Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

3.15 to 3.73 gear ratio, how much improvement will I see?

Old 03-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Rays Vet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Face
I find that hard to believe. I went from 3.15's with a SY3500 to 3.73's with the SY3500. The 3.73's maybe took another tenth off my E.T. With a stock converter the gains would be more, but no way .4-.5 tenths, that's converter territory.
There was acually a comparison done where someone went from 3.0x to 3.73s AND THE DIFFERENCE Was only 2 tenths. A converter will get you from 3 to 5 tenths providing you can hook up!!!
Old 03-26-2005, 07:17 PM
LSK
Racer

Originally Posted by doubledeuce
Yeah, I would, but I heard that there is A LOT of labor involved with installing a convertor, is that true, and how much does the labor cost?
I dont see how doing the gears would be any cheaper than doing a convertor.

I dont know about how much labor costs as I know local guys who do work for me.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:19 PM
trophystock
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you only had the money for one iteam I would say 100% go with the convertor. It makes such a big difference that the ring and pinion is of no matter. If if was a M6 then its all in the rear end ratio but with a A4 it's all convertor. A 3.15 rear is fine if you mate it with a good convertor, just ask the people who have tried it, the will tell you that there is very little difference with changing the rear gear.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:21 AM
Face
Le Mans Master

Yeah, I would, but I heard that there is A LOT of labor involved with installing a convertor, is that true, and how much does the labor cost?
The labor should only be slightly more, if not the same.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:26 AM
doubledeuce
Instructor

Originally Posted by Face
The labor should only be slightly more, if not the same.
then how many hours of labor will it take? my local corvette shop had scared me to not doing it, because they said it will require 10 hours of labor. . And I know how long it will take to swap the gears, I done it before, its around two hours.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:02 PM
Face
Le Mans Master

then how many hours of labor will it take? my local corvette shop had scared me to not doing it, because they said it will require 10 hours of labor. . And I know how long it will take to swap the gears, I done it before, its around two hours.
They need some practice! I took a trip to ECS friday to have them swap a converter and rebuild my rear. It took them about 6 hours, that included breaking down my rear and rebuilding it, dropping the trans to swap converters, and putting a new CV boot on for me. There was also a hour lunch break and some clowning around. 10 hours sounds like

Just a heads up, $500 seems like the going rate for the swap(not including the rear R&R).
Old 03-29-2005, 09:09 AM
Dave-T
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1043191

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3.15 to 3.73 gear ratio, how much improvement will I see?