Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

Give me power at low RPM

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 11:26 AM
TIIMuch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree, the light flywheel will not store as much energy. And also that you may have to input a bit more gas pedal to start off from a standing start.

But the driveline also becomes lighter and is easier to accelerate with the available power.
Again, like the gears, realized torque at the wheels were it counts.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:30 AM
TIIMuch
Intermediate

http://www.magnacharger.com/p-42-cor...arger-kit.aspx

Hmmm,...one weekends worth of work, no pulling the motor apart or the rear half of the car to get at the flywheel and rear diff because of the BIG power upgrade at low rpm,...yes,...actually that may be the most cost effective route.

Last edited by TIIMuch; 11-23-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:02 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Debra Burkhardt
And Stroker 87 described distinctly what I felt too, a sluggishness at the low end which I don't like. I want her to jump when I stomp on her. Thank you gentlemen.
for what your asking and the chance it made in my car i'm sure you'd be pleased as I am

I was really surprised how much my car felt under powered in 1st gear being the previous owner had installed Long tube, off road X pipe and tune making 383rwhp and 362rwtq all that and it just felt it didnt have enough till it hit the power band (kinda like waiting for a turbo to build boost) every gear now feels good and pulls much better, kinda thinking I should of put 3.90 ratio but I do a lot of expressway driving at 70/80mph and was worried it tach to high and really kill my mpg lol
Old 11-23-2014, 01:25 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

I agree with 540. Roots type blower. And lower gears. Along with a proper tune to avoid detonation.

This would be a rocket from just past idle thru 6000.

The issue would then become rear tire life....

Ron
Old 11-23-2014, 05:52 PM
Debra Burkhardt
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Hot_Wheels
go with 4:10 gears and a nice 224/228 cam IMHO but what do I know? I drive automatics with 3:73 gears and a BIG cam

what are your overall goals with the car?
Hello Hot Wheels
Ok here are my goals as I know them today. Things change but. Street driving. I don't like to go particularly fast. I prefer power, I like maneuverability.

How I got started here was driving by boyfriend's modified '95 Z28. It is stroked out to 383, 211/219 cam I think, Al flywheel, hardly a muffler, other mods no doubt. Apparently some folks consider his a baby cam. I don't know about that but I can tell you that I can cruise at 1000 rpm in 6th in that car and if I need to punch it it's there. Ok? And his car is not that rough at idle, the cam isn't that big. I don't mind having to carefully engage to get started because of that flywheel. And I like the noise. Although to be honest I think I would prefer my Black Beauty to be just a tad more refined and classy than my boyfriend's Beast.

I don't like the sound of high revs so I won't be driving her that way. I don't want the power to be focused at the high rpm range. Do I eyeball the guy next to me at a stoplight? Yes. Do I want be able to pass other vehicles without a problem in curves driving the Crowsnest Highway? Yes.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:36 AM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Debra Burkhardt
Hi Guys
Just bought a 2000 C5 in mint condition. The only upgrade is the air intake. There is a WCC exhaust on the garage floor that will be installed soon. Stock cam is 198/209 with an LSA of 115.5.

I am looking for torque at low rpm. I am not going to drive her very often at high rpm so I want to have it low down. Curve should rise steeply and flatten out. What do you folks suggest? We may be perhaps talking mostly cam shaft but there may be other factors like rear end ratio etc. I am (relatively) not $ restricted. I'm also a newbie here but not dumb. Just a steep learning curve!

Deb
Cam wont do what you want.....Magnacharger will...

Quick Reply: Give me power at low RPM