Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

stock bottom

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 08:36 AM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Default stock bottom

Hi, my #7 piston went and i'm bummed out, just retired and money is tight but wanted to run the 98 car better than the 10.22 that I currently have, yesterday I find out the number seven piston broke.

We had tuned it last fall and gained about 24 rwhp. had a cracked spring and now the cracked piston is going to drive me nuts not having the car, it's been down for a while.

The plan we made yesterday was to just hone the cylinders and go with new (hardened) rods and better pistons for when I do decide to spray. I assume it will still be a stock rotating assembly except what I mentioned.

Might bump up compression a bit but plan on using old cam, heads, and everything else.

plan is to go 9"s N/A in the Fall - it should hold up and be safer to spray ...
Old 06-23-2016, 11:27 AM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry to hear that. They can be frustrating at times. Hang in there ... you'll get it right. 9s NA is very, very impressive to say the least.

Ours is giving me fits right now. Changing the cam, springs, injectors and adding a stand alone and it's fighting me every step of the way. Threads came out of the crank when the balancer bolt came out, BTR springs won't go on easily (have keepers literally flying around the shop), the heat index is 110 in East Texas now ... who said these things were fun?

Scott
Old 06-23-2016, 10:38 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Build a race car, they said...

It'll be fun, they said...

Who da *** are they? They need to be slapped...
Old 06-25-2016, 08:29 AM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

think I'm going to sell the car... an offer right now would push me over the edge
Old 06-26-2016, 08:49 PM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hot_Wheels
think I'm going to sell the car... an offer right now would push me over the edge
Wendy and I have been saying the same thing. Get this thing back together, get a tune and sort it out at the track and then get into an older Corvette or muscle car and just cruise to car shows. We'll see. Never a good time to make a decision when the car is broken and the heat index is 110.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:38 PM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Capthuff
Build a race car, they said...

It'll be fun, they said...

Who da *** are they? They need to be slapped...
LMAO.....and this is why I put racing aside for now. Rather just drive it than keep fixing it all the time!
Old 06-27-2016, 07:59 AM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fisher auto
LMAO.....and this is why I put racing aside for now. Rather just drive it than keep fixing it all the time!
I've been fixing this one since the last time I ran it, it's totally refreshed with new (Strange) brakes all around, the sprag went in the trans. so that's all been updated as well the rest of the car is ready to.

Last edited by Rob Petyo; 08-02-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:37 AM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Ours hasn't been necessarily a huge cost issue but more of a headache and time consuming. Our new-to-us home has a beautiful shop with plenty of room to work in but for some reason I don't like working on them like I used to. I've been doing this for 30+ years and as I approach 50 I'm just running out of desire and patience to be under the hood all the time. Maybe I'm getting lazy ... although I did move 7+ ton of rock with a shovel and wheelbarrow last week doing some landscaping. For some reason that doesn't bother me like working on the car.

Scott
Old 07-20-2016, 02:28 PM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tar Heel
Ours hasn't been necessarily a huge cost issue but more of a headache and time consuming. Our new-to-us home has a beautiful shop with plenty of room to work in but for some reason I don't like working on them like I used to. I've been doing this for 30+ years and as I approach 50 I'm just running out of desire and patience to be under the hood all the time. Maybe I'm getting lazy ... although I did move 7+ ton of rock with a shovel and wheelbarrow last week doing some landscaping. For some reason that doesn't bother me like working on the car.

Scott
Just retired and spent a bit more then I wanted to fixing up the beach house in Florida. I had shoulder surgery in March removing some arthritis, bursitis, fix torn tendons, cleaned out cartilage that was floating around and have a pinned (anchored) bicep muscle. I just want to drive the flipping thing...

Well the block is cracked so I'm looking for a short block. Maybe use the same heads/cam combo but I am considering just pulling a RobZ and leave a stock cam in it and see what it would do.

At least the 04 is running like a big dog right now ... I do not need another 382 stroker :-)

Last edited by Rob Petyo; 07-20-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:01 PM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fisher auto
this seems to be the way most people are going ever since the ECS Corvette Challenge ended at Raceway Park, I've noticed more and more doing nothing, even rentals have more ex-racers than drivers.

Last edited by Rob Petyo; 07-20-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:40 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Why not just put a piston in it? Tommy can do it in a day and it's not expensive.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:49 AM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Why not just put a piston in it? Tommy can do it in a day and it's not expensive.
That's what I was hoping for, just put in another stock piston but Tom looked at it and said the block was cracked as well - only suggested maybe it was bad fuel?

I'm looking around for something I can drop in and reuse my LS6 heads/intake etc with. EVERYTHING on the car was just updated - brakes/converter/trans now the motor again. Part of me will put in a stock cam and run just bolton's and see where it will be on the fast list
Old 07-21-2016, 03:35 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot_Wheels
That's what I was hoping for, just put in another stock piston but Tom looked at it and said the block was cracked as well - only suggested maybe it was bad fuel?

I'm looking around for something I can drop in and reuse my LS6 heads/intake etc with. EVERYTHING on the car was just updated - brakes/converter/trans now the motor again. Part of me will put in a stock cam and run just bolton's and see where it will be on the fast list

Bummer, we just sold a take out LS2 yesterday too, I have nothing else myself but something will turn up if you look for it.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:36 PM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Doug, I'm looking for a 346ci motor because of the TrickFlow 215 heads, just put new springs in and they were milled a bit. Please let me know if something else comes up.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2016, 06:20 PM
C5-Fan
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

I have you covered ��
Old 07-22-2016, 05:11 PM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C5-Fan
I have you covered ��
deciding just how I want to do this but I have yours and another one in mind.

The other one has upgraded crank/rods/fly cut pistons etc. which would allow me to actually use the (NANO) N20 system installed in the car that has never even been used

Get notified of new replies

To stock bottom

Quick Reply: stock bottom