Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

LS1 mild build help

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 12:44 AM
Ziggy91
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1 mild build help

My C5 is about to turn 200k miles on the original engine so I just purchased a new LS1 block from GM, and have some new standard Mahle pistons on the way to build a replacement engine.

I'm deciding between a standard LS6 cam and the LS1 hot cam. I'm using a new set of ported and polished 806 heads and my LS1 intake. Also reusing my LG long tube headers, x pipe, and magnaflow hi-flow cat and catback exhaust so I wouldn't mind an aggressive lobe, but want daily driveability.

What's the best way to go with my stock heads, intake, and block? If anything, I want a good cam and set of springs. Not looking for anything above 400hp.

Thank you
Old 08-28-2014, 12:11 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't bother with either of those cams. If you want durability and power, go with something like a 224 or 228 cam, keep lift in the high 500's (580-590) with LSA in the 114+ range, and you would have a good strong cam to build on if you ever did want more power.
If you look around, you can find some 243's heads for a reasonable price, and once again, you will have something you don't have to change out later.
It will be a lot better to do it right the 1st time
Old 08-28-2014, 04:46 PM
Ziggy91
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm trying to keep power down because this is my daily and I do lots of mixed city and highway. That's why I'm more focused on driveability than power, listing those cams. Need something similar to those for more options.

I'm finishing up a swap on a C4 with a new performance 350 and a ZF6 which might be focused on auto-x or even the track like Sonoma, Laguna, or Thunder Hill. I don't want my C5 to be too erratic or difficult to drive daily. However, there's no point to putting in another stock LS1 when I can improve power a little bit.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:35 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Then use the LS6 cam. It's much tamer than the HOT cam.

Get notified of new replies

To LS1 mild build help

Quick Reply: LS1 mild build help