Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

roll bar installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 09:13 PM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Default roll bar installed

Wendy and I made the 2 hour drive to Ft. Worth on Friday to pick up our 6-point roll bar and 5-point harness from Wolfe Racecraft. They're pretty busy this time of year so it took them about a month or so to complete. We weren't in a hurry so no big deal.

It was 97 today with a heat index of 105 so I thought it would be a perfect day to put it in. Worked on it most of the day and got everything together and in except for the rear carpet in the hatch area and a couple very small trim pieces. Overall it wasn't too bad other than the heat. I think it took about 2 or so hours to remove the interior and get the bar in (worked alone until Wendy got home from work). The rest of the day was carefully installing trim, trimming carpet, etc. trying to get everything back in and trying to keep it looking OEM. Sorry for the poor pictures but it was a long day and I'm too old and too out of shape to be working that hard on my summer vacation!

I was very impressed with the fit and finish and overall ease of installation. For $1K and a day's work we should be legal now to 10.0 and can sort out our nitrous progressive controller and hope to be deep in the 10s without getting kicked out. I'll try to take some better pictures without the sun shining in once I button it all up this week. I'll say this ... when we do our H/C/I it will be during Thanksgiving, Christmas or spring break when it's not a million degrees in Texas!

Scott
Old 07-14-2015, 10:57 AM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Finished cutting the carpet in the cargo area for the bars and got it all back together. Came out pretty good I think.

Need to mount the fire extinguisher on the roll bar somewhere to be NHRA legal and also would like to put some padding on the door bars to save the powder coating as we get in and out. I'll check with our upholstery guy to see if he can make some vinyl covering for the padding with velcro secure it.

I'll try to take some better interior pictures this afternoon.

Scott
Old 07-14-2015, 11:00 AM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

BSCI makes a Dual density roll bar padding that is perfect for street strip cars. has a gummy outer shell with high density inner padding. i bought it for my autocross miata.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:43 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

looks good Scott.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:34 PM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts

Looks pretty dang good Scott.

I hope you mopped up the 2 gallons of sweat before the carpet went back in
Old 07-17-2015, 08:26 AM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Looking good ... time for a lightweight drivers seat ?

More pics please
Old 07-18-2015, 02:35 PM
Vic'89
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Is this a bolt-on bar or did it get welded ?

Vic
Old 07-18-2015, 03:35 PM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

All bolt-in bar. For it to be technically NHRA legal the main hoop has to be welded to each bar going down to the rear cargo area. I don't know that we race at a track that will be that picky and require the welds but if they do I'll take it somewhere and have it done.

Ordered some side padding covered with vinyl to protect the powder coating on the door bars for entry and exit and also have something on the way to attach the fire extinguisher to the roll bar. When those arrive early this week and I get them installed snap some better pictures.

Scott
Old 07-19-2015, 06:41 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Tar Heel
All bolt-in bar. For it to be technically NHRA legal the main hoop has to be welded to each bar going down to the rear cargo area. I don't know that we race at a track that will be that picky and require the welds but if they do I'll take it somewhere and have it done.

Ordered some side padding covered with vinyl to protect the powder coating on the door bars for entry and exit and also have something on the way to attach the fire extinguisher to the roll bar. When those arrive early this week and I get them installed snap some better pictures.

Scott
Do you mean the pieces are bolted together or that the attachment to the car frame is bolted on?
Just curious if they changed the style from those plates that bolted through the plastic/balsawood/plastic floor.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:51 PM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

All of the above. The door bars and bars to the rear hatch area bolt to the main hoop with 1/2" Grade 8 bolts (1 per) and the main hoop bolts to the floor with a steel plate above and below the floor and 4 3/8" Grade 8 bolts. I believe that is the standard design for a bolt-in roll bar.

Scott
Old 07-26-2015, 04:08 PM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Took some time today to get Wendy in the car to adjust the seat position and belts. Also took some better pictures without the glare of the sun. As soon as it cools down here some (100 again today) we'll get out and test to adjust the progressive controller and get the nitrous dialed-in finally.

Scott
Old 07-26-2015, 04:50 PM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Old 07-30-2015, 10:17 AM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts

Nice, what a CLEAN install

Get notified of new replies

To roll bar installed