Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Questions about a replacement front clip 73'

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 05:57 PM
BDoc
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Questions about a replacement front clip 73'

So I've been blocking the body down, and... unfortunately it looks like there was quite a bit more damage to the front clip than I thought. The whole passenger fender looks to be bondo, or some kind of filler. With this, and all the mods the previous owner made that I'm not thrilled with, I think I will be buying a new front clip.

PICS
https://winner69696.imgur.com/

So.. that being said, I have a bunch of questions.

I'm looking at this front clip.

h ttp:/ / www .ecklerscorvette.com/corvette-door-to-door-front-end-stock-design-1973-1974.htm

It looks like it does not have the entire hood-surround, though. Do I need to salvage the rear portion of my existing hood-surround?

What is the overall difficulty level of the new clip installation? I gather it's not a one-day job, but would like to know what I'm getting myself into.

Also, for new fiberglass pieces in general, it appears that they are gelcoated or epoxy primered when they arrive. (I'm not sure which, to be honest.) Is it recommended to block them down lightly before applying primer? I have to guess that they aren't perfect when they arrive new.

Thanks a bunch. Getting ready to drain my bank account.

Last edited by BDoc; 03-22-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I looked at the few photos you have in that album you posted a link to.

Preferably...post your photos here directly. I did not see any photo of the excessive body filler like you mentioned.

Your link to the part from Eckelrs is not working so I do not know what you are planning on installing. SO if it a full clip then the link to your photos will not matter because you will be replacing all of what you have shown with a new part.

All of your other questions/concerns can be answered once we are both on the same page and I can see what you have going on and what you plan on purchasing.

DUB
Old 03-22-2017, 06:48 PM
BDoc
Racer

Thanks Dub. Really appreciate you giving me advice. For some reason, ecklers links don't seem to work on this forum. I added a screen shot and a text link to the page.

The light colored areas that I've circled in red have a rough texture that is different than the rest of the body. I assumed they are some kind of filler, so just assumed the worst. Is that not the case? If you think they are ok, then I may not have to buy a new front clip. There are other areas on the front that have had work done to them, so this was kind of the straw that broke the camel's back, and I was thinking that I'd have to replace the whole thing.

The imgur album I posted above lets you zoom in and see much better quality than what's here, but here's the pic:

http :// www .ecklerscorvette.com/corvette-door-to-door-front-end-stock-design-1973-1974.html

Last edited by BDoc; 03-22-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

From looking at your photo with the areas circled in red. I know I would not put a clip on the car.

Before I actually go and put clip on the front or rear...it needs to have A LOT of damage in it to where the time it would take me to do the repairs would exceed the time it would take to put a new clip on and the cost of the clip figured into it also.

Now I have no idea what it looks like under this filler. but unless it is catastrophic damage...which can usually be seen from the underside....I would grind it out and replace it with Vette Panel Adhesive.....once again...not knowing what is wrong with those areas.

DUB
Old 03-24-2017, 12:12 PM
BDoc
Racer

Ok thanks Dub. That's what I was hoping you would say. Looks like I know what i'm doing this weekend
Old 03-24-2017, 06:11 PM
DUB
Race Director

Also it is wise while you have it at this stage of tear down...is to verify the metal support beam that is bonded to the underside of the top hood surround....between the headlight openings and the hood opening is still bonded and NOT showing signs of wanting to delaminate.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about a replacement front clip 73'

Quick Reply: Questions about a replacement front clip 73'