Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Jet Stream Blue paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 04:38 PM
ILLUSHN
Safety Car

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Jet Stream Blue paint

Is there a difference between JSB paint ingredients made in Japan pre-earthquake and post-earthquake?

If so, any idea where I can locate some pre-earthquake paint?
Old 01-29-2017, 05:03 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

This is news to me. I was not aware that THIS paint was so specific that it has to come from Japan. This makes no sense. Now if specific ingredients were made in japan and sold to the paint manufactures so they can make a toner....That may be true...but even if the toners are slightly different...an experienced painter with good eye for color and knows how to tint paint and shoot test panels can make the color match so close that you would not be able tell that it was painted.

I am not at work where I can look up the paint formula and see if it is a basecoat/clearcoat or a tri-stage with tinted clear. Regardless of any of that...this color I honestly feel can be purchased from NEXA, PPG and numerous other paint manufacturer's.....because....there are more than likely 'variants'...which may cause the color of your car would cause the paint you buy to be tinted to make it a blendable match.

DUB
Old 01-29-2017, 06:32 PM
ILLUSHN
Safety Car

I seem to remember reading on this forum years ago that the component that makes it look like pearl and flip flop between blue and green in certain light was manufactured in Japan. It is 3 stage paint. The plant was damaged in the earthquake and had to shut down production for awhile.

I had a fender repainted a couple of years ago and the painter did an excellent job of matching the paint without having to blend into the door. I believe he used a different brand of paint than the factory color and it seemed to have a bit more sparkle than the factory paint, but he did such an excellent job repainting it that only he and I would know.

I'm considering having my car repainted in the original color. It's my daily driver (62,000+ miles) and the expected normal chips and wear are starting to get to me. At least I won't have to do the jams.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:59 PM
ILLUSHN
Safety Car

Nobody? I'm feeling lonely here!
Old 02-11-2017, 05:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by ILLUSHN
Nobody? I'm feeling lonely here!
Not much to really add. Even though your concerns are valid. As I mentioned I would get some paint and test shoot a panel and actually see how it comes out. I am painter and I personally would not give it a second thought and I would mix up the formula on my paint mixing machine and shoot a test panel.

If the color was off or had a lot of variants to it...then I would adjust to tint the color to get it as close to the paint in the jambs as possible.

DUB
Old 02-17-2017, 10:24 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

I seem to recall reading about Japanese paint metal flakes.
The size or shape of the flakes changed or the color of the flakes changed or one side of the flake was a different color than the other side.

As above...don't worry just shoot a test panel.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:33 PM
Mad-Tiki-Customs
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ILLUSHN
Is there a difference between JSB paint ingredients made in Japan pre-earthquake and post-earthquake?

If so, any idea where I can locate some pre-earthquake paint?
ive been painting cars for over 20 years. Never heard of, or been effected by such a thing.
paint code is a paint code. Theres always some variants. Some brands have less than others. Some brands match better than others. (You get what you pay for)
bring a paint code, and if possible a part, or the vehicle to check color match. A good painter can make a slightly off color almost flawless. Enough so, that you wouldn’t know.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:41 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I hadn't seen this discussion when it was originally posted, but here's my $0.02 worth....

In the fall of 2011, my wife and I ordered a new, 2012 Jaguar XJ-L. Our previous Jag was painted in a color called "Ultimate Black", which is basically a deep, black metallic, and this is what we wanted for the 2012. However, it was not available at that time, and our dealer told us that it was because of tsunami damage to the paint supplier. We had to settle for a color called "Midnight Black", which was in actuality, more of a deep gray metallic. Nice color, but not the color we really wanted.

So yes, there is indeed some truth to the story of certain paint components being made exclusively by one supplier in Japan.
Old 12-24-2022, 01:00 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

It's difficult to make matte finish shine with wax coating !!!

Get notified of new replies

To Jet Stream Blue paint

Quick Reply: Jet Stream Blue paint