Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 01:59 PM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rough paint on upper front fenders and upper doors

Hi:

I've got a question for you all:

I've been using Zaino products on my 2011 since new. It has been garaged all the time and has 20,000 miles on it. I hadn't clayed the car for a year, so I decided to clay it and start from scratch with Zaino products which I've used since new. When I got to the top of the front fenders and doors, the paint was rough while the rest of the car's paint was perfect and glassy smooth. I used a medium claybar, but when I finished the paint was still rough. I carefully checked the paint under a strong light, but couldn't see any imperfections.

Any ideas what might be happening. I don't want anybody messing with the paint without getting some idea what's going on.

Thx,
GP
Old 10-18-2016, 05:15 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Photos might be helpful. Do you see any difference in the paint or color when you look at it at an angle? What color is it? Possibly, the areas were repainted at the factory due to some imperfections. I'm sure DUB or Porchdog will give you some good direction.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:20 PM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
Photos might be helpful. Do you see any difference in the paint or color when you look at it at an angle? What color is it? Possibly, the areas were repainted at the factory due to some imperfections. I'm sure DUB or Porchdog will give you some good direction.
It's Cyber Gray Metallic. There is no difference whatsoever, to the point that if I took a pic, you wouldn't see a thing. The idea of a repaint is possible. If they did, they did an awesome job. One of the things I thought of was the clearcoat in those areas was deteriorating. If that's true, it's not because I didn't protect the paint and give it scrupulous attention.

Thx,
GP
Old 10-18-2016, 05:37 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If a photo will not show what you can see. It is hard to advise you what to do when I can not see it..

Not knowing if it is just the way the car was painted and the top of the fenders did not get a good coat of clear...or if it had been repainted. The only thing I would suggest is to watersand the texture down a bit and leave some of it. The buff it out.

The 'problem' with that is that generally the clear coat on the new Corvettes is really not that thick...so aggressively sanding on the clear and buffing it can cause you to break through it and get into the basecoat which would NOT be good.

'Dry spray' is not the same as rough orange peel. Dry spray is harder to correct than rough orange peel.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 10-18-2016 at 05:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rough paint on upper front fenders and upper doors

Quick Reply: Rough paint on upper front fenders and upper doors