Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

door hinge and hinge mount area on body and door.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 06:43 PM
texas jim
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default door hinge and hinge mount area on body and door.

I recently caught my driver side door on my gate post while backing out with the door open. Brilliant! The door was pulled back and it slightly cracked both hinges where the pins go through. I took the door off today and want to know how I can tell if I also pulled the hinge mounting area/plates on the body and the door. It looks like the area on the body could be pulled a little, but I'm not sure if that area should be completely flat or slightly rounded back past the mounting bolts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Sad to say...photos are really needed here. Not being able to see what you can see it about impossible to comment on.

Seeing the door back on when it is closed (if it can close) is what is needed.

I need to see ALL areas. So your photos you post that show how well the door fits and is flush at the fender and also the quarter panel is what needs to be done.

Taking photos that are close to the area is fine.....but mark or identify the concerned area and ALSO take a photo further back so I have a gauge of reference. Once again...the better I can see what you have going on...the better I can comment on what I see and thus....will better allow me to direct you in what to check next and so on.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 02-24-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:22 AM
jimktm
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have same issue starting in my 2017 coupe at certain temps. When door is partway open, door front edge midway up the door contacts fender lightly at one point. Laying a straightedge horizontally against the door and front fender spanning the joint shows the door face is about 2mm farther out than the fender face, and moving door slowly I think making both panels flush will solve my issue.

TSB PI1220 at https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...35212-9999.pdf seems to be the same issue. Fix is adjust the fender mounts so fender is 1 to 1.5 mm *outboard* of the door, and use different bolts, but that TSB is date April 2014, so wouldn't the factory have already implemented the TSB on all later year cars like mine? This TSB also has pics of the contact area.

Last edited by jimktm; 11-13-2020 at 12:31 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To door hinge and hinge mount area on body and door.

Quick Reply: door hinge and hinge mount area on body and door.