Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

Daily driven 5 second 1/8th mile car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 10:25 AM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

750 Hp level is awesome! i wish you lock on getting your 5 second 8th slip!

i'm shooting for 10.50's in 1/4 i dont think my boxers can handle any faster lol
Old 05-29-2016, 02:58 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroker87
750 Hp level is awesome! i wish you luck on getting your 5 second 8th slip!

i'm shooting for 10.50's in 1/4 i dont think my boxers can handle any faster lol
Thanks. I'm going to try. But not going to turn it into a race car. We just need to go out the end a little stronger than now to get there. Heavy car is the problem. I'm going to attack both the weight slightly and the power slightly to try to reach the goal. Also, might need to head up to Atco, NJ where the DA goes down to -3000 in the Fall and Spring to finally reach the goal. Good luck to you as well on your quest for 10.50's.
The following users liked this post:
Stroker87 (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 06:26 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Good luck in your quest for a 5 second street car. You're doing the right things to make it happen. Take car of the ounces, the pounds will take car of themselves.

Fwiw, Ive been to Atco many times. I've never seen -3000 DA. And fwiw, you won't need it to accomplish your goal.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:23 AM
smokinstorm
Racer

Originally Posted by Capthuff
Good luck in your quest for a 5 second street car. You're doing the right things to make it happen. Take car of the ounces, the pounds will take car of themselves.

Fwiw, Ive been to Atco many times. I've never seen -3000 DA. And fwiw, you won't need it to accomplish your goal.
Thanks. I'm trying. I used the Atco reference more because it seems to have the best air in the nation when I check. I probably won't have to go up there to achieve my goal but I use it as a safety net just in case. BTW, on 2-15-16 at 9:54 AM the DA at Atco was as follows:
Density Altitude: -3301 feet
Relative Density: 110.02 %

Read more: http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-...#ixzz4A84PVBtf

It doesn't happen every day of course, but it does happen. Those cold Canadian high pressures settle in right over there and the DA goes into otherwordly mode. Traction could be a serious problem like that though.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:07 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinstorm
Thanks. I'm trying. I used the Atco reference more because it seems to have the best air in the nation when I check. I probably won't have to go up there to achieve my goal but I use it as a safety net just in case. BTW, on 2-15-16 at 9:54 AM the DA at Atco was as follows:
Density Altitude: -3301 feet
Relative Density: 110.02 %

Read more: http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-...#ixzz4A84PVBtf

It doesn't happen every day of course, but it does happen. Those cold Canadian high pressures settle in right over there and the DA goes into otherwordly mode. Traction could be a serious problem like that though.
You will never see a -3000 DA day when racing at Atco.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:09 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06
And hopefully I won't need to in order to reach my goal. I cannot afford to rent the track and I know they won't let us run a 5 in the 1/8th in a street car without a license. Car isn't yet legal to run those times either. I know some people have rented the track on days when the air was REALLY good. I'm not so strong financially as to be able to do that. I can't wait to try the car with the drag brakes with 100 pounds taken off the front end.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:58 AM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06

out of all of the times that I've been to Atco or E-Town, I've never seen those numbers, not even close to 1/2 of that. The best I've seen is a -600 and that was with you, Marshall and the rest of the crew how many years ago? I'm going to be looking for some good AIR in the Fall with the 98 to see if I can get it there on 100 shot, maybe 2 ...

Track rental is "hit or miss" with the weather
Old 06-02-2016, 06:12 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

Originally Posted by Hot_Wheels

out of all of the times that I've been to Atco or E-Town, I've never seen those numbers, not even close to 1/2 of that. The best I've seen is a -600 and that was with you, Marshall and the rest of the crew how many years ago? I'm going to be looking for some good AIR in the Fall with the 98 to see if I can get it there on 100 shot, maybe 2 ...

Track rental is "hit or miss" with the weather
I know it's a shot in the dark shooting for that perfect weather day. That's why I truly hope I don't need that advantage to achieve my goal. I was at Dinwiddie, VA back in the day with my Camaro SS and the DA touched -800 for about an hour right before the track closed. That's the best air I've ever seen while at a track but I've never been to Atco. For those that have been to Atco, is the track prep superior all the time or just for big events? If I go I know the temp is going to be borderline for hooking as I'm going to try to go when the air is the best possible. It's too far for me to go if the air/track isn't any or much better than Dinwidde, Richmond, or MIR. I'm only going to run to 660' not 1320' no matter what track we go to. We're going to need probably a high 1.2 60' to go 5's.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:46 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

With the road you're on, you most certainly will not need negative DA to reach your goal.

Just keep chipping away.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:25 AM
NosLaser
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Not my Z06, but finishing up the final touches on my twin turbo Cobra that will run well into the 5 second range and is docile enough to be used as a daily driver. Having gone through this process, even though it is a different platform, I may be able to provide something at least a little useful.

My goals were to create a car that was a LEGIT daily driveable street car; not a race car that I drove on the street, but a car that could be driven daily, and raced, and do both of them exceptionally well.

It had to retain a/c, full interior, power steering, a nice stereo, be able to idle in stop and go 95 degree south Florida traffic, be able to drive almost 2 hours to the track, run 3 consecutive 8 second passes with no cool down, and then drive right back home with the cruise control and a/c on, and the tunes bumpin' on the stereo.

This route is also the most expensive one to take. For instance; I wasn't going to do some crazy spooled built rear that could handle 1.2 60' times but offer horrible low speed driveability, so without the benefit of being able to leave hard, I had to make more power and make it up on the big end. I had to use really high quality parts everywhere on the car, and I have several fail safes/tricks applied to make sure the car was as automated and user-friendly as possible.

Some examples:

-With triple 450lph internal fuel pumps in the tank, having all 3 run at the same time would generate a lot of heat and boil the fuel, so I have it set so only 1 runs full time, and I use a Fore engineering pressure switch to turn the other 2 on at 5 pounds of boost.

-I have fail safe pressure switches installed for fuel pressure, oil pressure, methanol pressure, and transmission line pressure so it will cut timing/boost in the case of a fuel pressure or methanol pressure drop, will cut the motor off in case of an oil pressure drop, and will allow feedback for the different transmission tunes via line pressure

-I have the boost controller set up through the transbrake for launch boost, and once the car is launched it automatically switches on a relay to stage 2 where it ramps boost in as to not blow off the tires, and it communicates with the traction control system on the MS3Pro (measuring driveshaft/wheel speed) to make instant changes accordingly to keep the car hooked

-For some coolness factor I have the shifter wired in through the cruise control on/off buttons so I have essentially a paddle shifter on the steering wheel. On being upshift, Off being downshift to keep both hands on the wheel, or I can use the B&M ratchet shifter. The transmission also has two tunes; one which will shift super soft as to not spill my morning coffee, and the other which kicks like a mule. Did I mention the cruise control still works?

I wanted NO compromises with this car, and it is doable, but this route is very expensive to take. I could have a faster car for less money spent, but I guarantee it wouldn't be half the street car this is. I wouldn't hesitate to drive this car to California, and once we get this last round of mods completed, I'd like to see upper 160mph traps.

I wanted to have a fairly respectable ride and hopefully I have accomplished it - even if it is still a Mustang

Any specific questions feel free to ask.
The following users liked this post:
FL Skydiver (10-12-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 04:15 AM
smokinstorm
Racer

The Vette is at Mayhem Motorsports right now getting the mods done to hopefully give us a chance at that 5 second timeslip. We're going to turn the supercharger a tad faster and switch over to a more aggressive tune since we're only going to run 1/8th mile. Running higher octane fuel and adding more meth through the meth injection to keep things happy. Also, switching over to lighter brakes and tires/rims and putting in a 5# Lithium Ion battery that actually turns the car over better than the 800CCA full sized battery that was in the car. On a sad note, there is some electrical gremlin that's reared its ugly head delaying things for the moment or we'd already be at the track shooting for the number. Car won't do a burnout right now or take aggressive throttle on the launch. After chasing said gremlin all over, it seems to be in the ECU and a used/functional one has been located to hopefully exorcise this demon. It's been decided that the massive amount of sound deadening material in the car is not necessary to have the stereo play deafeningly loud so most if not all of that's coming out of the car. Looking to take close to 200 pounds total off the car with most of that coming off from the firewall forward. I'm hoping for 800 to possibly as much as 825 to the tires from the new pulley and tune. I'll be satisfied with anything approaching 800 though. It had 730 before. We're also going to put a different set of tires on the back to hopefully be able to go WOT right from the line and not break the back tires loose like before. We had to roll the car out about a half to a full car length before calling on the motor to maintain traction. We ran a 6.18 @ 110+ like that so another 100ish horsepower and 200ish less weight plus better traction should be the recipe for success. I'll post up results when I get them from the track, dyno and weight scales when I get them. If this doesn't get us there, then it's time to think about re-gearing the car. The 3.15's might not be aggressive enough for the best times with the car as the tire height is going from just under 26" to a full 28". It's going to be right on the edge with the 3.15's as to whether or not we can make it through the 1/8th without having to make the 2-3 shift. Staying in 2nd gear might help but that has yet to be proven. That's the update for now. Wish us luck.

Last edited by smokinstorm; 07-04-2016 at 04:16 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:02 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

After all the transmission/converter woes we finally got the car from Mayhem yesterday with all new stuff in there one more time. Looks like the demons have been exorcised. They re-tuned the car for better fuel and cranked the meth injection way up. 21 degrees of timing and 11.81 A/F ratio at the horsepower peak pushed the numbers past the 800 RWHP mark at 6000 and hit a peak of 809 at 6500. It pretty much has 809 from around 6300 on and just flattens out. Poor little P1SC-1 supercharger hates me now. We're torturing it. They're supposed to be emailing me a graph of the run and I'll post it if so. The car has been on a serious diet as now by itself is down to 3320. Brian Garlington @ Mayhem has offered me a deal I cannot refuse. He's going to take all the high dollar and heavy stereo stuff out of the car and remove all of the sound deadening goo and matting and replace it with a stock stereo and speakers in the doors plus he's going to pay me money for what's in the car now. He said it looks like he should be able to get another 100 pounds out of the car easily but it wouldn't surprise him if he finds 200 in weight savings because of the level of stuff that's there. I'll post up final weights when he's done. I'm pretty sure we're going to be in the 5's now and even deeper 5's with more weight reduction. Next goal should be an 8 in the 1/4 but since we don't race 1/4 mile around here I'm figuring 5.50's should be our next performance goal. That one is gonna be difficult to achieve though. We're heading to an event sponsored by Mayhem on October 22nd in Fayetteville, NC and then the track rental at MIR in November. One of those two events should get us the actual 5 second timeslip in hand and give a better indication of how the new mods have transformed the car into a more drag race capable ride. Will report progress as it unfolds.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:32 AM
smokinstorm
Racer

Demons have not been exorcised. Car still won't take throttle in burnout box. As such traction is very limited and car will barely trap 100 in the 1/8th still. 20 or so off of what it should do. Sam ran over a bolt that fell off a car that went down the track right before him cutting a front tire, skidding from side to side like a puppy dog's tail when you're offering him a treat, popping the other tire in the process and then skidding 100 yards on the now bare front rims and once those ground away, the underside of the car. What a mess. No 5 for us. Even with all the players in place, nothing is guaranteed. We're now running a second and 10 MPH slower than we were when we had 100 less horsepower and 200+ pounds more weight. The racing Gods just simply were not with us today. Oh yeah, had a blowout on a brand new tire on the trailer right before getting to the track as well. Somebody trying to tell us something?
Old 09-25-2016, 10:46 AM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

sorry to here things didnt go well, happy no one got hurt tho....

I know how annoying it is when cars fight you

I sold my 87 silverado hotrod pickup last year had a 11 year love hate relationship I'd spend thousands it be running good then something would brake so i'd spend more 3 engines, two transmissions, 2 rear ends and a bunch of other stuff got to the point it sat for 2 years I put less then 100 miles on it was afraid to drive it lol i threw in the towel and sold it, when you find your self fixing the same things over and over again it gets old quick especially when you spring for the good stuff and it fails on you
Old 09-25-2016, 10:52 AM
smokinstorm
Racer

Originally Posted by Stroker87
sorry to here things didnt go well, happy no one got hurt tho....

I know how annoying it is when cars fight you

I sold my 87 silverado hotrod pickup last year had a 11 year love hate relationship I'd spend thousands it be running good then something would brake so i'd spend more 3 engines, two transmissions, 2 rear ends and a bunch of other stuff got to the point it sat for 2 years I put less then 100 miles on it was afraid to drive it lol i threw in the towel and sold it, when you find your self fixing the same things over and over again it gets old quick especially when you spring for the good stuff and it fails on you
I can't really throw in the towel with the whole car for now as this is my retirement fund. But I can put a quiet exhaust back on it and drive it around and not race it. It still gets great gas mileage and is quite the head turner to be such an old car. And you're right, no one got hurt and it could have been much, much worse. A really good friend of mine and Sam's lost his life at this track within a few feet of where the Corvette came to a stop. He hit the wall. We did not so I can say for sure how much worse it could have been. We'll get there. I just like to share adventures so others that are having problems can for sure see they're not the only ones struggling.

Last edited by smokinstorm; 09-25-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:36 AM
Dunn
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive seen your car at the shop, very sharp ride and of course Silver is the fastest color Hate your having those issues, hopefully one day the stars will align and the car will run what it should. Figuring out gremlins and small problems here and there can beat a man down who just wants a strong running car.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:11 AM
smokinstorm
Racer

Mayhem is sponsoring an event at Fayetteville on the 22nd of October. I'm even going down there with them on the 21st on that Friday evening beforehand in order to get some time with Jay and the crew setting up shift points, the new suspension, launch techniques, the whole nine yards. All this is assuming the burnout issue, or rather lack thereof, has been resolved. The next potential for disaster is whether or not the 325/45-17 M&H drag radials can provide enough traction for full throttle off the line or even in 1st gear. Brian @ Mayhem has been hard at work taking weight off the car for the past couple of weeks. I hope his estimate of up to 200 that he can remove is accurate. The car had 3 layers of sound deadening material, the really heavy kind. The lowest layer was a material similar to HVAC goo (monkey spunk in the business) that he's having to scrape off inch by inch. Then the car was burdened with a stereo system with massive speakers, amps, etc that the car just simply didn't need to go down the track. He's putting a stock stereo back in with speakers in the doors. Just enough to play music and make sounds. This is the effort that has been put forth in order to run that 5 in the 1/8th. If everything works right, it's not even going to be close. It should run 5's even if it spins a little, doesn't shift right and into a 25 MPH headwind. If by chance Jupiter does align with Mars however, the power/weight numbers show 5.70's @ 120ish is possible. Sooooo, I'm trying. Wish us luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Daily driven 5 second 1/8th mile car?

Old 10-20-2016, 10:55 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

The not able to do a burnout issue has been resolved. It was a problem with the Body Control Module. The shifting issue has been identified and hopefully resolved as well. It had to to with the old tuning method Mayhem used vs the new tuning method or something along those lines. They're going to data log the car on Saturday anyhow and get it shifting @ 6600-6800. Car now weighs 3140 with a 1/2 tank of gas. It was 3540 with a 1/4 tank of gas before any weight reduction on the same scales. This is w/o driver. Mayhem and Brian Garlington specifically did an amazing job on getting the pounds off the car. Jeff found the issues the car was having and resolved them. I think the whole crew was involved in one way or another with the car. Now, I know it's still heavy compared to what I read all over the internet. I'm just not going to turn it into a race car so replacing the pop-up headlights is about the only other thing that's going to be done to it for a while. Going to try to run some 5's on some ice skates....uuhhh I mean some 325/45-17 M&H Drag radials in Fayetteville. I'll post up results when we get back form the track some time Sunday. It's 5 hours away from me one way. I won't be home on Saturday.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:55 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

Mapquest shows a little over 4 hours to Fayetteville. I remember it being about 4 1/2 so I'm leaving out of here around 6AM to hopefully be there and ready to race when they start at 11AM. I'll meet up with Sam who has the car in Williamston, NC at 8AM and that should be the start of the most productive day we've ever had with the car to date. All known issues with the car have been resolved and Mayhem Motorsports is sponsoring the event and all staff are going to be on hand to help up finally run some respectable numbers with the car. I just hope the M&H's hook at the track when heated up. They surely do not on the street or even at the track when you cannot do a burnout. The car has 1.35 60'd with some 25.9" tall Hoosier drag radials and Mayhem swears they're the worst tires ever put on a car to race with so.......we'll see if the M&H's can match that. We've got 79 more horsepower and 400 pounds less weight than when the car ran the 1.35 but we've also got coilovers all the way around to help dial in some traction if needed. I'll report back when I get back home sometime early, early Sunday morning. Wish us luck. We're probably gonna need it. Anybody going, come see us.

White Ford F350, Black trailer. "Angel" the four legged crewmember will not be there unfortunately.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:56 AM
smokinstorm
Racer

Just getting back home and, long story short, it's a 5 second 1/8th mile car, not even close. The M&H's will not hold a decent launch and Sam finally had to slow roll the car from the line and call on the motor about a car length out. We need better hooking tires. Period. There was a vid taken of the run and I'll get that posted as soon as they send it to me. Rolling the car out of the hole and calling on the motor about a car length out still resulted in a 1.41 60', 3.84 330' and a 5.86 @ 121 660'. For those that are curious, he stayed in the throttle for the entire 1/4 mile and it ran a 9.10 @ 152 out the end. There is still quite a bit left on the table and I'm actually hoping for some 5.60's and maybe 8.80's ultimately with better tires but no other changes to the car as it now sits. This car should 1.2x 60' with a full throttle launch so there's the performance gain right there. No telling what getting the car to actually shift @ 6800 is going to do for us. I honestly didn't think it was going to run the number today with the old M&H's but it sure fooled me. DA was -146 on that pass. Pretty good air. No wind.

Quick Reply: Daily driven 5 second 1/8th mile car?