Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 06-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
Yamoto
CF Senior Member

Default Do you have a stockpile?

It's getting to the point where I have lost most faith in the western world ever seeing the light and getting back to making the economy great again. I have started slowly building up necessary items, such as canned food, toilet paper, soap and such. Considering buying a large tank to store a few hundred gallons of gas if things really start to get out of hand.

I am not paranoid or anything, but I am starting to question everyone reliance on the grocery store to always be stocked. Also started buying small amounts of gold, considering the dollar is dwindling rapidly. Funny how the world still runs based on near worthless paper.

I don't pretend to understand the entire economy, but I do know that you can only take from the successful to give to the unsuccessful for so long before nobody has anything.

The successful people know how to create wealth, the unsuccessful, with very few exceptions simply know how to spend with nothing to show. I drive by a poor part of town daily, a part that was built with successful peoples money and was to be "low income housing". When it was built it was actually nice looking, fairly cheap, but not bad, as they still had to remain within certain codes. It's been 8 years that it has been populated and now it is litterally a slum. Crap in yards, broken bottles everywhere, graffiti. It is sad, but it proves that just because you give failures a chance does not mean they will take advantage of it. They will simply take advantage of YOU.

So back on point, is anyone else converting their zombi stash into an economy stash?
Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Low12s
CF Senior Member

Location: Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the Rain.

Nope
Low12s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Koi
CF Senior Member

You need hand guns to protect your stockpile. In a collapse you would need to move around and it is not wise to walk around with a hunting rifle.

Check this out.. you might find it interesting.

http://www.survival-spot.com/surviva...tina-collapse/

Last edited by Koi; 06-08-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Thud
CF Senior Member

I need to build up my stash for emergencies. And by "emergency" I mean getting snowed in for a few days (like last January). So that means a few days of food, water, etc.

It doesn't make sense to stock up for a total economic collapse. You don't need to stock up on food, you need to learn to grow food. And make your own toilet paper.

Basically if you don't live on a farm, your f***ed.
Thud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
Vitoc
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
I need to build up my stash for emergencies. And by "emergency" I mean getting snowed in for a few days (like last January). So that means a few days of food, water, etc.

It doesn't make sense to stock up for a total economic collapse. You don't need to stock up on food, you need to learn to grow food. And make your own toilet paper.

I wonder if you can you make toilet paper out of potatoes?
Vitoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
tikiman
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Already got the farm. Raise my own beef and pork. Sixteen year old girl next door keeps me in eggs. Got two ponds full of fish and a clean river is one of my property lines. Total home generator with 500 gallons of fuel to keep me in power and water for a while. Enough guns and ammunition to take over a small banana republic country. Growing my own vegetables. Buying gold and silver in small bars and rounds. Canned goods, rice, pasta, flour, sugar, salt, and bulk spices fill a pantry. Have my own dairy (USDA) so milk is no problem and can be used as a bartering tool. I'm not too worried about total collapse - I think it will be fun to watch. From the sidelines, with a cold beer in one hand and a Heckler and Koch pistol in the other.

Last edited by tikiman; 06-08-2011 at 02:10 PM.
tikiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
tikiman
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoc View Post
I wonder if you can you make toilet paper out of potatoes?
Used versions of the Quran can be had from Amazon for cheap. Just keep a couple copies in the outhouse.
tikiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
Yamoto
CF Senior Member

Quote:

Trouble is at least here, the government made it all but impossible for law abiding citizens to protect themselves with hand guns.

Thank god the government was there to keep us safe from all these scary guns.

I started raising chickens, for eggs and meat, but no room for larger animals.

Only benefit is if the US economy collapsed, here would be ok financially for a bit longer as we did not dig ourselves quite as deep a hole.

80% of people apparently go to college now, so we have lots of people making imaginary money on wallstreet, but who is going to stock the grocery store shelves when everyone is making this cloud money that will be gone as soon as the dollar goes anyway? That degree in English Literature isn't going to put much food on the table.
Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
VITE1
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: SalemNH/Port St Lucie FL Life is hard, Then you die, NH USA
Send a message via Skype™ to VITE1

I've got guns, knives, Booze, Grains, plenty of firewood for the stove and this

Click the image to open in full size.

Tastes like Pork.
VITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
Koi
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiman View Post
Already got the farm. Raise my own beef and pork. Sixteen year old girl next door keeps me in eggs. Got two ponds full of fish and a clean river is one of my property lines. Total home generator with 500 gallons of fuel to keep me in power and water for a while. Enough guns and ammunition to take over a small banana republic country. Growing my own vegetables. Buying gold and silver in small bars and rounds. Canned goods, rice, pasta, flour, sugar, salt, and bulk spices fill a pantry. Have my own dairy (USDA) so milk is no problem and can be used as a bartering tool. I'm not too worried about total collapse - I think it will be fun to watch. From the sidelines, with a cold beer in one hand and a Heckler and Koch pistol in the other.
That sounds nice until the 16 yo poisons your eggs because her boyfriends family needs your stuff. The thugs are schooling in the cities already and it will just take them a little time to make it out to the farms.
Koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #11
67tripwr
CF Senior Member

Location: Bringing The Liberal Hypocrisy To Light, Tolerance Has Become Intolerable

Having been involved with the BSA now for around eight years, I have a plethora of camping equipment. I have everything I would need except for food stores. I have plenty of lead, guns, and ammo

My bug out area consists of a little over 800 acres of farm ground, and another 200 in timber and pastures. Currently over 100 hens provide around 60 eggs a day. There is a fully stocked spring fed lake as well.

I have one more 4 acre bug out area in Southern Indiana. It is wooded with a fresh water stream near by.

If the SHTF, I will be going north, and can hold up for years if need be.

67tripwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #12
Torqaholic
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09

No conversion necessary here. Being able to deal with zombies is incidental to what I've prepared for.

Self-reliance is a tough game. I've been meddling with it my whole life. I understand that it can not be achieved 100% in a social environment. There will still be commerce through bartering though so that's not a huge problem. I view it as an unattainable goal to strive for which can improve my quality of life.

The key to long term sustainability is the ability to produce something other people want. That requires an investment in equipment and experience. If you can't produce something others want you're completely at the mercy of others, assuming they can find any use for you at all (not a very safe bet).

I don't have "a stockpile" of things which I can't produce. I have several. These are not the basis for my survival, they simply add to my options. The basis is a widespread field of knowledge (medical, mechanical, botanical, chemical, etc) and the ability to apply it for myself and others.
Torqaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #13
tempest62
CF Senior Member

Quote:

when you're driven from your abode, your garden goes poof.

you need MRE-type food and be mobile.

handguns and a ton of ammo is a necessity, as much as MRE food.

an assault rife or two is a nice touch.......and some bayonets as a last line of defense.
tempest62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #14
Torqaholic
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest62 View Post
when you're driven from your abode, your garden goes poof.

you need MRE-type food and be mobile.

handguns and a ton of ammo is a necessity, as much as MRE food.

an assault rife or two is a nice touch.......and some bayonets as a last line of defense.
No reason to live out of a can just because you don't have a garden

A single bullet can feed you for a week. Hunting ammo stretches pretty far... And one of those several stockpiles I mentioned is fishing gear.

There are books on wild edible and medicinal plants available. Anyone who is concerned with survival should read these. I don't recommend waiting until you're hungry though, it's not as simple as it sounds... But the indians didn't have MRE and they survived for centuries living off this land by developing this knowledge.

I have several books on the subject. The most recent one I bought was this -

It has some real fancy meals. Not a starter book, you'd have to be a full time collector to impliment many of these recipies (or have a tribe do it for you) and I'm no 3 course meal kinda guy... But I did get a few good ideas out of it.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #15
tempest62
CF Senior Member

torq, thanks for the input
tempest62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #16
Torqaholic
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09

Anytime for you
Old 06-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #17
Rock-it Man
CF Senior Member

I have 8 quarts of Mobil 1 and a couple of PF-48 oil filters.

Also a backlog of good books to read.

Should prolly get an acoustic guitar one of these days. The electric doesn't sound so good without electricity.
Rock-it Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #18
67tripwr
CF Senior Member

Location: Bringing The Liberal Hypocrisy To Light, Tolerance Has Become Intolerable

Dried beans, rice with beef/venison jerky cooked can make a hell of a meal!

Cody: "Knowledge, is light and easy to carry"
67tripwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #19
Thud
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiman View Post
Where will your beer come from, and how will it stay cold?
Thud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #20
1955 BelAir
Eccentric Member
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09
Support Corvetteforum!

1st. rule is don't tell anyone what you have.
1955 BelAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:36 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page Do you have a stockpile?