Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

Sooooo, my torque tube blew up....

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 05:51 PM
mAydAy121
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Sooooo, my torque tube blew up....

Old 12-16-2010, 06:49 PM
simpleman68
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That?! pfffft. Nothing a little JB Weld can't fix up.

Sorry to hear Andy..... Never fun to have stuff crackin' on ya.
Scott
Old 12-16-2010, 07:19 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Ouch
Old 12-16-2010, 07:35 PM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts

That is one hell of a crack !!!
Old 12-16-2010, 07:56 PM
easyvette
Burning Brakes

^^^^^^^^^^

Curious what exhaust is that? Looks very close curious if heat played a role?
Old 12-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Yup definitely the exhaust causing that issue!!!!
Old 12-16-2010, 09:07 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

look who's back...

Mayday, looks like crap! Hard to imagine how that happened... Good luck with it.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:07 PM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Fartpipe
Yup definitely the exhaust causing that issue!!!!
You just can't help it can you ??
Old 12-16-2010, 11:17 PM
mAydAy121
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

Exhaust is called me, a welder, 3" tube, mandrel bends and no Corvette tax! It would have looked a lot better if I had my old shop, its a little hard to do in a garage without so much as a bandsaw

Oh, a little update....
Old 12-16-2010, 11:37 PM
mAydAy121
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

So I just split the torque tube apart, the BMW couplers rubbed a bunch (shocking) but nothing else is out of place or messed up besides the rear 'bellhousing' if you will.

I'm very puzzled by the whole situation, perhaps the engine was slightly misaligned?
Old 12-17-2010, 08:57 AM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Basically what has happened is a metalergical allergic reaction to the traction of said tire. The rotational force turns in a non linear motion causing the torsional deflection. This gets slightly complex when you torque your bolts to yield and then remove and retorque but over torque the bolts to achieve that torque spec that is not achieved evenly when there are hand tools used with left handed users with right handed tools. This will work in most cases in northern locations like Canada where the bolts stay cold and therefore hold tighter. However when you do this is southern hemispheres you must go back to GM ask for goodwill from Obama and torque with a torque wrench borrowed from Autozone that someone beat the crap out of and returned and completley incorrect. This will then enable the user to go right hand with his left handed tool and over torque the bolts past yield and possibly sheering off the head of the bolts. This is when skill and focus become key and you call TIRECRAFT for back up and just let him do it so you dont break your sh*t.

I hope this helps everyone to not do what you did!
Old 12-17-2010, 09:20 AM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Basically what has happened is a metalergical allergic reaction to the traction of said tire. The rotational force turns in a non linear motion causing the torsional deflection. This gets slightly complex when you torque your bolts to yield and then remove and retorque but over torque the bolts to achieve that torque spec that is not achieved evenly when there are hand tools used with left handed users with right handed tools. This will work in most cases in northern locations like Canada where the bolts stay cold and therefore hold tighter. However when you do this is southern hemispheres you must go back to GM ask for goodwill from Obama and torque with a torque wrench borrowed from Autozone that someone beat the crap out of and returned and completley incorrect. This will then enable the user to go right hand with his left handed tool and over torque the bolts past yield and possibly sheering off the head of the bolts. This is when skill and focus become key and you call TIRECRAFT for back up and just let him do it so you dont break your sh*t.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:58 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mAydAy121
Exhaust is called me, a welder, 3" tube, mandrel bends and no Corvette tax! It would have looked a lot better if I had my old shop, its a little hard to do in a garage without so much as a bandsaw

Oh, a little update....
DAMN! Can't remember seeing one do that before.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:42 AM
tirecraft
Drifting

Fartpipe is correct. But i will put it in english for you. My theory. Drag radial tire I assume? Dte brace, wheel hop, ka boom. You got better luck than some, I have seen blown ring and pinion/cracked input shaft/and broken torque tube and bellhousing all at once. The damage may have been done a while ago. Just decided to show up now. Good luck. May have a torque tube for you if need one.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Toxiclemonade
Racer

That's been exactly what I've been thinking, I've gotten wheel hop in the car one time, hopped a couple times real bad off the line on a cold track on ET Streets (tried starting with a higher than normal air pressure....didn't work out) before I could let out. That was a few weeks before it shattered. Its got a steel bellhousing so this was probably the next weak point.

So what is the deal with the 12mm torque tubes? Is it worth spending the money now or just wait until I blow it up on the bottle and put in a real one with u joints?

I guess I should quit hijacking computers and get back to supervising an LS7 clutch install, I think he's going down the right path now though
Old 12-17-2010, 02:07 PM
98vettedave
Drifting

Originally Posted by pit-man
It's metallurgical...dumb fart.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:24 PM
simpleman68
Le Mans Master

Nah man.... all he's gotta do is buy the turbo encabulator and all his problems are fixed.

Scott
Old 12-19-2010, 06:34 PM
mAydAy121
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

I powered up the flux capacitor and picked up a new torque tube from Rick Kim todY. Let's see how long it lasts, it's a 10mm with a welded bell housing. I'm interested to see if i can snap the prop shaft in half with a hefty hit of laughing gas...

Get notified of new replies

To Sooooo, my torque tube blew up....

Quick Reply: Sooooo, my torque tube blew up....