Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

At what MPH and/or RPM does a Vararam VR-B2 begin to work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 06:58 PM
crznZ06
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default At what MPH and/or RPM does a Vararam VR-B2 begin to work?

I was just wondering when the ram air effect on a Vararam begins to work on a stock LS1. Is it a function of vehicle speed, engine speed, or both?

I'm specifically interested in what happens between 2,000 rpms and 5,000 rpms and speeds between 25 mph and 65 mph. This is essentially second gear on an MN6 with 3.42 gears with a 25.5" tire.

Dyno pulls aren't done in second gear, and the ram air effect doesn't really get realized unless the car is actually moving. Does anyone have any quantitative data on this (e.g. break downs/splits of quarter mile runs)?

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2014, 11:43 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

There are many big debates on the whole "ram air" topic. At the end of the day, I think it may have a very small advantage/gain at speeds 100+ from ram air, but the rest is just marketing hype. I didn't notice any sort of MAP "gain" from the intake in my datalogs.

What Vararam is very good at though is pulling cold air from outside into the engine. When I had mine, IAT was rock solid 1-2 degrees above ambient...even after sitting/idling for extended periods. This is particularly nice for drag race applications where you can be stuck in the staging lanes, where heatsoak typically is an issue.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:55 PM
briannutter1
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with the previous post that even at Zero mph, it's great at pulling in cold air. I have one on my C5Z that I ran at the Willmington Ohio Standing Mile. Mild HCI 346 makes 450whp on the dyno and I was going anywhere from 177-179 through the traps. Unfortunately I've never logged KPA, but if I head back next year, I will.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:47 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

I'd like to see manifold pressure logs at those kind of speeds! Either way I suspect it won't be anything... maybe if you removed the air filter.

Get notified of new replies

To At what MPH and/or RPM does a Vararam VR-B2 begin to work?

Quick Reply: At what MPH and/or RPM does a Vararam VR-B2 begin to work?