Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Old 10-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #21
68/70Vette
CF Senior Member

[QUOTE=panic;1575678923]I was cruising down town when I suddenly passed on the wrong carriage way, the guy at my side instead of letting me pass with ...............QUOTE]

Don't quite understand about passing on the wrong carriage way.

I assume in Spain, traffic moves moves in the same carriage way (lane) as in the US: i.e. you drive to the left. To pass another car on a multiple lane road therefore you are suppose to pass on the left. In otherwords slow moving traffic stays to the rightmost lane and you pass by using a lane to the left. I assume you passed the other car by passing to the right?

Here in the US, Los Angeles for sure, on a multiple lane road, passing on any lane is acceptable. For example on an express way with three lanes in the same direction (a six lane express way) if a car is in the center lane of the three, passing either to the right or left is acceptable here. I once was driving two German sisters around Los Angeles and they were surprised. I guess in Germany, probably all of Europe, you must always pass to the left and if the left most lane is occupied, you honk at the car expecting them to pull out of the way.

I guess if this is your "crime" I don't have any sympathy for the driver that got offended.

PS: Here in California, probably anywhere in the US, if someone is driving in the leftmost lane (the fast lane) and they are driving too slow don't honk at them. Most certainly they'll get angry. You have to pass them from a right lane.
68/70Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:02 PM   #22
panic
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97 View Post

...But I would learn to drive.

panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #23
RetiredSFC 97
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by panic View Post

RetiredSFC 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #24
EuroRod
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodude View Post
If you want to have some fun, buy one of these and wave it at the offending miscreant while shouting obscenities at him.

Click the image to open in full size.
You found my pistol.
And I thought it was lost in that terrible boating accident.
EuroRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #25
panic
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68/70Vette View Post

Don't quite understand about passing on the wrong carriage way.
There was a cross light at the end of a huge traffic jam, the lights were two, one for the cars turning left (the one I had to follow) and the one for the cars going streight, the line of the cars turning left was a mile long, the line for the cars going streight was ten times shorter.

I took the shorter line but turned left instead then going streight.

I was wrong, the guy was definitely right.

When the guy saw me turning left from the shorter line he got crazy and felt beeing the target of a personal unjustice...

What drove me nuts was that I often find myself in his position and seeing somebody jumping from the shorter line in front of me I just let him/her pass, often with a smile.

In Italy those who jump in front of your car are let pass because you know well tomorrow it's going to be you jumping in front of somebody else.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #26
RetiredSFC 97
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Quote:
There was a cross light at the end of a huge traffic jam, the lights were two, one for the cars turning left (the one I had to follow) and the one for the cars going streight, the line of the cars turning left was a mile long, the line for the cars going streight was ten times shorter.

When the guy saw me turning left from the shorter line he got crazy and felt beeing the target of a personal unjustice...

What drove me nuts was that I often find myself in his position and seeing somebody jumping from the shorter line in front of me I just let him/her pass, often with a smile.

In Italy those who jump in front of your car are let pass because you know well tomorrow it's going to be you jumping in front of somebody else.
Oh that's all. Heck we do that all the time around here. All you have to do is look stupid and say I'm sorry and go on your way.
RetiredSFC 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #27
DarkFox1
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHPD7102 View Post

Road rage seems to turn the most laid back Dr. Jekyl into Mr. Hyde at the drop of a hat.
it's the anonymity of it as well as being given a powerful "weapon" (your vehicle.)

When I had my vette I gave us all a bad name. I used that HP and had hard launches probably 3 or 4 times every day. I drive everything like that. My sierra is floored at least once a day for 5-10 sesconds.. just.. that's how I drive.. everything..

I fit in well in ATL with this.. but in my home town I was hell on wheels.

my father will close his eyes and say "wake me up when we get there." when he rides with me.

If someone cuts me off, I yell or blow the horn or flash the lights or take extra-ordinary yet still legal means to get around them and then I'm done with it.. I wash my hands.

There have been many times however.. that i've wanted to use the PIT maneuver to run people off the road.. but.. I've never done such a thing.

if however.. I were to meet these people in person I would never even attempt to be belligerent or violent to them in any way. In fact in person I can be quite timid.
DarkFox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:03 PM   #28
bill_daniels
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walford View Post
Speaking of wrong!
Pink not his color?
bill_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #29
Turbodude
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08

Quote:

Italian drivers!

You can take Panic out of Italy, but you cannot take Italy out of Panic.

Turbodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #30
VetVetter
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: YOU SEE ... I'M NOT CRAZY ...I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE

Flippin out occassionally ... don't sweat it.

Walford had it right (as he does often ... not always .. but often )
VetVetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:42 PM   #31
m and t's77
CF Senior Member

Quote:
If you want to have some fun, buy one of these and wave it at the offending miscreant while shouting obscenities at him.

Excellant choice in guns.

m and t's77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:53 AM   #32
panic
CF Senior Member

Quote:

Italian drivers!
Old 10-21-2010, 02:00 AM   #33
panic
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m and t's77 View Post
Excellant choice in guns.

My teen son would kill to own one of those...

He's an arms nut.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:27 AM   #34
Torqaholic
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09

Only time I blast strangers like that is when I'm on the motorcycle and they've almost just killed me through their own fault. It's not like I even know I am doing it though

On the rare occasion that someone else gets mad at me for making a driving mistake (it happens) I simply apologize. It's not a big deal to me that they are mad, I've earned it, it is a natural reaction from them.

Some sense an apology as a sign of weakness however and it can cause a reinvigorated attack. Like sharks drawn to blood in the water, evil seeks the weak. Well I don't apologize from a position of weakness and it won't bother me to defend myself after having offered them an easy out... It's a trap

Last edited by Torqaholic; 10-21-2010 at 02:29 AM.
Torqaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:40 AM   #35
JJMalone
CF Senior Member

Somewhere I read you don't really learn to swear until you start driving. When in a hurry and taking a faster through lane and dodging into a slower turn lane at the last second try to cut off and old women or someone who looks like they wouldn’t be armed. Around here that would be Priuses, Subarus, Volvos or any other small toilet powered vehicle with environmental stickers. Actually a lot of those types try to “out polite” each other and drive down through traffic jams letting anyone and everyone pull in front of them out of parking lots and stuff pissing everybody off behind them. Folks like us balance them out.
JJMalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:56 AM   #36
Turbodude
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08

Quote:
Speaking of which.....

During a trip to Rome we watched a car trying to parallel park with his front and rear bumpers in full contact with the cars in front and back. No air gap between bumpers at any time.

We just stood there laughing and pointing at the guy, which didn't impress his date too much. I think it got to be too much for him because he turned beet red and drove away in a huff giving us the "victory sign".
Turbodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:03 AM   #37
panic
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMalone View Post
Somewhere I read you don't really learn to swear until you start driving. When in a hurry and taking a faster through lane and dodging into a slower turn lane at the last second try to cut off and old women or someone who looks like they wouldn’t be armed. Around here that would be Priuses, Subarus, Volvos or any other small toilet powered vehicle with environmental stickers. Actually a lot of those types try to “out polite” each other and drive down through traffic jams letting anyone and everyone pull in front of them out of parking lots and stuff pissing everybody off behind them. Folks like us balance them out.
I loved that...

Somehow, we support ''diversification''

Old 10-21-2010, 03:23 AM   #38
NBM LS1 M6
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Location: I helped our POTUS return the wealth of America to it's rightful owners one parcel of real estate at a time.

The very fact that I am almost never cut off by other drivers, but I seem to (potentially) cut off other drivers on a daily basis tells me there are a lot of rude inconsiderate drivers on the road and that I drive very defensively.
NBM LS1 M6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:26 AM   #39
NBM LS1 M6
CF Senior Member

Location: I helped our POTUS return the wealth of America to it's rightful owners one parcel of real estate at a time.

"Taking a walk on the wild side."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
Oh, I thought you meant this:

Old 10-21-2010, 03:37 AM   #40
NBM LS1 M6
CF Senior Member

Quote:

That's not the tool of choice I would carry in my car. This is the tool of choice I would prefer to carry in my car at all times, and loaded at all times with extra ammo quickly available.

Last edited by NBM LS1 M6; 10-21-2010 at 03:40 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:37 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page I just had a walk on the wild side.