Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-2013, 03:36 AM   #81
98stangt
CF Senior Member
 
98stangt's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: Chino Ca.
Default

You do know that we have a military, and it is a good way for young people to start out, whether you come from a rich or poor family. Free living quarters, 3 meals a day, training and they even have great tuition assistance programs while in and upon getting out. One just needs the want to better themselves. There is an old saying "where there is a will there is a way", you just have to want it. That is what made America great.
98stangt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:30 AM   #82
Platoface
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11
 
Member Since: Dec 2002
Location: Obama is a turd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhegler View Post
Yes!
Then start your own company.

Easier to bitch and whine like. The socialist you are.

Oh, AV.... Why you post this in OT? Tired of getting your *** handed to you in PRC. That's rhetorical.
Platoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:34 AM   #83
Platoface
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11
 
Member Since: Dec 2002
Location: Obama is a turd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanVette View Post
It is not true the lawyer worked harder and deserves more.

Most who get advanced degrees come from homes with educated parents. I would guess most burger flippers come from homes with parents who did not graduate college.

It is an uneven playing field. A rich kid will have daddy pay his school and advanced degree. A poor kid is expected to work while in school and keep grades up and takes out loans. Is that fair?

The reason this problem is more evident is because of the growing gap between the wealthy and those in poverty.



Start your own company and show everyone how you will make BILLIONS...

This is AmericanVettes mentality.... Yes they exist.


Last edited by Platoface; 08-07-2013 at 04:36 AM.
Platoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:38 AM   #84
carlton_fritz
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
 
carlton_fritz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4c4lt4 View Post
Nice fluff piece with a socialist agenda. How long has Cinnamon and Colby worked at their respective employers? Cesar has been with Costco for NINETEEN years. Why don't Cinnamon and Colby go work for Costco? Why don't we raise minimum wage to $100 an hour and give everyone the title of CEO, problem solved.
carlton_fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:41 AM   #85
carlton_fritz
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
 
carlton_fritz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakePlisken View Post
No doubt.

The OP posts this drivel a lot. He (and a lot of other low info types) don't seem to understand that

THE WAY TO INCREASE ONES WAGES IS TO INCREASE ONES VALUE.

If you are competing for a job that anyone can do (fast food, ****, putting the nut on the bolt) then you have less value (lots of people can do the job = high supply. Relative to the number of jobs = lower demand. Therefore lower "prices" or wages).

As said worker gains skills and experience they increase their value and enter a progressively smaller group of people (those with skills). Therefore they can demand higher wages because there is less competition.

If the skill set is very high, companies compete for the worker changing the equation and empowering the worker to demand more. If the company can't find anyone as qualified or with a narrow skill set (think nuclear physicist) they don't have leverage.

Take me for example. I bill $250.00 per hour as an independent consultant. After expenses, taxes and benefits, I end up with about $100 an hour. Since I can only bill about 50% of my time, my effective wage is about $50 an hour.

If a company wants to hire me they have to pay for my education level, and two decades of experience. In this case, gross wages of at least $150k per year plus benefits.

A company has a choice: hire a lesser qualified person for less or pay me what I demand. If they don't want to pay, I keep working for myself. (I've never worked for anyone yet - but I've hired a lot of employees)

The worker has a choice too: put in the time, energy and effort to increase one's skills (and value) or accept lower pay.

Personal responsibility. Get some.
carlton_fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:46 AM   #86
carlton_fritz
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
 
carlton_fritz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Default

Why do we need burger flippers? Eat at home. Be healthier. Save money.
carlton_fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:17 AM   #87
Platoface
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11
 
Member Since: Dec 2002
Location: Obama is a turd
Default

Why does Costco hate its employees?

Only $22 an hour. That is horrible. They should give them $1,000,000 to start since they applied for a job. Then at least $500 an hour minimum. They are stealing their workers lives by forcing them to service customers who they don't even know.

It's slavery my friends, outright slavery.
Platoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:26 AM   #88
nj02vette
CF Senior Member
 
nj02vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanVette View Post
The USA needs more burger flippers than "high skill" jobs. They must be paid a livable wage.

Lawyers are high skilled. Do we really need them? Think. Do we need AIG? Many of these high paying jobs are just ways to rip people off. They produce nothing and they do not improve the quality of life.

We should follow the lead in Europe and value life more than work. Set a 35 hour work week, increas wages to $15+ an hour for all, give 7 weeks paid vacation minimum, and everyone gets health care.

I could care less about what the work is. The fact is it is work. Unless you want to make an argument that some work is more dangerous or harder and should be paid more, but you're not making that argument. You are saying a CPA should get paid more than someone working in a senior assisted living center because accountants are better educated than people who look after the elderly. I disagree.

People are important. Not jobs.
Your correct.

In fact, we should all stop working and just let the government take care of us. What could go wrong?

And while we're at it, I want to star in the next Tom Cruise movie. Seriously. Remove him from the role and give it to me. Not fair that he makes that kind of money, I want it too. Doesn't matter I'm not qualified, is it fair he got the opportunity and I didn't (even though I never even chased it)? I shouldn't be treated like trash, give me 20mil now!
nj02vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #89
owebo
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11
 
owebo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Washigton, DC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Hardnoks View Post
I like pie.
Not from Costco, too expensive.....
owebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #90
Fuzzy Dice
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In IV Veteran
 
Fuzzy Dice's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2001
Location: Deltona Florida
Default

"in order to become a lawyer that burger flipper would have to take on 100k in debt"

Your point?....my niece went to Harvard Law...spent just north of $200,000 for that law degree...she borrowed all of it and her first job upon graduation was for $150,000..within three years she was up to $220,000 and after 5 years took a new job at $400,000...btw, she paid off the loan in 5 years all the while driving a used Toyota Camry...

My daughter started at Macy's on the floor for minimum wage...she worked her way up to being a buyer in 8 years and makes $155,000 now in her 13th year...she drove a Celica for many years before moving up to a Lexus 350 3 years ago...

To get back to the OP...comparing apples and oranges is foolish...how many members does Costco have times a $55 annual fee?...this is before they sell one item...ever try to find help on the floor of Costco?...9 times out of 10 I had to walk back up to the service counter to find someone...

This doesn't bother me because I know their business model does not provide floor folks in any of their departments other than deli, meats and bakery...

No other big box retailer pays like Costco unless they are also a membership wholesale club...apparently they can afford to given the low number of employees, membership fees and high cost of goods...

No, comparing Costco's business model to other companies unless they are wholesale clubs as well is simply ridiculous...those socialists who think differently should open up a fast food burger joint...pay their employees $25 an hour to start plus good benefits...to keep the doors open I'd bet a c-note to a stale donut their cheeseburger would be $12.95, fries would be $8.49 and a coke would be $4.95...

How long do you think that would last?...like I said, ridiculous...
Fuzzy Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #91
NotSlo
CF Senior Member
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09
 
NotSlo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Columbus OH
Default

Click the image to open in full size.
NotSlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #92
385-C5
CF Senior Member
 
385-C5's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Default

Are there actually people in here arguing that a burger flipper should make as much as a lawyer, accountant, doctor, etc? Idiots.
385-C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #93
SouthernSon
CF Senior Member
 
SouthernSon's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: Deal's Gap 2004 NCM Motorsports Track Crew Chief Support
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanVette View Post
What about the people with an IQ of 80 who are able to flip burgers but don't have the ability to do much more. Should they be limited to minimum wage jobs forever?
Hopefully they have parents that face reality, embrace it and work with it by getting off their butts and taking initiative to better themselves and their family. You know, parents that actually take responsibility for their own family members. Oh, I forgot, it takes a village. Yeah, right.......
SouthernSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #94
Railroadman
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13
 
Railroadman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Location: Rochester NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanVette View Post
So you are saying all the burger flipper jobs today are worth minimum wage and not $5 an hour? Using your logic there shouldn't be a McDonalds anywhere in the USA.

The fact is minimum wage for burger flippers could be $17 an hour and McDonalds would keep opening more restaurants. They would charge an extra nickle for a burger. Big deal. At least the workers would get paid like a human and not like a throw away.
That's exactly right. Now you understand. It does not matter whether minimum wage is $1 an hour, $8 an hour, or $97.23 an hour, a burger flipper will ALWAYS command minimum wage or near to it. That's the flaw in trying to raise someone's standard of living by raising the numerical definition of minimum wage. No matter what MW is, the burger flipper will be near there and the skilled workers will be higher.

Quote:
At least the workers would get paid like a human and not like a throw away.
Again - if you could go back 40 years, and pay a burger flipper $7.25 an hour, they would think they had it made in the shade. And if you pay them $15 an hour today, in a very short time THAT would not be enough.

It's the JOB ITSELF that is "minimum wage", not whatever number we assign to that job. And MW will ALWAYS be far less than what others make.

Or do you propose mandating that every working person should be paid exactly the same? Raise the burger flipper up to $20 an hour, bring the CEO down to $20 an hour, and the same for all in between?
Railroadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #95
danziger
CF Senior Member
 
danziger's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2001
Location: Pensacola FL
Default

Wow. Threads like these always identify the true Socialists. Viva la Worker Paradise, Comrades!

No wonder the USA is falling apart...
danziger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #96
danziger
CF Senior Member
 
danziger's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2001
Location: Pensacola FL
Default

One more thing: Envious is no way to go through life.
danziger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #97
bave
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2007
Location: Philadephia, Nashville, Kiawah PA, TN, SC
Default

Different businesses. One is selling a premium product (membership to a higher end market) compared to a discount product (low quality, low margin junk).

That's like talking about Ferrari techs compared to Kia techs.
bave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #98
78-Bandit
CF Senior Member
 
78-Bandit's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: NE of Philly Pa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsfan5454 View Post
apples to oranges much? One guy is a long term worker who has a skill (forklift). We can assume the Wendy's chick flips burgers and is much younger.

This is propaganda at best


It's a common union/democrat/socialist misconception that paying people more makes them worth more.
78-Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #99
c4cruiser
CF Senior Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor
Support Corvetteforum!
 
c4cruiser's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Lacey, Washington RVN '68-'69
Default

About the time that Mickey D's pays their flippers more than minimum wage (here in WA, that's $9.10/hr) a large number of their stores won't make a profit unless the price of a Big Mac goes to $12 each. That wont happen.

There have been protests around the greater Seattle area where the burger flippers want a minimum of $15/hr. They have even protested inside stores which did not much more than making the customers laugh. A 50%+ increase is something that fast food businesses are just not going to do.

A couple months ago a guy complained that his $10/hr job (refueling jet aircraft at the Seattle airport) wasn't enough to pay for his house, two car payments, the wife and two kids and evenings out. His wife works, but doesn't make much more than he does. Apparently living within his means is a strange concept.

One of the biggest problems is that some people are not willing to try to find a good-paying job. Or they may not have the educational background or the will to work hard.. IMHO, if you don't want to work hard or don't care about getting some sort of education that will help you get a decent paying job, then I see no reason why a burger flipper should demand something like $15/hr.
c4cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #100
LTC Z06
Get Some!
Support Corvetteforum!
 
LTC Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2001
Location: Soon to Europe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4c4lt4 View Post
Nice fluff piece with a socialist agenda. How long has Cinnamon and Colby worked at their respective employers? Cesar has been with Costco for NINETEEN years. Why don't Cinnamon and Colby go work for Costco? Why don't we raise minimum wage to $100 an hour and give everyone the title of CEO, problem solved.
Do we really think Wendy's customer service would improve that much if they had higher wages??? Pay is also proportional to what you need the employee to do.
LTC Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:05 AM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page Worker Wages: Wendy's vs. Wal-Mart vs. Costco
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Walmart should run the government EuroRod Politics, Religion & Controversy 25 11-21-2013 05:58 PM
Costco's Profit Soars As Low-Wage Competitors Struggle John Shiels Politics, Religion & Controversy 147 06-09-2013 09:00 AM
Sorry Unions: Wal-Mart Reports Record Black Friday Sales SeaFive Politics, Religion & Controversy 79 11-26-2012 08:55 PM
Walmart to soon follow Hostess RubberBill Politics, Religion & Controversy 136 11-19-2012 06:31 PM
Wal-Mart Destroying America? 20 Facts About Wal-Mart That Will Absolutely Shock You 67tripwr Politics, Religion & Controversy 171 07-13-2012 01:56 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:43 AM.


Emails & Password Backup