Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Hey Dub and anyone who cares to reply. Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 11:32 AM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Default Hey Dub and anyone who cares to reply. Thanks

Dub you may remember commenting on this. I wiped this with Laquer thinner then hit it with the hose. My concern is with the water beading. How should I proceed? Thanks guys
Old 01-19-2017, 12:23 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Mold release agent? With a really poor prep
Old 01-19-2017, 05:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

My concern is why you are using water on it. If you washed the stuff off with lacquer thinner.....and knowing that lacquer thinner is a petroleum based solvent...applying water on it and how it reacts is an inconclusive test.....such as trying to determine if there is a possibility of remaining mold release agent or whatever.

Water can be used to determine the cleanliness of a surface in some situations...but this is not one of them. Sometimes I will look for the water to 'sheet' off...and then sometimes I want it to bead up.

Get ALL of the paint off of this seat back...wipe it with lacquer thinner to the point that your Bounty towels are coming off clean. If you need to use a red Scotch-brite pad to get into the grain...you can do so. When completed...allow this part to set out in the sun.

If you have some in your shop...I would either wipe it with acetone...and then the wax and grease remover. If you have only acetone...you can use it due to it does not leave a residue....and if all you have is the wax and grease remover...just make sure you wipe it DRY when you apply it and NOT allow it to flash off all by itself. THAT...would be a BIG MISTAKE!!!!

Then once all solvents have been used and dried off....give it time to flash off and then you can apply whatever you plan on using. keep in mind a good surface and air temperature so what you are spraying will actually work well.

I also prefer to apply a coat of the 'Bulldog' adhesion promoter...just to be on the safe side...but use what you like. Some just shoot the dye that is in the can they bought... and some don't.

DUB
Old 01-19-2017, 07:30 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Ok. I wiped it with the Laquer thinner and it didn't come off it took the pressure behind the hose to get it to peel. I'll follow your recommendations. Duplicolor adhesion pro. Is what I've found in my area. Again Thanks for your help
Old 01-19-2017, 07:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by croaker
Ok. I wiped it with the Laquer thinner and it didn't come off it took the pressure behind the hose to get it to peel. I'll follow your recommendations. Duplicolor adhesion pro. Is what I've found in my area. Again Thanks for your help
??? So the lacquer thinner did not allow the paint/dye to easily lift off???
That is odd.

Well..you are close to having it stripped off.

I am not aware of the Duplicolor adhesion pro. I am sure it should work but as I always suggest....read the can..and then even take the time to call the tech line of Duplicolor and talk to a tech person just to verify that it will work. Unless both products you are suing are both made by Duplicolor.

And...If they are not.....I would shoot a little bit on a some small panel and then your dye to make sure that it does not react and lift off like bacon on a hot skillet.

DUB
Old 01-20-2017, 08:20 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Will do. Thanks
Old 02-13-2017, 11:30 AM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Default Dub

Hey Dub after I scrubbed about 5 times with Ajax this is what's lurking under the peeling paint. Hope it shows up in picture.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

It looks like some type of contamination.

I myself...would paint them and let it ride. They are only seat backs and if they need to be replaced if teh adhesion promoter or dye begins to blister can bubble again.. they are not that expensive to replace

Your call on that.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Hey Dub and anyone who cares to reply. Thanks

Quick Reply: Hey Dub and anyone who cares to reply. Thanks