Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

A couple of drag racing questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Mark-44
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since your running with stock runflats try your take offs with the traction control on. Before my car had drag radials I logged better and much safer times (in the 12's) with traction control on...
Old 03-18-2012, 10:27 PM
jcblade
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I guess I'll try leaving the traction control on and doing a burnout. One more question, just want to make sure I do the burnout the same as I used to. Do you still hold up the emergency brake to do the burnout?
Old 03-20-2012, 03:33 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark-44
Since your running with stock runflats try your take offs with the traction control on. Before my car had drag radials I logged better and much safer times (in the 12's) with traction control on...
That's another possible option as well.

Originally Posted by jcblade
OK, I guess I'll try leaving the traction control on and doing a burnout.
With a strong enough burnout you might not even need to use the traction control, you might have to try it both ways and see which works best.

One more question, just want to make sure I do the burnout the same as I used to. Do you still hold up the emergency brake to do the burnout?
I never use the emergency brake, strictly just the two pedals only. Hold the brake with the left foot and whack the gas with the right one and then balance the brake application accordingly, applying only enough brakes to keep the car from pushing forward but not so much so that it prevents the rears from spinning quickly in place and/or overheating the rear and the brakes etc.
Going through the water box with street tires is often frowned upon but I still do it anyway. You just have to be careful to roll through it slowly and not splash it all up into the wheel wells, and then ya have to REALLY bake the tires to dry the water off of them and also heat them up well.
Now, I'm not telling you to absolutely go through the water box because if you don't do it just right it could make things worse, but I personally will not even attempt a 'dry' burnout in my cars anymore, regardless of what tires I'm on. Both of my current car's transmissions and rear differentials have thanked me for this over the years.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:22 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by indwind34
I went to the track last night for the first time in my Y2k coupe a4, it has the 3.15 gear and is completely stock. Best time of the night was 13.12 @108 mph with a 1.97 60 ft. Temp. was 81 degrees. All other times was + or - .01 im the time. Let me know if anyone is interested & i'll post a pic of the time slips.
Pretty much identical to what mine runs. 13.05 @ 107. No burnout. TC off. 2000 A4 3.15.

Ron
Old 03-21-2012, 09:45 PM
jcblade
Advanced

Went to the track tonight. This time I left the traction control on. What a difference. Ran a best of 13.44 with a 2.04 60ft. Didn't do a burn out, maybe next time. Need to launch better and bring down the 60ft. Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Blu
Melting Slicks

OK, I guess I'll try leaving the traction control on and doing a burnout. One more question, just want to make sure I do the burnout the same as I used to. Do you still hold up the emergency brake to do the burnout?
You are RWD now, no need to use the emergency brake lol.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:19 AM
drivejumpfly
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by paint it black vette
traction control off and 3rd gear is the way you go. i finish across the stripe in 3rd with 3.73 gears with 3600 stall with a 26.1 inch tall dr. when i went down track with a 25.6 inch dr i bumped off rev limiter just before the finish line about 1250ft. both tires hoosiers the first a 16" and the second a 17". of course my rev limiter is turned up a bit but your stock dont worry your good to go.
Old thread, but by starting in 3rd and leaving it there the entire time, how many launches will the transmission take before it needs to be rebuild?
Old 10-31-2016, 09:37 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

All depends on power level.

Leaving the shift lever in 3rd is the correct way to drag race the C5.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:04 AM
drivejumpfly
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I am going to compare my log results and see how much of a difference leaving it in drive vs starting in third made. The key to launching this car is to apply the throttle at just the right rate. I am pretty sure I spun the tires too much, and it would not hurt to buy a set of drag radials.

Quick Reply: A couple of drag racing questions.