I went to meet "THE MAN" LOL

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 02:32 PM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Default I went to meet "THE MAN" LOL

I started with the forums when I bought my Blue C5, years ago.
The C5 forums saved me so much money that I paid to become a 'Supporting Member'.
At that time, I was doing my own Mechanicals on my C5.
I 'Browsed' the Paint/Body forum because I expected that 'someday I was going to need this kind of information'.

And I saw "DUB"... YIKES !!!!!

I read a LOT of his posts, answers, that he put out there for everyone.

One thing I learned about him, He does NOT suffer Idiots....

So, I just moved in about 50 miles south west of Charlotte, and drove up to his shop.

It was great meeting you.
Thanks for suffering me..... LOL
Art

Photos are of the car I told you about.
Attached Images      
The following users liked this post:
DUB (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 05:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Art,

Thank you for taking the time to drive to my shop. That C5 is pretty sweet with all of your custom touches to it.

In regards to the car you posted photos of....obviously...if you need any advice on what you plan to do to it. DO not hesitate to post a question or call me.

DUB
Old 03-02-2017, 09:38 AM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Good Morning.
Question time.
While I'm working on my 72, I have a younger guy who's been helping me with stuff that requires two people.
He's got a 74 that's Beautiful.
He started noticing water leaking at the top left corner of his windshield, and after seeing what I'm dealing with, he asked if we could at least just pull the chrome trim and 'Look' at the top corner.
YUCK.
For the most part, everything is solid.
But you can see from the attached photos, there's some RUST THROUGH up in that corner. From what I see, it appears that the chrome trim all the way across the top of the windshield was 'sealed' with RTV. Except that seal broke top left side in the corner.

My question is about 'Rust Converters'.

We're going to pull his windshield and clean this up as much as possible without going into a birdcage replacement.

Other than that top left corner, the car is really good.

I'm thinking that after we get as much of the rust off as possible using the normal mechanical methods, (wire brush bit in an air die grinder), what 'etching', 'cleaning' or 'rust converter' do you recommend.

We've been looking at POR-15.

I've used it before on my S-10, years ago.
Attached Images    
Old 03-02-2017, 05:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Hopefully you remember that if you use POR-15 you MUST (or should) use the MARINE CLEAN and the ACID ETCH....and follow the rest of the instructions on rinsing it off and making sure the surface is COMPLETELY DRY!!! Yes I have used it here in certain areas ONLY. You also can use an epoxy primer.

****IMPORTANT!!!!****

IF you are using the POR-15. MAKE SURE that NO POR-15 on the surface of the windshield frame where you are going to apply the windshield urethane. It is best to leave it bare metal so the windshield installer can apply their own special primer....OR..you can apply some epoxy primer but DO NOT apply it too thick.

The reason I am mentioning this is due to SHEAR. In an impact...IF incorrect products or procedures are not followed. The windshield urethane can SHEAR away from what was applied on the metal frame. This is why it it NOT advisable to apply a primer surfacer and paint and clear on the surface where your urethane will go. Because the layers of primer surfacer, paint and clear CAN shear away from each other....and your windshield can come out.

When I get windshield frames that look like this I take them outside and use my welding blankets and such and bag off the car and actually will sandblast the frame to get the metal spotless....and then go from there.

DUB
Old 03-02-2017, 06:30 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

DUB has selflessly helped me with SO MUCH over the years it's ridiculous. I really should send him a check! Thank you DUB! Hopefully some day I can pay a visit.

Last edited by Dt86; 03-02-2017 at 06:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dt86:
DUB (03-02-2017), SG Lou (03-22-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 06:54 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dt86
DUB has selflessly helped me with SO MUCH over the years it's ridiculous. I really should send him a check! Thank you DUB! Hopefully some day I can pay a visit.
As like I told you...way back when...it was my pleasure to help you. And if you need my help...do not hesitate to call me. I feel it is something I need to do to help those who ask for help...and I do not worry about the money...because it is only money. Because it works like this (in my opinion). IF I help those who need help/advice....then when I ask those guys I know who know more than myself for help....and they help me and do not ask for money...THAT is where KARMA balances things out. THAT is how I feel it works.

Not only that Dave...you know that you have done numerous things out of the kindness of your heart towards me in return...and for me that is payment enough. So forget all about sending a check. You have no 'balance due' with me at all.

DUB
Old 03-05-2017, 11:14 PM
2tired
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

I have a customer's very similar orange '72 350/auto in my shop now. I cut in some of the parts tonight and hope to shoot the body next weekend.
DUB, I've been impressed by the responses and advise I've seen you give in some of these threads. I've been hammering and welding on steel bodies for 40 years, with the occasional Corvette now and then. If it's okay, can I contact you if I should need some guidance with one of these?

BTW, do you have a vendor spot at Auto Fair in Spring or Fall?
Old 03-06-2017, 05:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 2tired
BTW, do you have a vendor spot at Auto Fair in Spring or Fall?
If you do not have my shop number PM me and I will get it to you.

No...I rarely attend the Auto Fair. I only go there if I need to find a specific part or pick up parts or some tools/literature.

I thought about getting a spot and display some of my paint/restoration work...but with many Corvettes being out there in the shows that I did...I figured...why?. I already have a back log....that would just make it worse.

DUB
Old 03-28-2017, 10:43 PM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Default Hey Dub, I'm back

First, if you remember our conversation, about the bird cage, I've been collecting information about the subject.

Federal Law on the subject leaves it up to the states.
'Except' as applies to auto theft.
Then the Feds get nasty. Rightfully so.

But the individual states set the stage for the repair I was speaking to you about.
See pictures for refreshing your memory.

My windshield frame is almost non-existent at the VIN tag.
North Carolina is Strict to the max on this.

Georgia, on the other hand is more willing to work with shops and individuals on this.
Thus, I have agreed to take the body to Georgia, where a shop will do the birdcage repair and reinstall the VIN TAG to the new windshield frame.
I will receive an invoice for the work, certified by the state of Georgia.
Problem solved.
See my other post for this week's question.
Thanks.
Art
Attached Images     
Old 03-29-2017, 06:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

I would do the same thing. If Georgia allows the work to be preformed and inspected...that is what I would do...because it is not like some 'hanky-panky' is going on in regards the the VIN.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To I went to meet "THE MAN" LOL

Quick Reply: I went to meet "THE MAN" LOL