Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Antenna install

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 12:52 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Antenna install

I have a 71 coupe with the body off. the frame is almost complete, engine,trans, gas tank etc installed. the car is not painted yet.
After I put the body on the frame, will I be able to install the antenna without removing the gas tank? I want to paint before mounting the antenna.
Thanks
Old 11-07-2016, 05:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YES...as of to date....I have never had any problems in getting the antenna installed after I paint a Corvette. Regardless of year model.

The fuel tank does not get in the way at all. Your muffler may redstrict you a little bit...but not the fuel tank.

And for what it is worth.....if you really clearcoat your paint job....I would wait a bit before installing the antenna. OR.... use an infra-red heater and bake that area where the antenna goes so you do not moosh into the clear when you tighten the nut for the antenna to keep it solidly mounted.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
71frameoff (11-07-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 05:47 PM
71frameoff
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
YES...as of to date....I have never had any problems in getting the antenna installed after I paint a Corvette. Regardless of year model.

The fuel tank does not get in the way at all. Your muffler may redstrict you a little bit...but not the fuel tank.

And for what it is worth.....if you really clearcoat your paint job....I would wait a bit before installing the antenna. OR.... use an infra-red heater and bake that area where the antenna goes so you do not moosh into the clear when you tighten the nut for the antenna to keep it solidly mounted.

DUB
THANKS! Yes, I don't want to rush anything. Perfect, thanks.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:56 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by 71frameoff
THANKS! Yes, I don't want to rush anything. Perfect, thanks.
DO NOT RUSH anything!

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Antenna install

Quick Reply: Antenna install