Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Recommendations on how to remove 13 layers of paint...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 09:20 PM
jroc1989
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations on how to remove 13 layers of paint...

So we're working on repairing some bad body work on our 64 after a previous crash, and knew that the car wasn't its original color. Started sanding and was shocked to find 13 layers of paint: primer, ermine white (original color), primer, red, primer, a beige like color, primer, black, primer, butternut yellow, primer, black, black. Is there an easier way to get all this off?? Never expected that many layers!

Last edited by jroc1989; 03-22-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:21 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

There is the razor blade and heat method or stripper in addition to sanding. I would not want to sand off all of that material. I would(and did) use a stripper. DUB has a brand that he recommends but I don't remember it now. Yes, I didn't take my meds today.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:10 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

heat will soften it so the razor blade will peel it off in strips.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:21 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

''dads'' paint stripper

1.cover floor with cheap plastic tarps
2.put on old cloths and rubber gloves
3.put stripper in a 1 gal plastic bucket
4.using a 2-3'' cheap paint brush,brush on 1 panel at a time
5,while wet cover with cheap clear plastic drop cloth
6.let sit 3-5 hours
7.go to next panel,and do steps 4,5,6,
8.go back and use a 2-3'' wide metal putty knife try to take-off bubbled up paint,if it doesn't come off re-apply stripper and recover with plastic
9.this can be done by 1 person [whole car]in 1-2 days
10.you might have to go back over panels 2-3 times to get all paint off
11.after you get all paint off,wash whole car with ''hot'' soapy water,let dry and wash down bare panels with laquer thinner
Old 03-23-2017, 06:05 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I agree with 'porch dog ' on this one.

I would at least try using heat and a razor blade and see how much I can actually get off using the razor blade method.

The reason is...if you can get a lot of it off but yet still have several layers that do not want to come off with the razor blade....that is when I would go to suing chemical stripper.

If trying to use a razor blade seems to be a waste of time....because I have run I into that. I..personally would sand it down but not to the bare fiberglass. Keep in mind I know how to sand off paint..because I know when to stop...and where to not even try to sand it off with power tools.

I use Klean-Strip's AIRCRAFT REMOVER. I use the stout stuff. Once again..I know it is not made for fiberglass but that does not matter if you know what you are doing and pay attention....which is why I can not agree with putting the stripper on and leavings it for 3-5 hours. I know people have their methods that work for them...but hat is one that I personally can not agree with or endorse. SO...if you do it that way and have a problem...do not ask me why you have a problem. If we were stripping paint off a metal car...that is different. But we are not talking about stripping a steel bodied car.

And I can not endorse washing the body off with soapy water. Once again...to each his/her own. I KNOW people have done it that way and have had no problems....but I choose to do it so I do not have to worry or wait. I do it in a way that I do not have to worry about soap or moisture getting into the fibers and then having to wait for days for it to dry out so I can start on the body work.

DUB
Old 03-24-2017, 10:46 AM
porchdog
Drifting

if you warm the panel evenly first then control heat as you go it will come off in strips. it should come off with ease if warm enough. i can peel a door in 30 mins or less. areas where filler is applied will not release . leave them . chem strip will be tough with that much paint.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by porchdog
if you warm the panel evenly first then control heat as you go it will come off in strips. it should come off with ease if warm enough. i can peel a door in 30 mins or less. areas where filler is applied will not release . leave them . chem strip will be tough with that much paint.

With that much paint that is why I would either see if the razor blades and heat does the 'trick' or if I need to sand it down and leave a little bit so the chemical can do its thing.

Either way...it will take a lot of time but is not hopeless by no means.

DUB
Old 03-25-2017, 09:31 AM
porchdog
Drifting

i chemstripped a vette in the early 70s that had been painted multiple times. made a god awful mess before it was done. took about 5 rounds of stripper to get through it. why a 10 year old car was painted five or 6 times i dont know.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:58 PM
DUB
Race Director

i chemstripped a vette in the early 70s that had been painted multiple times. made a god awful mess before it was done. took about 5 rounds of stripper to get through it. why a 10 year old car was painted five or 6 times i dont know.
I HAVE been there also. That is when I finally learned to try to get as much off as fast as I can and IF I have to use chemical...I could and not have it be any harder than I know it could be.

DUB
Old 03-26-2017, 10:51 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I did the same to my 59 in 1976. Used a chem stripper, unfortunately I made the mistake of going to bare fiber
glass. I should have left the primer on which was in fairly good condition back then.

Last edited by Steve59; 03-26-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:01 AM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
There is the razor blade and heat method or stripper in addition to sanding. I would not want to sand off all of that material. I would(and did) use a stripper. DUB has a brand that he recommends but I don't remember it now. Yes, I didn't take my meds today.
I was really wrong on this one!!! Fortunately this forum has you pros, Porchdog and DUB, to help us out. Thank you for taking the time to help us.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:00 PM
porchdog
Drifting

the blade and heat just work for me. i've done it so long it come easy. many times i can peel large pieces off instead of strips.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Check this thread out...it gets kinda 'good'...that is all I am going to say about that.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-glass-2.html

DUB
Old 03-26-2017, 06:42 PM
porchdog
Drifting

blasting glass is touchy. even soda has a moh of 2.5 . corn cob works fairly well but can still cause trouble. expect to blow hairs out of the surface no matter what you use. i do blast sometimes but it depends on the car. many older vettes have degraded glass that needs to come off.

Last edited by porchdog; 03-26-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Recommendations on how to remove 13 layers of paint...

Quick Reply: Recommendations on how to remove 13 layers of paint...