Vette Panel Adhesive question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 08:16 AM
jfr's 63swc
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Vette Panel Adhesive question

Hello,

I removed the rear quarter panel splash shield on a '63 convertible to replace the missing bottom half and repair the broken top half. Repairs went well. Now I need to reinstall the panel.

After some research, I contacted Evercoat and they recommended using the Vette Panel Adhesive to bond the splash in place. The rep said that the product comes in a quart can and mixes up like bondo. He recommended applying a thin coat to both the splash and the panels where it will be attached like contact cement.

That is where I am confused. The original bonding material (now removed) was thicker and sort of oozed out in places. I am not trying to replicate the look (not NCRS!) but am concerned that there are places that will require more material than a thin coat to bridge the uneven gaps like the original. So, my question is this really the best material for this application? Seems that something in a caulking-like tube would be easier and better. I am open to suggestions from anyone with experience!

Thanks,

Jon
Old 12-28-2016, 07:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

IN MY OPNION:

Other that you buying the specific adhesive that GM used....which is the black stuff that is available...but I think you need to buy a gallon of it. I am not sure but I do know that Corvette Image sells it and they call it 'Body Putty'. But Knowing that you are not worried about judges...I thought I would mention it anyway.

I WOULD use the Vette Panel Adhesive and not think twice about it.

AS for using the VPA...and having area where you have wide gaps. Like I tell many forum members who call me. Test fit oyur panel so oyu kwo how ti will go back in. And in doing so....you will tehn klnow wher oyu can add more adesive adnNOT have it fall off.

IF you do apply the VPA and it drips off all over you and you start to CUSS.....STOP and do not freak out. Because once you get the panel in place and clamped in a manner that you TESTED.....you can go in and using your spreader ( even if you ahve to cut it narrower)...and fill in these gaps and have it oooze out the backside of the panel.

You will have a lot more VPA left over. So...possibly testing your mix will allow you to be able to time yourself and see how long it takes for the VPA to get o the point where it gets jelly like and will not stick back onto itself.

This is chemistry 101....so being consistent in your test batches is wise....or your tests are pointless.

DUB
Old 12-29-2016, 07:44 AM
jfr's 63swc
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
IN MY OPNION:

Other that you buying the specific adhesive that GM used....which is the black stuff that is available...but I think you need to buy a gallon of it. I am not sure but I do know that Corvette Image sells it and they call it 'Body Putty'. But Knowing that you are not worried about judges...I thought I would mention it anyway.

I WOULD use the Vette Panel Adhesive and not think twice about it.

AS for using the VPA...and having area where you have wide gaps. Like I tell many forum members who call me. Test fit oyur panel so oyu kwo how ti will go back in. And in doing so....you will tehn klnow wher oyu can add more adesive adnNOT have it fall off.

IF you do apply the VPA and it drips off all over you and you start to CUSS.....STOP and do not freak out. Because once you get the panel in place and clamped in a manner that you TESTED.....you can go in and using your spreader ( even if you ahve to cut it narrower)...and fill in these gaps and have it oooze out the backside of the panel.

You will have a lot more VPA left over. So...possibly testing your mix will allow you to be able to time yourself and see how long it takes for the VPA to get o the point where it gets jelly like and will not stick back onto itself.

This is chemistry 101....so being consistent in your test batches is wise....or your tests are pointless.

DUB
DUB,

Thanks for the detailed response. I will proceed with the VPA. It was the apply like contact adhesive comment that had me concerned!

I have already done the panel test fit/clamping trials so I will definitely do some tests of the VPA. I prefer to do things once and right the first time!

Regards,

Jon
Old 12-29-2016, 05:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by jfr's 63swc
DUB,

Thanks for the detailed response. I will proceed with the VPA. It was the apply like contact adhesive comment that had me concerned!

I have already done the panel test fit/clamping trials so I will definitely do some tests of the VPA. I prefer to do things once and right the first time!

Regards,

Jon

I also agree.....DO IT ONCE... and DO IT RIGHT... the first time.

ACTUALLY...VPA is NOT like contact cement. Contact cement is designed to allow it to get tacky and then join your parts together.

With the VPA....mix it...apply it....install it.

Evercoat DOES have another adhesive I use that DOES require an induction period that must be followed BEFORE the two parts are joined together. But even with that...I do not let it get nowhere near tacky. I want it creamy....or like peanut butter. The MAIN THING is to make sure it is still viscous so it can join to itself when bonding is taking place.

I also understand your concern. But applying the VPA to the areas that you know is where it is needed...is just an insurance policy....so-to-speak.. that you know that when the two panels with it on it will join together and become one adhesive bond.

DUB
Old 01-06-2017, 10:07 PM
jfr's 63swc
Racer

Dub,

Just an update. Installation of the rebuilt splash with the Vette Panel Adhesive went perfectly with your advice and suggestions. My first test batch kicked off in about 6 minutes - way to fast to get done what I needed or at least at the speed that I go!

Next batch took about 12 minutes which was perfect. Got the adhesive on both parts, got my clamps and braces in. Oozed out and almost looks factory!

By the way, I noticed that the quart can lid was 4" in diameter and since I use clear Lucite scraps for mixing on, I just set the Lucite over the can lid to get accurate reproducible puddles of adhesive.

Thanks again for the help.

Regards,

Jon
Old 01-07-2017, 04:51 PM
DUB
Race Director

Jon,

I am glad that the panel bonded on well and you being SMART and taking the time to test batch the product so you had no surprises.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Vette Panel Adhesive question

Quick Reply: Vette Panel Adhesive question