Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

Goal somewhat accomplished...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 11:21 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackonblacksls
Why play with calculators or make guesses when people here can share actual repeatable experience.

Kinda like why would I type in 2+2 into a calculator when I know the answer is 4???

Something's you need to calculate.

Something things you don't.

I'll trust these guys considering the amount of experience and data they are bringing to the table..

You just sound more and more like a ricer with each post.
Do you know these people personally? Some people try to help others go faster, others try to keep all the secrets to themselves...I'll clue you in, he's not the latter. I happen to have met Caleb aka lsoholic face to face and wouldn't call him a ricer, just saying.
Originally Posted by dennis50nj
come on hes just saying experience, most engine builders do what they want, not what you want, lots of people have never went past the 8th grade if that, some of the top racers in the country didn't yet they know how to win set records and find the fastest way to the finish line with common sense and not book smarts, I am an uneducated piney yet have managed to be in the top% of the bolt/on cam and H&C C6s in the country, I was told my car couldn't run the times it has by many book smart people, yet it has. wonder what it would have ran without the head wind
You didn't get where you're at on your own Dennis, neither did any of the other racers on top...as you said it takes a team. You may not fully understand, why or how and may not even care to, some have that mindset of an engineer as I believe Caleb does for a living. He's taking time to try and educate others, yourself included if you desire to learn. You say a headwind of unquantified amount is worth .001 of a second. How hard was it blowing the day you ran your PB? Was a worth a tenth, I doubt it though it may have been closer to that than one thousand of a second. I wonder if you running at Atco which is surrounded by trees blocks the headwinds affect, kind of how a handheld weather station at intake level is more accurate than a reading from 30ft in the air. The data inputted in the calculators may not be completely accurate, but is your data collected from experience 100% accurate if you can't explain why the other isn't correct? We're talking about aerodynamics, not putting in a peak dyno number to try and calculate how fast your car can run in an unstated DA.

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 04-11-2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:50 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by LSOHOLIC
Lol...ok

1/2 x air density x drag coefficient x speed (squared)

Would love the chance to race you one day Dennis....be a great time......

Tell me what you think about this ??

Here is your data...........
C5 frontal area = 20.7
CD = .334
CdA = 6.9

http://www.wallaceracing.com/wind-angle-calc.php

I got 1.5mph difference, you can see the difference of how much power is needed to overcome wind with this calculator when inputting corvette specific data...
http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculate%20HP%20For%20Speed.php

With enough experience of drag racing corvettes at different power levels, the correlation of back half numbers should be recognizable with how much more power it takes to overcome the increased drag or how less drag would help a car cover the same distance more quickly.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:06 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Old 04-12-2015, 01:08 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Old 04-12-2015, 01:20 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Went to dig up some old slips and wrote Dragtimes DA on them as I didn't even keep track of it back then not realizing the difference it made and the last one was after I got 4.10s and replaced stock clutch, but was surprised at how bad the air was given it dynoed only 363rwhp sae corrected so ignore it. Was curious of your explanation of the slips as the one with high trap at E-town I remember being a strong tailwind. The first two(1/8 and Atco) were done on stock c5 size street tires, then e-town was on c5z size street tires/wheels and ran drag pack at Texas 1/4. The first one in Texas appears to be a tailwind given the faster mph...you could just come run here and see how close you can get to your PB set up there, hey I've ran at both places lol

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 04-12-2015 at 01:46 AM.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:21 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Went to dig up some old slips and wrote Dragtimes DA on them as I didn't even keep track of it back then not realizing the difference it made and the last one was after I got 4.10s and replaced stock clutch, but was surprised at how bad the air was given it dynoed only 363rwhp sae corrected so ignore it. Was curious of your explanation of the slips as the one with high trap at E-town I remember being a strong tailwind. The first two(1/8 and Atco) were done on stock c5 size street tires, then e-town was on c5z size street tires/wheels and ran drag pack at Texas 1/4. The first one in Texas appears to be a tailwind given the faster mph...you could just come run here and see how close you can get to your PB set up there, hey I've ran at both places lol
well if you lived in and familiar with atco you would know its been cut from 1/4 to 1/8 mile many times because of wind, hmmm must blow pretty hard. and any online calculator doesn't have the information of the track since it doesn't have a weather station, I have seen it 1000 ft DA off and predict sunny and rain at the track all day
Old 04-12-2015, 08:53 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Do you know these people personally? Some people try to help others go faster, others try to keep all the secrets to themselves...I'll clue you in, he's not the latter. I happen to have met Caleb aka lsoholic face to face and wouldn't call him a ricer, just saying.

You didn't get where you're at on your own Dennis, neither did any of the other racers on top...as you said it takes a team. You may not fully understand, why or how and may not even care to, some have that mindset of an engineer as I believe Caleb does for a living. He's taking time to try and educate others, yourself included if you desire to learn. You say a headwind of unquantified amount is worth .001 of a second. How hard was it blowing the day you ran your PB? Was a worth a tenth, I doubt it though it may have been closer to that than one thousand of a second. I wonder if you running at Atco which is surrounded by trees blocks the headwinds affect, kind of how a handheld weather station at intake level is more accurate than a reading from 30ft in the air. The data inputted in the calculators may not be completely accurate, but is your data collected from experience 100% accurate if you can't explain why the other isn't correct? We're talking about aerodynamics, not putting in a peak dyno number to try and calculate how fast your car can run in an unstated DA.
Yes it takes a team for little details just a double check scanning for the best time to run making suggestions did you take everything out of the car your phone your wallet. I learned all by myself know body passed any tips along as i started class racing then went to brackets its all hush hush, and when you have no money you learn how to make your car fast with tricks most people dont use and things i learned thru trial and error, with timing hearing 3 pings vs 1 or multiples that ping ping ping off the starting line always produced the best time the plug gap the brand the point gap the foamed breather to hood scoop the water temp oil temp trans temp all from trial and error comparing the data in my head not on any logs. things you learn by breathing the air like the car not a weather station thats how poor people predict the dial years of doing it at multiple tracks staging very shallow repeating it and run the number time after time, dont let people throw off your rhythm, I pull to the line so slow that people are waving me up even the starter comes out and points at the line like i dont know where its at i am purposely pulling up slow to get my temp to 181 from the ewp to cool down after burnout, and make the person in the other lane wait and get pissed and hot driver and car
Old 05-05-2015, 09:39 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Let's hear some times.
Still waiting for you to take out that 10.72!
Old 05-07-2015, 11:38 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by robz
Let's hear some times.
Still waiting for you to take out that 10.72!
After I put the mufflers back on I realized the torque bushings didn't like the new power and hard launching, got new ones to swap in but waiting on the diff to come back with 3.90s installed. Probably will wait to beat on it till cooler weather comes back around, but while were waiting what do you think the gears will be worth ~.2/2mph?

They only run one test n tune a month at 1/4 track now and lines are ridiculously long...couldn't make last one, but went to 1/8 with mufflers on and the 660 timers were messed up...made one pass and realized that's why no ones times were showing, so I left with a refund.

Here's a video for your viewing pleasure though, at first thought headwind was the reason slip said I trapped 44mph lol

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 05-08-2015 at 12:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Goal somewhat accomplished...