Which paint stripper?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 12:40 PM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 517 Likes on 303 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Which paint stripper?

Just picked up a used oem zr1 rear spoiler. It is painted black from the factory. I am going to have it painted velocity yellow. I want to strip it before I give it to the body shop. I don't know what stripper to use. Any recommendations?
Alternatively, I could just let the body shop strip it since they will paint it.
Thanks.

Last edited by jaki30; 12-13-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:30 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by jaki30
I could just let the body shop strip it since they will paint it.
Thanks.
This is a wise idea. Because I paint stuff...I prefer to strip panels myself.

A lot of times a panel can be properly sanded to remove the paint.

And...not that you asked...but if you brought this spoiler ot me to paint yellow. And because the part is black., IF the paint is really good and GM paint. I would not strip it. I would prep it for paint and apply the sealer and paint and not think twice about it.

The reason is this. Because the panel is black...and not some other color like red . If a chip gets in the spoiler....the black will not stand out and would come across as factory because GM does and did use a black coating on the panel prior to paint.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
jaki30 (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 06:42 PM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 517 Likes on 303 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by DUB
This is a wise idea. Because I paint stuff...I prefer to strip panels myself.

A lot of times a panel can be properly sanded to remove the paint.

And...not that you asked...but if you brought this spoiler ot me to paint yellow. And because the part is black., IF the paint is really good and GM paint. I would not strip it. I would prep it for paint and apply the sealer and paint and not think twice about it.

The reason is this. Because the panel is black...and not some other color like red . If a chip gets in the spoiler....the black will not stand out and would come across as factory because GM does and did use a black coating on the panel prior to paint.

DUB
DUB, Thanks for the info. I stripped a Corvette of paint 30 years ago and wasn't looking forward to doing this. Also, never though about the black. I'll drop it off at the body shop tomorrow.

Get notified of new replies

To Which paint stripper?

Quick Reply: Which paint stripper?