Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 01-25-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
CoastalRAP
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to CoastalRAP
Default How much does the U.S. borrow each month?

I heard someone on the radio say we borrowed $100 billion a month . Is that an accurate figure?

I searched and could not find any monthly figure.
CoastalRAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
CoastalRAP
CF Senior Member

Yep, looks like that's about it so far for FY 2010. We have to borrow about $100 billion a month.

http://www.fms.treas.gov/mts/mts1209.pdf

I wonder that that figure will be with Healthcare and cap and trade.

Sorry kids.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
mlongo99
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Looks like this FY it's closer to $130B per month.
mlongo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
TLGunman
CF Senior Member

And for absolutely no reason...if only the government understood that.
TLGunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:35 AM   #5
important
CF Senior Member

I believe 30 billion of that is just Iraq at a cost of a billion dollars a day. O wait, further down in this reference it states "$5 billion corresponds to 10 days expenses for the war." So that would mean that Iraq is costing us 500 million a day not a billion. My bad.

"Stiglitz, former chief economist of the World Bank and winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics, has stated the total costs of the Iraq War on the US economy will be three trillion dollars in a moderate scenario, and possibly more in the most recent published study, published in March 2008.[10] Stiglitz has stated: "The figure we arrive at is more than $3 trillion. Our calculations are based on conservative assumptions. They are conceptually simple, even if occasionally technically complicated. A $3 trillion figure for the total cost strikes us as judicious, and probably errs on the low side. Needless to say, this number represents the cost only to the United States. It does not reflect the enormous cost to the rest of the world, or to Iraq."[10]

The CRS estimated in September 2006 that total expenditures had topped half a trillion dollars.[2] Additionally, the extended combat and equipment loss have placed a severe financial strain on the U.S Army, causing the elimination of non-essential expenses such as travel and civilian hiring.[11][12]

As the total passed US$450 billion, the cost for the Iraq war reached approximately $1500 per person in the United States.[13] If the Iraq war were to wind up costing 1.9 trillion dollars, the cost would be over 4.2 times higher ($6,300 per United States citizen.) This would put the expense at $25,000 for an average family of four, or $32,000 per family if Afghanistan is included.

As a comparison, with this money he estimates[13] that one could have built 8 million houses, paid 15 million teachers, paid for the child care of 530 million kids, paid for the scholarship of 43 million students, offered social safety net during 50 year to Americans. Stigltz also said that United States help for Africa is only $5 billion, soon to be superseded by China. $5 billion corresponds to 10 days expenses for the war."

Note to the Govt:

Im not ok with you re-distributing my tax money to socialize health care. Nor am I ok with you distributing my tax money to make billionaires, wait trillionaires, out of the companies that run the military industrial complex.

I gotta wonder how much the military bases in the other 128 countries are costing us...
important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
Mashman
CF Senior Member

Just as scary - we are currently paying $500 MILLION a day in interest on the national debt!
Mashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
TLGunman
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
Just as scary - we are currently paying $500 MILLION a day in interest on the national debt!
All because the gov doesn't understand that they don't have to borrow.
TLGunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
CoastalRAP
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiyaar1 View Post
I believe 30 billion of that is just Iraq at a cost of a billion dollars a day. O wait, further down in this reference it states "$5 billion corresponds to 10 days expenses for the war." So that would mean that Iraq is costing us 500 million a day not a billion. My bad.

"Stiglitz, former chief economist of the World Bank and winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics, has stated the total costs of the Iraq War on the US economy will be three trillion dollars in a moderate scenario, and possibly more in the most recent published study, published in March 2008.[10] Stiglitz has stated: "The figure we arrive at is more than $3 trillion. Our calculations are based on conservative assumptions. They are conceptually simple, even if occasionally technically complicated. A $3 trillion figure for the total cost strikes us as judicious, and probably errs on the low side. Needless to say, this number represents the cost only to the United States. It does not reflect the enormous cost to the rest of the world, or to Iraq."[10]

The CRS estimated in September 2006 that total expenditures had topped half a trillion dollars.[2] Additionally, the extended combat and equipment loss have placed a severe financial strain on the U.S Army, causing the elimination of non-essential expenses such as travel and civilian hiring.[11][12]

As the total passed US$450 billion, the cost for the Iraq war reached approximately $1500 per person in the United States.[13] If the Iraq war were to wind up costing 1.9 trillion dollars, the cost would be over 4.2 times higher ($6,300 per United States citizen.) This would put the expense at $25,000 for an average family of four, or $32,000 per family if Afghanistan is included.

As a comparison, with this money he estimates[13] that one could have built 8 million houses, paid 15 million teachers, paid for the child care of 530 million kids, paid for the scholarship of 43 million students, offered social safety net during 50 year to Americans. Stigltz also said that United States help for Africa is only $5 billion, soon to be superseded by China. $5 billion corresponds to 10 days expenses for the war."

Note to the Govt:

Im not ok with you re-distributing my tax money to socialize health care. Nor am I ok with you distributing my tax money to make billionaires, wait trillionaires, out of the companies that run the military industrial complex.

I gotta wonder how much the military bases in the other 128 countries are costing us...

I wonder how much it would have cost us if we would have just let the military handle the problem the right way from the beginning.

For sure it would have been long over by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
Plus the interest on the $130 billion from last month etc.etc. etc. Aren't we already will borrowing more money to pay for interest than anything else? If not we will by time Hussein Obama is out building habitat for humanity houses.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
AU N EGL
CF Senior Member

http://zfacts.com/p/461.html
AU N EGL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
mlongo99
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL View Post
Some great facts there, but what is with their nonsense about how the depression ended? That section spews all kinds of Keynesian garbage. A little extra debt makes a debt problem worse, but more extra debt makes it better?
mlongo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:34 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page How much does the U.S. borrow each month?

Tags
america, billions, borrow, borrowed, borrows, countries, day, iraq, money, month, states, united, us, usa, war