Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

C3 Battery Box Repair

Old 03-22-2017, 09:06 AM
BEJ
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

Default C3 Battery Box Repair

I have a question for the body experts. On my 75, the bottom of my battery box was busted out, a long time ago, before I got it 10 years ago. At one point, someone glassed in a metal bottom so it does hold the battery, but i don't trust it long term. I currently have the TAs out and with the access to the area now, I was considering moving forward with a repair. I have a donor box and was considering grafting on 2-3 inches of the bottom of the donor box onto my car. My question is, will just grafting this on be strong enough to withstand the weight of the battery or should the repair be coupled with some type of bracing straps? I appreciate any and all responses.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 03-22-2017, 05:48 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I would not use any straps ( but do as you wish)...because if the fiberglass is prepped correctly and the correct resin and mat are applied correctly..then the bottom of the box would not come off due to the weight of the battery. BUT...this means that you must secure the battery so it can not bounce around either.

DUB
Old 03-22-2017, 08:42 PM
BEJ
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I would not use any straps ( but do as you wish)...because if the fiberglass is prepped correctly and the correct resin and mat are applied correctly..then the bottom of the box would not come off due to the weight of the battery. BUT...this means that you must secure the battery so it can not bounce around either.

DUB
Dub,

Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me, based upon these pictures, how far up the sides I should cut the existing box in order to graft on the new section? Mainly the bottom is busted out but on the inner side, if you can tell, the glass is damaged surrounding the hole for the battery cable.

Thanks,
Bryan
Attached Images    
Old 03-23-2017, 06:48 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Bryan,

When I do these I look a the problem at hand...I would look for the area on all four sides where you know you have good original fiberglass that will be above where you plan to cut.

So me telling you how far to cut is about impossible.

You might be surprised that if you prep it and get out the old repair....you might not need to splice anything in because you can laminate it back up and do a better job and still use much of the original fiberglass.

Know way of knowing any more until it has been prepped.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Battery Box Repair

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C3 Battery Box Repair