Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 06-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
codyusa
CF Senior Member
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Default Tom Petty to Bachmann- stop using ‘American Girl’

This is confusing. Petty no doubt is far left in his thinking. Hussein and his followers believe in redistribution of wealth. That's what is going on here. They, the left (including Petty), want to take from the rich and redistribute to those that are less fortunate. He wrote a song and should be more than willing to let others enjoy his fruits of labor. After all, isn't that what he wants us to do?

It's not a campaign if a rock star doesn't get mad about a politician using their music without permission.

Following in the steps of David Byrne v. Charlie Crist and other legendary artist versus candidate smack downs, Tom Petty is reportedly preparing to take legal action against Michele Bachmann's campaign, after she played his 1977 hit "American Girl" at her 2012 announcement rally in Iowa Monday.

Petty's manager tells NBC's Kelly O'Donnell the rocker wasn't pleased about the use of the song and is planning to send a cease-and-desist letter over the matter. It's the second time Petty has asked a GOP politician to stop playing his music. During the 2004 campaign, Petty issued a similar letter to George W. Bush's re-election campaign after it played the singer's hit, "I Won't Back Down," at political events.

Usually, a cease-and-desist letter settles the matter, but the legal spats can get nasty. In 2008, Jackson Browne sued the Republican National Committee, Ohio Republican Party, and John McCain's campaign for an ad the Ohio GOP ran featuring his song, "Running on Empty." When the parties couldn't get the lawsuit dismissed, McCain publicly apologized.

Earlier this year, as The Ticket previously reported, Byrne sued Crist's campaign for playing a Talking Heads song in an ad against his then-GOP opponent Marco Rubio during the 2010 campaign. Earlier this year, the suit was settled after Crist recorded a pretty embarrassing video apology for using the song, "Road To Nowhere," without Byrne's permission.

A spokeswoman for Bachmann's campaign did not respond to a request for comment.
codyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
diddiyo
CF Senior Member

i also wouldn't let a person that doesn't believe in evolution and who says god told her to run for president use my song.
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
sabastian458
CF Senior Member

So Tom Petty's music can only be played by the left? Guess he shouldnt have put it up for sale for all to purchase. If they paid the royalites for the music to be played at the event, then there shouldnt be anything he can do about it. IMO that is.
sabastian458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
codyusa
CF Senior Member
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
i also wouldn't let a person that doesn't believe in evolution and who says god told her to run for president use my song.
What about all the redistribution of wealth that goes on. Those that get your money or you getting someone else's money and you or they purchase things that the other disagrees? Evidently, you're ok with that . You think redistribution is a buffet line?
codyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
Cybercowboy
CF Senior Member
Stealthy Puma Member
Cruise-In IV Veteran

When Chrissie Hines tried to sue Rush Limbaugh over the use of her song (his opening song) he told her to pound sand. He was paying the royalties and it is in the public domain. Tough s***.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
old stingray
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabastian458 View Post
So Tom Petty's music can only be played by the left? Guess he shouldnt have put it up for sale for all to purchase. If they paid the royalites for the music to be played at the event, then there shouldnt be anything he can do about it. IMO that is.
No pay to play.
old stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
pewter99
Auctioneer Administrator
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Support Corvetteforum!

Petty also did this before with other politicians...whatever.
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
Guru_4_hire
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Guru_4_hire

If the venue paid the royalties........
Guru_4_hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
pewter99
Auctioneer Administrator
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Support Corvetteforum!

I would rather musicians complain about people (politicians) using their music than for them to stand on stage and spew their political views.
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
hedgehead
CF Senior Member

How about this: Petty and Nugent

hedgehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #11
Thud
CF Senior Member

As long as they paid their ASCAP fees, Petty doesn't really have any say in the matter.
Thud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
sabastian458
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
As long as they paid their ASCAP fees, Petty doesn't really have any say in the matter.
That is my point.
sabastian458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #13
GARYFINN
CF Senior Member

Quote:
As opposed to Allah telling your idol urkel to run.
GARYFINN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #14
RetiredSFC 97
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

As long as I paid for the song I can play it wherever whenever I wish. Ascap has nothing to do with it.

Note to self.

No more downloads of Tom Petty songs. I will cease and desist. No problem.
RetiredSFC 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #15
RetiredSFC 97
CF Senior Member

Quote:
I doubt you have a song so what's your point?

I have a few, who actually mention God. Quite good actually!
Old 06-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #16
WallyWest
CF Senior Member

So, with Bachmann and Bush were the songs they used played in their entirety for the crowd to enjoy? Or was it a small clip from the song played as someone walked on stage?

I assume it was the latter and that sounds to me like fair use of a popular song.
WallyWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #17
Duck916
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97 View Post
As long as I paid for the song I can play it wherever whenever I wish. Ascap has nothing to do with it.

Well, no. When you bought the CD or audio file you did not acquire unlimited rights to broadcast or re-transmit the music. You can use the recording for your own personal use, but to legally play it in your restaurant or other business, you need to pay for a license.

Copyright law applied to music is especially complex because there are different rights holders. The songwriter, music composer, and performer may all have different rights. Most are represented by ASCAP or BMI.

Even "Happy Birthday to You" is protected by copyright. ASCAP reps the owners. I don't think they're going to break down your door if you sing it in your kitchen on your kid's birthday, but if you sing it in a scene in a movie that gets to the Academy Awards, you can bet you'll
be getting a call from one of ASCAP's lawyers.
Duck916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #18
LowFlight
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '03
Cruise-In V Veteran

Location: Any Problem On Earth Can Be Resolved Through The Careful Application Of Explosives
lowflight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post
When Chrissie Hines tried to sue Rush Limbaugh over the use of her song (his opening song) he told her to pound sand. He was paying the royalties and it is in the public domain. Tough s***.
Actually the record company would not let him use it. Hines did not know anything about it, but when she was asked, she said it was fine because even though she did not agree with him, her parents were big fans of Rush and so she had no problem with it. She told the record company (who never even consulted her) that it was ok.
LowFlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #19
Thud
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97 View Post
Incorrect... when you purchase a song, you have a license to play it for your own personal use (ever read the fine print?).

However, to be played in a public venue, the venue must pay a fee to ASCAP to publicly use the song.
Thud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #20
RetiredSFC 97
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck916 View Post
Well, no. When you bought the CD or audio file you did not acquire unlimited rights to broadcast or re-transmit the music. You can use the recording for your own personal use, but to legally play it in your restaurant or other business, you need to pay for a license.

Copyright law applied to music is especially complex because there are different rights holders. The songwriter, music composer, and performer may all have different rights. Most are represented by ASCAP or BMI.

Even "Happy Birthday to You" is protected by copyright. ASCAP reps the owners. I don't think they're going to break down your door if you sing it in your kitchen on your kid's birthday, but if you sing it in a scene in a movie that gets to the Academy Awards, you can bet you'll
be getting a call from one of ASCAP's lawyers.
I believe there is a making money off it thingy. I would fight this one. Rush is a different matter though because he is making money from his show. Politicians aren't making money from it's use.

I could be convinced if someone posted up the actual law that applies to it. Until then it doesn't matter, I DGAF.

I would also be interested to know if campaigns actually pay ASCAP licensing fees. If they do not, then do they receive individual permission, if they do not and it is a copyright infringement, then there is precedent set that it's ok, or it's not ok.

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 06-29-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:55 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page Tom Petty to Bachmann- stop using ‘American Girl’

Tags
american, beliefs, conroversy, conteversy, controversy, copyright, girl, law, music, petty, powered, religious, song, tom, vbulletin