body and paint problems, but I really appreciate your help. Thanks again, DUB.

Enlarged hole

Squared with a small file

Inserted grommet nut. Voila! Problem solved
The following users liked this post:
DUB (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 03:18 PM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I've looked for those grommets and can't find them Is there a special name for them? Where did you get them at Lowes? Home depot?
Really appreciate any help you can give.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Ktholin
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

They are called square head grommet nuts. I got them at a DeNaults (ACE) hardware. You can also do a google search and order them on line. One link: https://apexfasteners.com/fasteners/...on-grommet-nut
Old 10-11-2016, 05:25 PM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

thanks
Old 10-11-2016, 05:46 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I am glad my suggestion helped you.

DUB
Old 10-12-2016, 01:16 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

What a great solution!

Get notified of new replies

To What do you use to repair screw holes?

Quick Reply: What do you use to repair screw holes?