Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 09-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
67tripwr
CF Senior Member

Location: Bringing The Liberal Hypocrisy To Light, Tolerance Has Become Intolerable
Default Marine Vet Loses Home For 134.00 Dollar Tax Bill

On the day Bennie Coleman lost his house, the day armed U.S. marshals came to his door and ordered him off the property, he slumped in a folding chair across the street and watched the vestiges of his 76 years hauled to the curb.

Movers carted out his easy chair, his clothes, his television. Next came the things that were closest to his heart: his Marine Corps medals and photographs of his dead wife, Martha. The duplex in Northeast Washington that Coleman bought with cash two decades earlier was emptied and shuttered. By sundown, he had nowhere to go.

All because he didn’t pay a $134 property tax bill.

HOMES FOR THE TAKING:
LIENS, LOSS AND PROFITEERS — Part 1 of 3

Part 2 — As federal agents investigated a sweeping bid-rigging scheme at Maryland’s tax auctions, some of those same suspects were in the District, engaging in dozens of rounds of unusual bidding. Coming Monday.
Part 3 — District tax officials have made hundreds of mistakes in recent years by declaring property owners delinquent even after they paid their taxes, forcing them to fight for their homes. Coming Tuesday.
The retired Marine sergeant lost his house on that summer day two years ago through a tax lien sale — an obscure program run by D.C. government that enlists private investors to help the city recover unpaid taxes.

For decades, the District placed liens on properties when homeowners failed to pay their bills, then sold those liens at public auctions to mom-and-pop investors who drew a profit by charging owners interest on top of the tax debt until the money was repaid.

But under the watch of local leaders, the program has morphed into a predatory system of debt collection for well-financed, out-of-town companies that turned $500 delinquencies into $5,000 debts — then foreclosed on homes when families couldn’t pay, a Washington Post investigation found.

As the housing market soared, the investors scooped up liens in every corner of the city, then started charging homeowners thousands in legal fees and other costs that far exceeded their original tax bills, with rates for attorneys reaching $450 an hour.

How you could lose your home
Property owners in the District risk losing their homes over relatively small amounts in unpaid property taxes. Here’s a look at the process:

Next
If you don't pay your taxes, the District sells a lien for the tax debt to an investor, usually a company. The investor gets a lien.
$2,500
The typical lien amount, just a fraction of the property's value
Tax liens the District has sold from 2005 to 2012
Note: The District no longer sells tax liens on houses for delinquent tax bills under $1,000. Lien amounts include property taxes, penalties and interest. The District doesn’t track legal fees charged to homeowners. The estimates of legal fees is besed on a Post study of more than 200 cases. The foreclosure and court cases are through mid-2013.

Source: Data from D.C. Office of Tax and Revenue and D.C. Superior Court
Families have been forced to borrow or strike payment plans to save their homes.

Others weren’t as lucky. Tax lien purchasers have foreclosed on nearly 200 houses since 2005 and are now pressing to take 1,200 more, many owned free and clear by families for generations.

Investors also took storefronts, parking lots and vacant land — about 500 properties in all, or an average of one a week. In dozens of cases, the liens were less than $500.

Coleman, struggling with dementia, was among those who lost a home. His debt had snowballed to $4,999 — 37 times the original tax bill. Not only did he lose his $197,000 house, but he also was stripped of the equity because tax lien purchasers are entitled to everything, trumping even mortgage companies.

“This is destroying lives,” said Christopher Leinberger, a distinguished scholar and research professor of urban real estate at George Washington University.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/inv...-with-nothing/
67tripwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
PJC6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

WTH?

Hopefully this can be overturned.....people should be outraged
PJC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
phileaglesfan
CF Senior Member

And then there is one idiot in my neighborhood that hasn't paid taxes or his loan for 3 years and they can't kick him out because he has children (grandchildren to be exact) staying there.
phileaglesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Yamoto
CF Senior Member

SO why didn't he pay the $134? I mean, I've been downright broke at times in my life, but somewhere, I find it hard to believe he couldn't come up with less than 150 bucks to save his house.

I feel sorry for him in the way that it was way over dramatic for what it was and could have been handled better, but I've said it before, and I'll say it again, pay your ****ing bills, don't get into more debt than you can handle and don't sign important papers that you haven't read.

If you follow those 3 simple rules, you don't have to worry about getting the boot from your home.
The fact that he is a veteran is 100% irrelevant to the case, it's only a sympathy adder.
Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #5
steve_n_houston
CF Senior Member

It's quaint that folks still think that the .gov gives a rats *** about honest citizens -- even those that fought to allow the very jackboots to now step on their necks.

steve_n_houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
67tripwr
CF Senior Member

Location: Bringing The Liberal Hypocrisy To Light, Tolerance Has Become Intolerable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamoto View Post
SO why didn't he pay the $134? I mean, I've been downright broke at times in my life, but somewhere, I find it hard to believe he couldn't come up with less than 150 bucks to save his house.

I feel sorry for him in the way that it was way over dramatic for what it was and could have been handled better, but I've said it before, and I'll say it again, pay your ****ing bills, don't get into more debt than you can handle and don't sign important papers that you haven't read.

If you follow those 3 simple rules, you don't have to worry about getting the boot from your home.
The fact that he is a veteran is 100% irrelevant to the case, it's only a sympathy adder.

Did you read the story?

Quote:
Coleman, struggling with dementia
67tripwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #7
02*C5
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamoto View Post

If he is suffering from dementia, as stated in the article, this issue could be nothing more than a blur in his mind specially if there is not an executor to handle his business finacial or otherwise. I am sure though that the predatory bank practices specially of people in his condition had nothing to do with it.
02*C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
mrvette
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02*C5 View Post
If he is suffering from dementia, as stated in the article, this issue could be nothing more than a blur in his mind specially if there is not an executor to handle his business finacial or otherwise. I am sure though that the predatory bank practices specially of people in his condition had nothing to do with it.
I not one bit surprised, over the years, the crap I seen first hand going on in the DC region, this is nothing new or unusual.....

mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #9
Zoomin
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

Anyone that thinks they own their property free and clear better think again. Crap like this infuriates me.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #10
02*C5
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
Anyone that thinks they own their property free and clear better think again. Crap like this infuriates me.
This right here. The .gov has u by the ***** at every turn. If u dont pay ur taxes regardless what u think u own they will take it.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:35 AM   #11
MY03Vette
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02*C5 View Post
Pretty sure this wasn't since it was a TAX BILL. Stop blaming banks already.....
MY03Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #12
VITIS
CF Senior Member

Here in MO you have to be 3 years in arrears on tax before property is sold at county tax auction. Then owner has another year to pay the tax before losing property. In reality, only properties that are abandoned or have oblivious owners ae lost thrugh tax auctions.
VITIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #13
HyperX
U.S. Marines 89-93
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via AIM to HyperX Send a message via Yahoo to HyperX

A private collections company turned that 134 into 5000 dollars. This story makes my blood boil.
HyperX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #14
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06
Support Corvetteforum!

rwscissors2

Property tax is the antithesis of the concept of "liberty".
Scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #15
RetiredSFC 97
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
RetiredSFC 97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #16
sub006
CF Senior Member

A sad day for that patriot. The county governments don't want to take such actions at taxpayer expense, so they turn them over to private "investors" who don't mind being the bad guy as long as they reap their handsome private enterprise profits.

Last edited by sub006; 09-10-2013 at 05:20 AM.
sub006 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #17
texvette2
CF Senior Member

Ok why didn't he/someone pay the 134.00. If brain was gone, that could have
been easily established. Home sold and moved to a facility

Were they just being stupid and letting the interest accumulate. If so should be
treated no differently than anyone else who does not pay there tax bill. Why
does being a vet make him any different than others who owe taxes. That would
make him just like the handout people. Wanting special treatment. Vets today
take on the role as a job. Not drafted and forced. They should not be treated
any differently than other working americans. Are paid to go and shoot at other
countries because politicians got there panties in a twist. Don't like the job don't
join.
texvette2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #18
02*C5
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY03Vette View Post
Pretty sure this wasn't since it was a TAX BILL. Stop blaming banks already.....
Do you have any idea what dementia is...do i need to spell it out to you or are you suffering from it yourself. WTF dont you know what dementia does to the mind. Do you really think that being a "tax bill" to this man might be any different than a coupon mailer....wtf is wrong with some of you. And this has nothing to do with his vet status dementia effe ts millions of elderly Americans that end up like this. If.....IF he did not have some one to look over his damn finances he would not be able to tell any difference. At 76 yrs of age with dementia the bank amybe should have made an exception but hell they dont with stand to make more money on the property if he kept it than repoing it and selling it right. Dont patronize me with the "stop blaming the banks" bull****

Last edited by 02*C5; 09-09-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #19
vettfixr
CF Senior Member

No tax should leave you homeless.
Having property is a choice. Why should someone who invests in a house rather than a boat or airplane be subject to annual taxes in order to keep his property? It's the most regressive tax ever created and my state is the worst example of it.
vettfixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #20
HyperX
U.S. Marines 89-93
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via AIM to HyperX Send a message via Yahoo to HyperX

Quote:
Originally Posted by texvette2 View Post
Ok why didn't he/someone pay the 134.00. If brain was gone, that could have
been easily established. Home sold and moved to a facility

Were they just being stupid and letting the interest accumulate. If so should be
treated no differently than anyone else who does not pay there tax bill. Why
does being a vet make him any different than others who owe taxes. That would
make him just like the handout people. Wanting special treatment. Vets today
take on the role as a job. Not drafted and forced. They should not be treated
any differently than other working americans. Are paid to go and shoot at other
countries because politicians got there panties in a twist. Don't like the job don't
join.
His son tried. He paid almost $1k trying to get this resolved.
HyperX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:44 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page Marine Vet Loses Home For 134.00 Dollar Tax Bill