Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

traded the C5 for something "new"

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 09:27 AM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Default traded the C5 for something "new"

Well, after tinkering with our Corvette for 5 years it was time to do something new. Wendy and I have enjoyed the car but we found someone who wanted it more than we did and we wanted theirs. Over the holidays we made a 4-day, 2,500 mile round trip to the Detroit, Michigan area from East Texas stopping here and there to visit family and friends along the way. Weather was pleasant (could be horrendous this time of year) and overall the trip was smooth and were came home very pleased. Here is what we picked up:

1972 Chevelle, 383 with 4340 crank, rods, pistons, Dart heads, Team G single plane intake, Holley 780, EWP, all MSD ignition, 350TH with brake, 12-bolt 4.10, NOS Big Shot, full chromoly cage, ...

Car is immaculate in, out, under. Provided dyno sheets show the engine to have made 500/500 NA and the NOS system can go up to 400. Wendy and I plan to attend local car shows and trailer to ones further away. I'm sure I'm race it eventually but we're going to turn into those people with the lawn chairs sitting behind their car getting up every now and then to rub on it. I'm kind of looking forward to learning about carburetors, timing lights, jets ... again and leaving behind laptops, oxygen sensors, and the like.

The new C5 owner isn't a racer so he was looking for something to go from A to B, as well as car shows, with AC, PW, etc. He seemed happy and I'm sure he will enjoy it as much as we enjoy the Chevelle.

Scott
Old 01-06-2017, 02:28 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Holy cow, that's a beautiful ride! Congrats Scott!

So many times I've thought about dumping my vette for some classic iron. But, it would have to have LSx power.

Have fun with it and take it to the track at least once to let us know how it does!
Old 01-06-2017, 03:56 PM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Thank you. As the saying goes pictures really don't do it justice. It isn't perfect (what car is?) and there are some little areas I'd like to address over time but for now we're excited to start attending car shows. In Texas, you can go most weekends during the year if you look hard enough and feel like it.

We had fun with the C5, and I learned a TON from the forum members, but I'm looking forward to the simplicity of an older ride. Not having an annual inspection for the state will be nice too.

I'm sure sooner than later I'll run it and post some results. I've been playing with the transbrake in the neighborhood and I'll have to admit they're fun! Regardless of what it runs I'm going to try to resist the temptation of making it go quicker and just enjoy it as it is. We have grandchildren that are about old enough to start appreciating cars and attending shows and races with us so we'll try to leave it alone.

Scott
Old 01-07-2017, 06:28 PM
C5-Fan
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Tar Heel
Thank you. As the saying goes pictures really don't do it justice. It isn't perfect (what car is?) and there are some little areas I'd like to address over time but for now we're excited to start attending car shows. In Texas, you can go most weekends during the year if you look hard enough and feel like it.

We had fun with the C5, and I learned a TON from the forum members, but I'm looking forward to the simplicity of an older ride. Not having an annual inspection for the state will be nice too.

I'm sure sooner than later I'll run it and post some results. I've been playing with the transbrake in the neighborhood and I'll have to admit they're fun! Regardless of what it runs I'm going to try to resist the temptation of making it go quicker and just enjoy it as it is. We have grandchildren that are about old enough to start appreciating cars and attending shows and races with us so we'll try to leave it alone.

Scott
​​​​​​
I love 70-72 Chevelle's and yours looks great. I hope you have a blast with it.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:02 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Nothing like old school muscle!

Straight up trade? That looks like a great deal (although I don't know the particulars of your C5)

Enjoy!!!
Old 01-09-2017, 10:30 AM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by oh1vette
Nothing like old school muscle!

Straight up trade? That looks like a great deal (although I don't know the particulars of your C5)

Enjoy!!!
Yes, straight-up trade. We had a 2 owner, 54,000 miles 2004 coupe with bolt-ons and a cam. Longblock (other than cam), transmission and differential were stock. We did have LT headers, converter, gear, Bogart wheels and a nice nitrous system.

I was asking $25K for our car which I thought was fair and about what the market was going for on modded C5s. It was for sale for a long time with zero interest.

He was asking $30K for his. Was it worth that? Who knows? Included in all the paperwork I received on the car (a box full of every receipt, manuals for all of the go-fast goodies, dyno sheets, ...) was a professional appraisal valuing the car at $28K. What's that worth? Again, who knows?

It cost us $1K (diesel, hotels, food) and 4 days to drive to Michigan but we looked at it as a vacation as both Wendy and I have relatives in the north so we visited family and friends along the way.

In the end I think we got a great deal and we're very happy and think it was a fair trade for both parties.

Scott
Old 01-09-2017, 03:19 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 464 Likes on 367 Posts

Very nice
Old 01-09-2017, 05:46 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Thanks Scott, was curious how much was done to your vette - sounds like a fair trade - best of luck with it...
Old 01-09-2017, 07:43 PM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts

pretty sweet ride
Old 01-09-2017, 09:45 PM
Wasn't Me
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Scott,
Enjoyed meeting both you and Wendy. Hope you have a blast with the Chevelle. Like I said before, it found the right home. Had (3) Chevelle's and (1) 87 Grand National. I'm looking forward to cruising and learning about the C5 corvette's. To all out there, Scott & Wendy are awesome good hearted car people. Wouldn't even let me give them some gas money. The timing couldn't have been better with the weather, holidays, and the same time off. Sucks I have to wait till spring to try out the corvette, but more time to read and ask questions here.
Hope to stay in touch.
Brad & Dee
Old 01-09-2017, 09:53 PM
Chuck A
Race Director

Received 138 Likes on 129 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

as long as you like it, as for me the c5 would be my ride, just my 02 cents
Old 01-10-2017, 10:34 AM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wasn't Me
Hey Scott,
Enjoyed meeting both you and Wendy. Hope you have a blast with the Chevelle. Like I said before, it found the right home. Had (3) Chevelle's and (1) 87 Grand National. I'm looking forward to cruising and learning about the C5 corvette's. To all out there, Scott & Wendy are awesome good hearted car people. Wouldn't even let me give them some gas money. The timing couldn't have been better with the weather, holidays, and the same time off. Sucks I have to wait till spring to try out the corvette, but more time to read and ask questions here.
Hope to stay in touch.
Brad & Dee
Good morning Brad! Nice to see you and Dee on the forum. It was great to meet both of you and I know you'll learn a bunch from these guys and gals. Very helpful, friendly and knowledgeable folks.

Nice avatar too. I recognize that shop. I can't wait for you to be able to get out and drive when your weather breaks. Anxious to hear your first impressions.

Found the guy's name that built the Chevelle in the paperwork as well as his number and tried to contact him to find out a little history on the car. He called me back this morning and we talked for about 30 minutes. Nice guy! Learned a lot. He had the car for 20 years. Also found out the car was originally built in October of 1972 in Baltimore, Maryland and was originally dark green with a dark green bench seat interior. Wendy and I are currently detailing it ... clay bar, polish, wax ... we're crawling over every inch.

Scott
The following users liked this post:
Wasn't Me (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 02:35 PM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

cool thread with both the old and new owners. Very neat!
Wasn't Me (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 04:14 PM
Wasn't Me
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tar Heel
Good morning Brad! Nice to see you and Dee on the forum. It was great to meet both of you and I know you'll learn a bunch from these guys and gals. Very helpful, friendly and knowledgeable folks.

Nice avatar too. I recognize that shop. I can't wait for you to be able to get out and drive when your weather breaks. Anxious to hear your first impressions.

Found the guy's name that built the Chevelle in the paperwork as well as his number and tried to contact him to find out a little history on the car. He called me back this morning and we talked for about 30 minutes. Nice guy! Learned a lot. He had the car for 20 years. Also found out the car was originally built in October of 1972 in Baltimore, Maryland and was originally dark green with a dark green bench seat interior. Wendy and I are currently detailing it ... clay bar, polish, wax ... we're crawling over every inch.

Scott
That is cool you got a hold of original owner. When I bought the car I was told he was in a financial trouble, so I didn't feel right contacting him. But time can change things. Been checking out the H2 tuning software, very similar to the F.A.S.T. software I used for the Grand National. But until I can take it out for a few passes, I'll just leave the tune you left me with. Hope you and Wendy hit some cool shows this year... going to have to make room for the trophies... lol
Old 01-11-2017, 10:01 AM
TX Z06 02
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Capthuff
So many times I've thought about dumping my vette for some classic iron. But, it would have to have LSx power.
This so much. I LOVE my car and have put a lot of time and money into it. But I would really love a classic car with LS power and a rear seat so the kids can enjoy riding in it too.

Ive been looking at craigslist for 63-67 Nova's lately. Those can look really intimidating with the right touches.

Last edited by TX Z06 02; 01-11-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:35 AM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

I understand the appeal and advantages of the LS platform and definitely see the coolness factor of having modern EFI in old muscle. However, I've been tinkering with fuel injection and computers for 20 years and to be honest am kind of over it. This 383 is nothing to sneeze at with all forged rotating assembly, giant roller, Dart heads ... To make 500 hp on pump gas and be able to handle all the nitrous I want to throw at it is perfect for me. I'm really anxious and ready and excited for a change back to old school. I'm going to order a carb tuning book as well as various tuning parts and even though it will never be an EFI unit I'm excited to learn how to fine tune it myself. Heck, this car doesn't have AC, heat, a radio, PS or PB so it wasn't really designed for long cruises which is perfect for us!
Old 01-13-2017, 04:16 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Bout time you fessed up!
Enjoy the Chevelle!

We promise we won't tell the new owners of your C5 the "real" story.

And this a joke guys!

Giving Scott a hard time.

Ron

Last edited by RonSSNova; 01-13-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Wasn't Me (01-13-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To traded the C5 for something "new"

Quick Reply: traded the C5 for something "new"