Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

Side Steppin' Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 12:12 PM
chriscostas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Steppin' Clutch

What does that mean?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:30 PM
toolluster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of keeping you foot on the clutch as you let it out, you just slide your foot off while the clutch is still on the floor. I have never done this on my Z, but with enough rpm, it probably just lights up the tires. It seem that it would be hard on the clutch & driveline parts.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Default 2002 Z06 Program Office Launch Doc

This was clipped from a contemporaneous post about how the program office attained its acceleration figures for the 2002 Z06.

Please note that they side stepped the clutch. I talked with Dave Hill about this procedure at Carslile 2002 and he affirmed they were side stepping NOT doing a fast release as I and many other do.

Subject: 0-60mph / Drag strip Test Format for 2002 Z06 Corvette
Mime-Version: 1.0

0-60 MPH & 1/4 MILE ACCELERATION

VEHICLE PREP

Cold tire pressures F/R 30/30 psi. Active Handling turned off. A/C turned off. Full tank of fuel.

DRIVING TECHNIQUE

First an optimum launch rpm must be established which is a function of ambient temperature, sun load, track surface, tire temperature, vehicle loading .... etc. An optimum launch will allow enough wheel spin so that when the tires "hook up" to the pavement there is not a loss in vehicle acceleration. Find your optimum launch rpm by holding the engine rpm between approximately 1500 and 3500 rpm (depending on test conditions), then side step the clutch and go to full throttle. Do not slip the clutch, side stepping the clutch allows the engine inertia to break the tires loose from the pavement.

If you get excessive wheel spin, lower your launch rpm. If the vehicle acceleration "sags", increase your launch rpm. Some conditions require the driver to control wheel spin with throttle control, some do not. Speed shift all gear changes without lifting your foot off the throttle. Our Corvette drivetrain is designed for this. Data analysis subtracts 1 foot time and corrects test conditions to 60 degrees F.

A bit of Corvette history on program office techniques.

Ranger
Old 02-15-2006, 12:08 AM
InSaNeKaMeL
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ranger
This was clipped from a contemporaneous post about how the program office attained its acceleration figures for the 2002 Z06.

Please note that they side stepped the clutch. I talked with Dave Hill about this procedure at Carslile 2002 and he affirmed they were side stepping NOT doing a fast release as I and many other do.

Subject: 0-60mph / Drag strip Test Format for 2002 Z06 Corvette
Mime-Version: 1.0

0-60 MPH & 1/4 MILE ACCELERATION

VEHICLE PREP

Cold tire pressures F/R 30/30 psi. Active Handling turned off. A/C turned off. Full tank of fuel.

DRIVING TECHNIQUE

First an optimum launch rpm must be established which is a function of ambient temperature, sun load, track surface, tire temperature, vehicle loading .... etc. An optimum launch will allow enough wheel spin so that when the tires "hook up" to the pavement there is not a loss in vehicle acceleration. Find your optimum launch rpm by holding the engine rpm between approximately 1500 and 3500 rpm (depending on test conditions), then side step the clutch and go to full throttle. Do not slip the clutch, side stepping the clutch allows the engine inertia to break the tires loose from the pavement.

If you get excessive wheel spin, lower your launch rpm. If the vehicle acceleration "sags", increase your launch rpm. Some conditions require the driver to control wheel spin with throttle control, some do not. Speed shift all gear changes without lifting your foot off the throttle. Our Corvette drivetrain is designed for this. Data analysis subtracts 1 foot time and corrects test conditions to 60 degrees F.

A bit of Corvette history on program office techniques.

Ranger
anyone else really do it this way?? I've never tried it...

Get notified of new replies

To Side Steppin' Clutch

Quick Reply: Side Steppin' Clutch