Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

Advice needed for good street/strip setup - NJ 1/4 mile guys please step in ---->

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 02:51 PM
DropTheTop
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Opinions needed for good street/strip setup - NJ 1/4 mile guys please step in ----->

Rob Z, Gary, Paint it black vette, 98tadriver - I hope you guys read this:

I had the pleasure of meeting several of you last year during the ATCO track rental on 9/16/11.
I was the guy that made the ribs.

If was my first time ever on a track, and my setup and best time were as follows:

1998 A4 Vert w/ 2:73's
Stage II Jet Performance Module, Vararam CAI, TB coolant bypass, 180 stat, VR-3 velocity stack, Borla X-pipe and B&B Bullets (quad tips).
Tires: GY Runflats @ 25psi

R/T: .095
60': 1.977
330: 5.501
1/8: 8.354
MPH: 86.44
1000: 10.836
1/4: 12.953
MPH: 107.10

OK, so for 2012 I'm hoping to make it back to ATCO, and would like to start planning my next stage of upgrades. I mainly run the car on the street, and not too much highway. Only a couple thousand miles a year, tops (not my DD). My goal is to gain more SOTP and spirited driving on the street, and also be able to attend a couple track rentals a year and get into the low 11's (like 98tadriver for example). Before throwing more power into the motor, I'd like to beef up the drivetrain a bit first.

For the rear, I am considering an RKT56 built diff w/ 3.42 gears, and C6Z06 shafts, clutches, springs, pinion carrier, seals.

For the trans, I am considering a Yank 3200 stall converter.

Along with those two mods, I'm thinking of tying it all together with the following:

ECS - Trans Brace
Pfadt - Trans brace, sways, control arm poly bushing kit.
****-can the Jet Performance module, and get mail-order tune from ECS.

My question to those of you who have been there and done that, is would you recommend a different setup (3.73's, Yank 3600, etc...) or does the setup I have listed sound about right for street / occasional strip? I have since ditched the runcraps, and installed a set of Michelin PS2, 245/40-17 front and 315/30-18 rear. For track days I'll most likely mount drag radials in the back on extra wheels.

In order to better answer, I'll outline my future plans for 2013 as well:

XS power - LT headers and X-pipe w/cats
Pfadt - engine mounts
Elite Engineering - tunnel plate
Unknown - Intake / throttle body combo and appropriate fuel delivery upgrades.
160 degree stat
ECS - Dyno / street tune after swapping out 1998 PCM in favor of newer upgrade.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading and hopefully giving this some serious thought.

Last edited by DropTheTop; 05-03-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:33 AM
joe11204
Procharged F1X 7.18 @ 197
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by DropTheTop
Rob Z, Gary, Paint it black vette, 98tadriver - I hope you guys read this:

I had the pleasure of meeting several of you last year during the ATCO track rental on 9/16/11.
I was the guy that made the ribs.

If was my first time ever on a track, and my setup and best time were as follows:

Stage II Jet Performance Module, Vararam CAI, TB coolant bypass, 180 stat, VR-3 velocity stack, Borla X-pipe and B&B Bullets (quad tips).

R/T: .095
60': 1.977
330: 5.501
1/8: 8.354
MPH: 86.44
1000: 10.836
1/4: 12.953
MPH: 107.10

OK, so for 2012 I'm hoping to make it back to ATCO, and would like to start planning my next stage of upgrades. I mainly run the car on the street, and not too much highway. Only a couple thousand miles a year, tops (not my DD). My goal is to gain more SOTP and spirited driving on the street, and also be able to attend a couple track rentals a year and get into the low 11's (like 98tadriver for example). Before throwing more power into the motor, I'd like to beef up the drivetrain a bit first.

For the rear, I am considering an RKT56 built diff w/ 3.42 gears, and C6Z06 shafts, clutches, springs, pinion carrier, seals.

Along with those two mods, I'm thinking of tying it all together with the following:

ECS - Trans Brace

My question to those of you who have been there and done that, is would you recommend a different setup (3.73's, Yank 3600, etc...) or does the setup I have listed sound about right for street / occasional strip? I have since ditched the runcraps, and installed a set of Michelin PS2, 245/40-17 front and 315/30-18 rear. For track days I'll most likely mount drag radials in the back on extra wheels.

Pfadt - engine mounts
160 degree stat

If you made it this far, thanks for reading and hopefully giving this some serious thought.

I don't think they liked the ribs since they aren't responding.

Now that I have dispensed with the humor. The most important thing is that you had a great time at ATCO and that you have a well laid out plan to improve the performance of your car.

There is nothing wrong with the mods you listed and of course there are other options you can take. I would do the 2013 mods in conjunction with the 2012 mods if it is in your budget. Your listed mods should put you in the 11's.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:38 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

ECS - Trans Brace

Pfadt - engine mounts
160 degree stat
You're definitely on the right track in my opinion. The 3200 stall and 3.42 gears will make for an awesome street/strip combo while retaining great fuel economy and quieter highway traveling (lower RPMs). But the 3600 stall and 3.73 gears will make it even quicker and since you're going in there already that's what I would suggest going with.
Drag radials will be a must for the track after the converter and gears go in and a set of skinnies will help reduce ETs a little more and grab some extra MPH.

Originally Posted by joe11204
I don't think they liked the ribs since they aren't responding.
LOL
Oh we certainly LOVED the ribs, they were awesome and helped make an already awesome track rental that much better, thanks again DropTheTop.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:22 AM
DropTheTop
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by joe11204
There is nothing wrong with the mods you listed and of course there are other options you can take. I would do the 2013 mods in conjunction with the 2012 mods if it is in your budget. Your listed mods should put you in the 11's.
Unfortunately, I'll have to save up and spread out the mod schedule. I tried to split them up in a way that makes sense to me though.

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
You're definitely on the right track in my opinion. The 3200 stall and 3.42 gears will make for an awesome street/strip combo while retaining great fuel economy and quieter highway traveling (lower RPMs). But the 3600 stall and 3.73 gears will make it even quicker and since you're going in there already that's what I would suggest going with.
Drag radials will be a must for the track after the converter and gears go in and a set of skinnies will help reduce ETs a little more and grab some extra MPH.
Rick from RKT56 agrees about the 3200 and 3.42's. He has been nothing but helpful with his time and advice. I am in no way questioning him, but rather wanting to hear from more people who may be in my situation with an A4 and the desire to run street/occasional strip. I have been reading all over the forum about people being happy with the 3600 and 3.73's, hence my reservations. The biggest thing holding me back from choosing the 3.73's is the potential desire for an ECS SC setup in a couple years. I have read that traction would be quite a challenge then with the 3.73's and SC. Therefore, If I can get in the 11's with the 3200 and 3.42's, then I think I'll lean in that direction. Thoughts??

As for the skinnies, I read some people are using the GTO spares with M&H 185/55/17's. This sounds like a nice way to have a couple spares in the event I get a flat, and also have an affordable track setup. Can you actually drive on the street with those tires, like 20 miles or so??

I'm glad you enjoyed the ribs!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:40 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

What are the rules for a roll bar in a vert?
I know it's 11.49 and quicker for my coupe.
Ron
Old 05-03-2012, 08:55 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

13.49 is the roll bar limit. That is sometimes overlooked at some events on some tracks - so I've heard... But I wouldn't count on it.

OP, your plan is a good one. Converter and gears first with a good tune from the guys at ECS and your car will wake up nicely. It'll still be a joy to drive anywhere as well. I would likely stick with 3.42 gears, as they will be a nice change from what you're used to and with your long term goal of FI.

If you were going for a max effort NA build, I'd certainly suggest a larger stall and shorter gears.
Put a good drag radial on it for your track visits.

Low 11s is not an easy task to do with just bolt ons.

Good luck with your quest.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:07 AM
DropTheTop
Melting Slicks

^ Well, I'm not completely sure I want to go FI in the future. I'm actually thinking mid 11's with H/C setup will more satisfy my desire for that old muscle car feel and sound. Maybe go with the 3.42's but step up to the 3600 stall??

Any idea if running with a Smoothline hardtop would be a legal option over a roll bar?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:43 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

At most tracks, a smoothline (or other brand) hardtop is good to 11.50

3.42 with a 3600 stall sounds like a good idea.

I'm not too sure I'd take any advise from me though. I've never driven a stalled auto until 4 days ago... I have a 4000 Yank and 3.42s. It's a bit different than I expected - even though I'm not sure whhat I expected. I do like it though.

I have a mild cam and my heads had a valve job and milling at D&F Perfromance in Berlin NJ.

I built my car for one purpose - to run 11.50 in any weather conditions (except snow)

It's probably a bit overkill, but I wanted to err on the side of overkill, as opposed to not running 11.50 in 95+ degree weather.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:53 AM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Capthuff
At most tracks, a smoothline (or other brand) hardtop is good to 11.50

3.42 with a 3600 stall sounds like a good idea.

I'm not too sure I'd take any advise from me though. I've never driven a stalled auto until 4 days ago... I have a 4000 Yank and 3.42s. It's a bit different than I expected - even though I'm not sure whhat I expected. I do like it though.I have a mild cam and my heads had a valve job and milling at D&F Perfromance in Berlin NJ.

I built my car for one purpose - to run 11.50 in any weather conditions (except snow)

It's probably a bit overkill, but I wanted to err on the side of overkill, as opposed to not running 11.50 in 95+ degree weather.
Huff, you will just smile when you launch your Auto with that stall
Old 05-03-2012, 10:04 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Capthuff
13.49 is the roll bar limit. That is sometimes overlooked at some events on some tracks - so I've heard... But I wouldn't count on it.

OP, your plan is a good one. Converter and gears first with a good tune from the guys at ECS and your car will wake up nicely. It'll still be a joy to drive anywhere as well. I would likely stick with 3.42 gears, as they will be a nice change from what you're used to and with your long term goal of FI.

If you were going for a max effort NA build, I'd certainly suggest a larger stall and shorter gears.
Put a good drag radial on it for your track visits.

Low 11s is not an easy task to do with just bolt ons.

Good luck with your quest.
My track will boot ya on the first infraction. They used to look the other way.
So, with the mods in my .sig, I hope to get booted the first full pass. I won't put a bar in it until I need to. Problem is, I have been breaking the rules at my track for 30 years, they won't be looking the other way! Ha!

Of course my car hasn't turned a tire yet. Turned out to be a bigger project than I thought......another month or so.

Ron
Old 05-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

My goal is to gain more SOTP and spirited driving on the street, and also be able to attend a couple track rentals a year and get into the low 11's (like 98tadriver for example). Before throwing more power into the motor, I'd like to beef up the drivetrain a bit first.

You can get a 3:42 Z06 rear installed for about 1200 at a local shop, the seat of the pants (SOTP) will amaze you for a while going from the 2:73's to 3:42's alone!

My question to those of you who have been there and done that, is would you recommend a different setup (3.73's, Yank 3600, etc...) or does the setup I have listed sound about right for street / occasional strip?

I had the 2:73's then 3:42's and now the 3:73's. I went with the Z06 rear and a little later just upgraded to 3:73's. I would recommend putting in the higher stall and 3:73's ONLY if you were taking it to the track more then once or twice a year ...

For track days I'll most likely mount drag radials in the back on extra wheels.

Pfadt - engine mounts - not needed
160 degree stat - not needed I know some tuners like the lower temp stat but the motor runs (optimal) at about 183* - i'm running 185* stat but have EWP
ECS - Dyno / street tune after swapping out 1998 PCM in favor of newer upgrade. Good idea but the PCM may not be needed yet ... we changed my PCM mostly because my "98" didn't like to be data-loged and would shut-down when shifting into second while trying to collect data on runs. You will pick up a little but the $$$ could be used elsewhere in the motor to build Hp ..., My "98" ran a 10.76 with the older PCM

my 2 cents

Last edited by Rob Petyo; 05-03-2012 at 04:35 PM. Reason: added times
Old 05-03-2012, 04:49 PM
DropTheTop
Melting Slicks

^ Thanks, some great info there. That's just the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

I figured on the Pfadt engine mounts when I get the headers put in. They take so much shake out of the motor, I figured what a great time to do it. Why aren't they needed?

If I don't really need the 160 stat, I'll just leave the 180 stat in.

As for the PCM, I just figured for a couple hundred more bucks for the upgrade, ECS could have more tuning options. I'll confirm with them when the time is right.

Thanks Hot_Wheels!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Don't get me wrong, I think the Pfadt work well at my power level. Paint it Black also has them! We replaced the motor mounts when things started to go "BANG" in the rear from the torque catching up in the drive-train. If you get to that level ... you will definitely know what *-bang-* I'm talking about. They do shake the car slightly more and any vibrations sometimes can be seen through your side and rear-view mirrors.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:31 PM
DropTheTop
Melting Slicks

I'm trying to be proactive with some of the stiffening mods, in order to hopefully avoid some of those *bang!* moments, lol.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:11 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

An option for a happy medium on engine mounts are the Hinson Motorsports urethane mounts. I just put a set in my car. My build is more geared towards street able fun as opposed to max effort like hot wheels and PIB.

But with 157,000 miles on my stock ones, they were shot.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:25 PM
DropTheTop
Melting Slicks

Hmmm....interesting. I'll look into those, thanks. I definitely think I should replace the stock mounts with something better, before shoehorning LT headers.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

I'm trying to be proactive with some of the stiffening mods, in order to hopefully avoid some of those *bang!* moments, lol.
then don't go with "poly" bushings all around

Get notified of new replies

To Advice needed for good street/strip setup - NJ 1/4 mile guys please step in ---->

Old 05-03-2012, 08:02 PM
DropTheTop
Melting Slicks

Really? Can you elaborate for the uneducated?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

the nature on the harder polyurethane doesn't allow the control arms to absorb shock/vibrations like the OEM rubber ones.

it's stiffer but mine handles like its on rails especially with the hotchkis sway bars. it also keeps the rears flatter/straighter on the ground (trying to keep more rubber on the track).

my 2 cents
Old 05-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

those moments put a smile on your face cutting 1.3X 60'

Quick Reply: Advice needed for good street/strip setup - NJ 1/4 mile guys please step in ---->