Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

drag tips for noobs

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 05:16 PM
blacknyellow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drag tips for noobs

first time ever going to the drag strip I wanted to know you guys have any tips for me to get the best 1/4 mile time all I have is just for Borla exhaust and just regular street tires . Do you guys prefer competitive driving mode or just no traction off and what's the best rpm to launch at? and any other advice would be much appreciated
Old 04-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Paul Huizenga
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blacknyellow
first time ever going to the drag strip I wanted to know you guys have any tips for me to get the best 1/4 mile time all I have is just for Borla exhaust and just regular street tires . Do you guys prefer competitive driving mode or just no traction off and what's the best rpm to launch at? and any other advice would be much appreciated
Spend your first visit at the track just getting used to how everything works - how they run the staging lanes, do they want cars on street tires to drive around the water box instead of through it, getting the car positioned properly in the beams, etc.

Don't try to get the best possible run out of your car, or rotate the earth beneath you when you launch it. Get comfortable with driving on the dragstrip, and learn how your car reacts and drives before really beating on it.

You'll save yourself embarrassment and possibly a crash by not trying to make it all happen the first time out.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:15 AM
Sideswipe505
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

If you've never ran anything at the track before, I'd leave your traction control on and get a feel for the car, then work your way up to it. I'm on stock runflats at the moment and its a little sketchy to launch on them, I had to feather it pretty good and I'm on stock power.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:32 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

1. Just remember that you cannot do a burnout with traction control on. Competitive Mode was used on the C5Z to still have AH engaged. A burnout is not necessary if you would leave like you are starting off at a traffic signal.
2. Do not air street tires down below 24 psi.
3. If you get wheelhop, ABORT pass immediately.
4. When you stage the car, slowly drive in to light the TOP bulb, then stop. Slowly creep in to light the second bulb, then stop immediately.
5. Most of all, have fun.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:34 AM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Huizenga
Spend your first visit at the track just getting used to how everything works - how they run the staging lanes, do they want cars on street tires to drive around the water box instead of through it, getting the car positioned properly in the beams, etc.

Don't try to get the best possible run out of your car, or rotate the earth beneath you when you launch it. Get comfortable with driving on the dragstrip, and learn how your car reacts and drives before really beating on it.

You'll save yourself embarrassment and possibly a crash by not trying to make it all happen the first time out.
Great advice! +1 There's nothing worse than going racing and seeing someone who has no idea what's going on and could potentially hurt themselves or others. Get comfortable with what's going on, ask questions, and have fun. It's all about enjoy yourself and meeting others.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:39 AM
123sugey
Dig
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 756 Likes on 513 Posts

The first thing I do when going to a new track is go online and see the birds eye view of the track. This way you can see where the turn off lanes at the end of the 1/4 are and a general idea of the track itself.
Have fun
Old 04-03-2013, 12:07 PM
Johnz02Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Some good tips here

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...r-avoided.html
Old 04-04-2013, 01:23 AM
blacknyellow
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnz02Z06
Yea that is a good thread. I learned a lot.

Anyone know what rpms to launch a stick at?
Old 04-04-2013, 01:35 AM
Sideswipe505
Instructor

That's going to depend on a lot of variables. Your driving abilities, what tires you're on, gearing, clutch, etc. find what works for you and what gets you the best 60' time. My old camaro loved 4000-4500 rpm dumps but it was sitting on a 9" w/ 3.90 gears and 28" slicks with a monster stage 3 clutch.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:41 AM
blacknyellow
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sideswipe505
That's going to depend on a lot of variables. Your driving abilities, what tires you're on, gearing, clutch, etc. find what works for you and what gets you the best 60' time. My old camaro loved 4000-4500 rpm dumps but it was sitting on a 9" w/ 3.90 gears and 28" slicks with a monster stage 3 clutch.
Ill just have to mess around but this track you only get like 4-5 passes total so I'm going to have to learn really quick
Old 04-04-2013, 07:41 AM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts

Just my opinion..but if I were you I would maybe rev to about 2000rpm and on the second yellow light, slowly get into the gas as you slip the clutch pretty fast. If you get too hard into the gas right away you will probably just spin.

Take off like you are going to turn left in front of on coming traffic on the street. That should get you launched pretty decent.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:59 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

That's going to depend on a lot of variables. Your driving abilities, what tires you're on, gearing, clutch, etc. find what works for you and what gets you the best 60' time.

Track prep and track temps are critical as well.
My old camaro loved 4000-4500 rpm dumps but it was sitting on a 9" w/ 3.90 gears and 28" slicks with a monster stage 3 clutch.
Try that with a Vette and the rear will be all over the track.
Originally Posted by pit-man
Just my opinion..but if I were you I would maybe rev to about 2000rpm and on the second yellow light, slowly get into the gas as you slip the clutch pretty fast. If you get too hard into the gas right away you will probably just spin.

Take off like you are going to turn left in front of on coming traffic on the street. That should get you launched pretty decent.

OP- Since this is your first time, try this. Do not try to hit a Home Run the first time out.
The below link will answer many questions. Ranger has taught many of us.
http://www.rangeracceleration.com/
Old 04-04-2013, 09:37 AM
Sideswipe505
Instructor

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06

Track prep and track temps are critical as well.

Try that with a Vette and the rear will be all over the track.

OP- Since this is your first time, try this. Do not try to hit a Home Run the first time out.
The below link will answer many questions. Ranger has taught many of us.
http://www.rangeracceleration.com/
I have already figured that out lol.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:58 AM
MikeV
Drifting

Here is the biggest tip that everyone forgot. If you start spinning the tires let off the gas and don't floor it again. You will just unload the tires and get yourself in trouble. If your spinning the tires your ET is shot anyway so just drive it to the end, don't floor it. I have seen 2 inexperienced drivers crash their Vettes by getting back on the gas after spinning street tires.

Hope this helps.

Mike V
Old 04-04-2013, 07:29 PM
blacknyellow
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeV
Here is the biggest tip that everyone forgot. If you start spinning the tires let off the gas and don't floor it again. You will just unload the tires and get yourself in trouble. If your spinning the tires your ET is shot anyway so just drive it to the end, don't floor it. I have seen 2 inexperienced drivers crash their Vettes by getting back on the gas after spinning street tires.

Hope this helps.

Mike V
That's a good one. Thank you
Old 04-12-2013, 04:05 PM
tommyo4
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also am a newbie to the drag strip. I'll be running my 97 coupe 6 speed for the first time tomorrow morning at Englishtown NJ. I just finished getting the long tubes, x pipe and borla kit on it and a bbk cold air intake. Got it dynoed and now ready to go!

I feel as though I am a good driver but well see tomorrow. What can I expect to see and feel? What numbers for 1/4 and any pointers.

Wish me luck!
Old 04-24-2013, 12:11 AM
tds69tx
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tommyo4
I also am a newbie to the drag strip. I'll be running my 97 coupe 6 speed for the first time tomorrow morning at Englishtown NJ. I just finished getting the long tubes, x pipe and borla kit on it and a bbk cold air intake. Got it dynoed and now ready to go!

I feel as though I am a good driver but well see tomorrow. What can I expect to see and feel? What numbers for 1/4 and any pointers.

Wish me luck!
I'm guessing 2.375 --- 0-60'---13.7 at 108 mph

Get notified of new replies

To drag tips for noobs

Old 04-24-2013, 12:42 AM
blacknyellow
Instructor

I got a 2.3 60 ft
With 13.7 at 107
I really need practice
Old 04-25-2013, 11:49 AM
tacman
Pro

St. Jude Donor '13
Default Drag Strip Noob

Originally Posted by Paul Huizenga

This is far and away the best track advice I've seen!! Kudos, Paul!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:10 PM
Paul Huizenga
Racer

Originally Posted by tacman
This is far and away the best track advice I've seen!! Kudos, Paul!
Thank you very much. I'm here all week - don't forget to tip your server! :-)

Quick Reply: drag tips for noobs