Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 01-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
Dr Octane
CF Senior Member

Default Gun owners beware: Man pulled over, harassed for having permit but no gun

If you drive through Maryland is this what you can expect?
excerpts:

There can be times when a person who supports his Second Amendment rights can get harassed — even when he’s not currently exercising those rights. It happened to a Tampa-area businessman recently, and it wasn’t pretty.

Shortly after entering Maryland on their drive south on I-95 in their year-old Ford Explorer with his wife Kelly and three teenage girls, Filippidis noticed that he was being checked out by an unmarked police car. The car would follow for a bit, pull slowly ahead, then fall back behind again.

“Ten minutes he’s behind us,” John said. “We weren’t speeding. In fact, lots of other cars were whizzing past. We keep wondering, is he going to do something?”

They were finally pulled over and discovered that they’d been bird-dogged by the Maryland Transportation Authority Police.

Ten minutes after an officer took Filippidis’s license, registration and proof of insurance to his patrol car, he returned the documents, ordered him out of the vehicle and told him to hook his thumbs behind his back and spread his legs.

“You own a gun,” the officer said. “Where is it?”

“At home in my safe,” Filippidis replied.

The officer told him to stay put, then returned to the Explorer to check with John’s wife, Kelly.

“Your husband owns a gun,” he told her. “Where is it?”

She wasn’t aware that he’d left it home, and told the officer it could be anywhere — in the glove box, in the console — she just didn’t know. He walked back to Filippidis, still standing spread-legged between the SUV and cop car.

“You’re a liar. You’re lying to me. Your family says you have it. Where is the gun? Tell me where it is and we can resolve this right now.”

Right about this time, one has to ask, “How did they know he was a gun owner?” along with, “Why was he stopped in the first place?”

Claiming that the wife’s inability to corroborate the husband gave him probable cause, the officer called in backup and spent the next two hours searching the Explorer and its contents. Question three: Probable cause of what? Legally possessing a firearm?

He added to The Tribune with a sense of frustration, “And he wants to put me in jail. He wants to put me in jail. For no reason. He wants to take my wife and children away and put me in jail. In America, how does such a thing happen? … And after all that, he didn’t even write me a ticket.”

After searching the vehicle, the officer let Filippidis leave with just a warning. Question four: Warning for what? For not exercising his Second Amendment rights?

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2014/01/...t-no-gun-94513
Dr Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
owebo
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11

Naziland should be avoided at all cost. It's one big Constitution free zone.
owebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
VetVetter
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: YOU SEE ... I'M NOT CRAZY ...I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE

How did MD police know he had a FL CCP? What do cops do - randomly pick out cars with out-of-state plates and run them against shared databases?

And, the FL permit is not valid in MD.

Lots more I'd like to understand about all this.
VetVetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:45 AM   #4
EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ ____________ 281.464.2800

englandgreen englandgreen stephenrawlins englandgreen

Guy was issued "an apology" by the senior cops - and that's it. No explanation of why he was followed or stopped...
EG@EnglandGreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:53 AM   #5
amm0bob
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via Yahoo to amm0bob

Welcome to the new America...
amm0bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #6
owebo
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetVetter View Post
How did MD police know he had a FL CCP? What do cops do - randomly pick out cars with out-of-state plates and run them against shared databases?

And, the FL permit is not valid in MD.

Lots more I'd like to understand about all this.
The trick in Maryland is that if you are no permitted, the gun must be in a locked case or trunk, out of reach. You can also not 'import' ANY banned weapons, which includes driving them through state...PERIOD.

Quote:
PSA

Traveler's checklist:

******* *Standard firearms ownership: unrestricted, but permit required for handgun sales

******* *Semi-auto gun / high capacity magazines: import of assault weapons prohibited;*transfer or sale of over 10 shot magazines prohibited

******* *Machine Gun Ownership: state registration; otherwise compliance with federal law

******* *Firearm law uniformity: preemption law, firearm laws uniform throughout state

******** *Right of Self-Defense: no NRA-model castle doctrine, duty to retreat in public areas

******* *Open carry: prohibited in all public areas

******* *Concealed carry: license required; granted on a discretionary basis; no reciprocity for non-residents with carry permits from other states

*********** *Vehicle carry and transportation: loaded, readily accessible handguns prohibited; exceptions exist for unloaded transport; rifles & shotguns must remain unloaded

******* *State Parks: possession and carry of firearms prohibited except at designated ranges

********** *Restaurants serving alcohol: permittees may carry while eating in dining areas - see p.3

******** *Duty to notify LEO of permit status: upon demand of police officer

******* *Vehicle gun possession at colleges: subject to college administrative policy
*********** Maryland has a multitude of restrictions on the possession of handguns and military pattern semi-autos (assault weapons).* The state requires handgun*purchasers to be licensed.** Any firearm classified as an "assault weapon" is banned from import entirely.** And the sale or transfer of any over 10 shot magazine is prohibited.

Handgun carry is similarly regulated so that it is almost impossible for an unlicensed person to carry a handgun legally.

*********** Maryland permittees: The state requires a license to carry a loaded handgun on one's person or in a vehicle.* The state police issue such permits on a highly discretionary basis to persons demonstrating a compelling need for a 2- year term.* Maryland will issue permits to nonresidents on rare occasions.* But*the state will not recognize carry permits from other states.

*********** Persons without Maryland permits: A traveler without a*
Maryland permit may not carry a handgun on foot or in a vehicle in a loaded or readily accessible manner.* But he may transport an unloaded handgun in a secure case if he is traveling to a recognized shooting*competition, bonafide gun show,* hunting exercise, or some other gun-related event.* Magazines may remain loaded while in a vehicle as long they are not attached to, or inserted into, any handgun.

Travelers passing through the state may transport inaccessible handguns even if they are not traveling to one of these events as long as the*weapons are*unloaded, cased and, either stowed in the trunk, or locked in a case if the vehicle has no trunk.

******* All Persons: Rifles and shotguns may be transported in a vehicle for any reason. But, due to Maryland's conservation/hunting laws, the weapons must be unloaded and secured in commercial cases or gun racks regardless of whether one has a permit.

*********** Maryland's preemption statute provides uniformity for most gun laws*throughout the state.* But localities may still regulate the discharge of firearms*within their limits and the carry of firearms within 100 yards of schools, parks,*churches, public buildings, and places of public assembly.* A recently enacted self-defense law provides homeowners with civil immunity from damages sustained byunlawful intruders against whom the homeowner employs deadly force.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #7
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14

We keep building bigger badder computers, which have the capability to search far beyond what one would expect. Anytime you input something within the technology, expect it to be recorded. They can even view your information when you're off line, if your technology has the right equipment. Every time you click on an ad, even if you have no interest in that ad, your technology is sending out information, keep in mind that just about everything these days have a built in gps. The bigger those computers get the less you're going to like it.
8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #8
Grumpy
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14
NCM Sinkhole Donor

another place never to visit
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #9
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
St. Jude Donor '09
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: 1.Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me... 2.That which does not kill me will probably hurt like hell. 3. Islam is the enemy.
Send a message via AIM to Jughead

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetVetter View Post

Safer than going after criminals with guns.
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #10
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You're not safe from that no matter where you go. To think that you are, is just a false sense.

Next time you hear that big brother is watching, know that he is.
8388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #11
owebo
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11

Quote:
Originally Posted by amm0bob View Post
Welcome to the new America...
Maryland's contribution to liberal America is to make gun felons out of law abiding citizens so that they can no longer own guns....
Old 01-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #12
Arcticshark
CF Senior Member

Sidewinder56

This is why I like it up here in Alaska. We seem to enjoy more freedom up here. You don't even need a permit to carry concealed here.
Arcticshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:08 AM   #13
RedLS1GTO
CF Senior Member

Hold on folks. It's only going to get worse.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #14
pewter99
Auctioneer Administrator
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
I believe in the Beer Fairy
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post

explains a lot about some of our posters who live there
pewter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #15
Dr Octane
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owebo View Post
The trick in Maryland is that if you are no permitted, the gun must be in a locked case or trunk, out of reach. You can also not 'import' ANY banned weapons, which includes driving them through state...PERIOD.
That sounds like that goes against the McClure-Volkmer Act.
Dr Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #16
steve_n_houston
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Octane View Post
..and at least the 4th Amendment.

Guy needs to lawyer up and make Maryland realize that ignoring the Constitution and stomping on people's rights is a costly proposition.
steve_n_houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:26 AM   #17
owebo
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Octane View Post
But, you can leave the state with them......
Old 01-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #18
ET
CF Senior Member

Maryland is for Lovers......................of Fascism.
ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:37 PM   #19
VetVetter
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: YOU SEE ... I'M NOT CRAZY ...I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by owebo View Post
That makes sense. That list of restrictions is ********.

I can carry in VA. If I am on a trip and have to go into MD ... I could get out of car in VA - lock up my pistol .... BUT ... if I am carrying my Glock that has 15 round magazine - then I cannot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
Safer than going after criminals with guns.

Ya Amazing.

I do not want to get into, nor am I saying, LEO's suck. But my respect for them has been slowly dwindling over time.
VetVetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #20
02*C5
CF Senior Member

And the guys whos rights where unjustly violated nor anyone else will do anything about it.
02*C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:46 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page Gun owners beware: Man pulled over, harassed for having permit but no gun