Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

Power gains from heads

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 12:58 AM
Jon_ganow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power gains from heads

Been thinking about swapping my heads for quite some time and was hoping to get some input on power increase expectations. I currently have a 232/236 cam with longtubes and an off road x pipe on a 01 ls6. Car made 411 on a dyno jet. Any ideas on power increases from a head swap? I was thinking about adding the dart 225s or maybe sending the stock 243s for porting. Thoughts?
Old 02-03-2015, 09:09 AM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It seems to run strong with that cam now and with some CNC 243's I can see ~40 whp more give or take a few. Using your cam specs one can calculate a dynamic compression number to shoot for so when you add the heads you can have the chamber volume CC optimized. You might need to flycut pistons for best results due to smaller chambers, etc. It all depends and should be measured.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:08 AM
Jon_ganow
Advanced

I was hoping to stay with an out of the box head or a mild port and valve job on the stock heads like texas speed offers in their stage 2.5 head porting. I know most aftermarket heads including the darts use 62cc combustion chambers and slightly larger valves than the standard ls6 heads.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:17 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Obviously I have not seen every build that has used dart or eddlebrock heads but any of the ones I have seen do not seem to make good power. That could be that the people did not research the parts to go with the those heads and nothing to do with the quality of the heads. But I personally would not buy them. You do see people making good power with AFR and trickflow heads. The texas speed option is a good budget friendly option. There are couple other companies to check out like TEA(total engine airflow) and Advanced induction.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:43 PM
Anthraxmm
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silver408z
Obviously I have not seen every build that has used dart or eddlebrock heads but any of the ones I have seen do not seem to make good power. That could be that the people did not research the parts to go with the those heads and nothing to do with the quality of the heads. But I personally would not buy them. You do see people making good power with AFR and trickflow heads. The texas speed option is a good budget friendly option. There are couple other companies to check out like TEA(total engine airflow) and Advanced induction.
+1 on TEA and AI
Old 02-11-2015, 10:05 PM
itsonlyairandfuel
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 241 Posts

You pick the best heads you can afford. Then the cam is tailored to your car. Cu. In, transmission, gear ratio, tire size, exhaust and air intake modification. And the rpm range you want to use it in. If not you get a car that is sluggish, and no fun to drive. Ron B.http://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomete...k-results.html
Old 02-20-2015, 02:59 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by Jon_ganow
Been thinking about swapping my heads for quite some time and was hoping to get some input on power increase expectations. I currently have a 232/236 cam with longtubes and an off road x pipe on a 01 ls6. Car made 411 on a dyno jet. Any ideas on power increases from a head swap? I was thinking about adding the dart 225s or maybe sending the stock 243s for porting. Thoughts?
Darts are a good choice out the box. If you go with ported 243s you need to get a great porter to work on them. I personally ran dart 205s with a similar sized cam (Futral F14) and all the standard bolt ons. My 01 made just over 450 rwhp with that setup. I eventually sold the 205s thinking they were holding me back on my 383 stroker build. I had Larry Meaux port my 243s and put them on the car. I lost a little torque compared to the darts, but picked up a little more HP.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:17 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

I'd give Tony Mamo a shot.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:57 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 904 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by robz
I'd give Tony Mamo a shot.
OP.....You need these!

Brand new.....most efficient modest sized valve/runner cathedral head on the market IMO and I have seen alot of heads. I designed this head specifically to optimize stock displacement combinations (5.7/6.0/6.2).

It's my new MMS 220 head and flows in the vicinity of 320 CFM out of the box (real numbers on an accurate bench) with a strong exhaust port and solid low and mid lift flow on both as well.....very efficient piece. I suspect in the next couple of months you will see a handful of very positive results from these heads. In fact, I'm building a 347 to showcase their potential right now and should be on the dyno in 4-6 weeks time permitting but you will likely see independent results from a few of my customers on the chassis dyno before I find the time to finish the engine and get to the engine dyno.

I'm excited about this new program....out of the box they flow more than much more costly "Mamofied" hand finished AFR 215 heads I have sold and had excellent results with so they offer the end user an enormous value.

Here is an example of independent results with those heads....almost 490 RWHP with a 220's cam.....I expect the new MMS 220's to perform even better

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...fied-99-a.html

Cheers,
Tony
Old 02-26-2015, 02:39 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Whats the deck thickness on these Tony? What blanks are they cut on (if you can tell) lol
Old 02-26-2015, 05:44 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by slow ride
Whats the deck thickness on these Tony? What blanks are they cut on (if you can tell) lol
Good question.....I always assume people with think they are AFR castings unless I mention otherwise but its better to be clear about that.

These are in fact AFR castings with a 3/4 head deck.....AFR is handling the CNC porting of my custom proprietary port design.....I handle the valve seat work, design of the valves, assembly, and any other options such as hollow valves, cc and milling, additional hand finishing, etc.

Whats nice about that scenario is it also comes with AFR's lifetime warranty on the castings which is bonus and the quality of AFR's CNC execution speaks for itself.

I will be posting pics very soon and start a thread dedicated to this product and the new 235 head I'm releasing right now as well (more aimed at the 400 CID and larger crowd).

Cheers,
Tony
Old 02-26-2015, 09:01 PM
briannutter1
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Tony, thanks for taking the time/money to develop std bore cathedral. I'm looking forward to seeing the big stuff, but a great endeavor needs to start here.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:57 PM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
OP.....You need these!

Brand new.....most efficient modest sized valve/runner cathedral head on the market IMO and I have seen alot of heads. I designed this head specifically to optimize stock displacement combinations (5.7/6.0/6.2).

It's my new MMS 220 head and flows in the vicinity of 320 CFM out of the box (real numbers on an accurate bench) with a strong exhaust port and solid low and mid lift flow on both as well.....very efficient piece. I suspect in the next couple of months you will see a handful of very positive results from these heads. In fact, I'm building a 347 to showcase their potential right now and should be on the dyno in 4-6 weeks time permitting but you will likely see independent results from a few of my customers on the chassis dyno before I find the time to finish the engine and get to the engine dyno.

I'm excited about this new program....out of the box they flow more than much more costly "Mamofied" hand finished AFR 215 heads I have sold and had excellent results with so they offer the end user an enormous value.

Here is an example of independent results with those heads....almost 490 RWHP with a 220's cam.....I expect the new MMS 220's to perform even better

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...fied-99-a.html

Cheers,
Tony
I just bought AFR 230 Big Bore heads 3 weeks ago. I would have tried yours
Old 02-27-2015, 07:31 PM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

I've been thinking about getting my CNC'd 243s refreshed, something you'd be interested in doing Tony?
Old 02-27-2015, 08:30 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by dankhts
I've been thinking about getting my CNC'd 243s refreshed, something you'd be interested in doing Tony?
I would love to and have done quite a few with excellent results but be prepared that the final costs are usually alot more than most people think (at least at the level of quality I like to be associated with).

The good news is I can get them to flow a legit 310-314 CFM with a CNC program and me handfinishing them and optimizing them after they come off the porting machine but those #'s are with slightly larger aftermarket valves and I replace ALL the stock hardware....the only thing I use is literally the casting so you have approaching four digits in hardware.....PAC valve springs, Ti retainers, keepers, locating cups, and new intake and exhaust valves.....sonic cleaning the castings....removing old guides and pressing in new ones and ultimately honing them to size.....all the CNC porting time....custom valvejob and dressing all the new valves with the right angles and back cuts....hand finishing the bowls....assembly labor setting all the springs the same.....and I forgot cc and milling.....LOL

That was a mouthful right but without the breakdown of what really needs to be done it seems expensive and it is. Its just alot of money on parts, machine work, porting and assembly labor.....about 2K or so when the smoke clears but thats still less than an AFR, TFS, or the new MMS heads Im launching but no matter how good I can make them they will never be as efficient as my aftermarket clean sheet design stuff....when Im done with the 243's they go from 211 cc's to 230 ish......the new 220 flows 10 CFM more with 10 cc's less port volume so its a more explosive type of power delivery with a crisper throttle and higher torque and power figures. Part throttle stuff is greatly enhanced as well so if its a car you cruise with and put some seat time, the benefit of that pays you every time you drive the car.

Considering you could easily unload your 243's to help close the financial gap in pricing to the clean sheet aftermarket design.....it begs the question of which way makes more sense. If you realized the importance of a great set of heads and how they are the foundation of all the power that is made, the right choice is clearer cut assuming you have the budget to take the plunge.

Feel free to email or ring me on my mobile if you would like to discuss this in greater detail....info in my sig below

-Tony

PS....This gives you an idea of the level of execution Im discussing

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 02-27-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:31 AM
newbs49
Instructor

Those are some awesome looking heads.
Tony Could you PM me a price on the 220's
01 Zo6
Thanks Larry
Old 03-02-2015, 06:10 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by briannutter1
Tony, thanks for taking the time/money to develop std bore cathedral. I'm looking forward to seeing the big stuff, but a great endeavor needs to start here.
Hey Brian....good to hear from you!

Have two large cathedrals....a 245 that flowing in the 365 range and a larger 255 that flows in the 380 range with a 2.200 valve (aimed at large displacement stuff with a large bore ideally). You can make big power with that type of airflow.....impressive in a cathedral head!

Originally Posted by newbs49
Those are some awesome looking heads.
Tony Could you PM me a price on the 220's
01 Zo6
Thanks Larry
Hi Larry,

PM me at your convenience and provide a phone number as well....I may just do that as Im all typed out of late.....LOL Its a better phone call anyway....alot of information can be exchanged in half the time it takes via multiple PM's! The 220's are really excellent and worked even better than I had (realistically) hoped.

Cheers,
Tony
Old 03-02-2015, 09:56 AM
newbs49
Instructor

Thanks Tony

Get notified of new replies

To Power gains from heads

Quick Reply: Power gains from heads