CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   San Rafael chevrolet went out of their way to replace our damaged vette with a new, b (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1581344-san-rafael-chevrolet-went-out-of-their-way-to-replace-our-damaged-vette-with-a-new-b.html)

Flecker 12-27-2006 10:53 AM

My thought is this;:toetap:
The visable damge can be repaired but who knows, what has this person done to the cars other componnents? IE: engine, suspension electronics all of that may be damaged but has not developed into a problem.All of this could be an un forseen breakdown in the future because of the actions of the employee's driving.:smash:
Get the help to sue for a new vechicle and then no worries!:nono: Do not settle for a repair, Ask yourself do I let my best friends drive my Vette?

HEY MR DEALER ! IF YOU DO READ THIS POST YOU SHOULD SETTLE WITH A NEW VETTE TODAY!!

corvette pilot 12-27-2006 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by LT4CompYell (Post 1558239104)
IAnd btw when you take a car in for service there's an implied (and you also sign the work order) right to test drive the car by person(s) at the facility. Maybe not everyone, and maybe not this person, but service people.

There is an implied right to test drive for a bad antenna and a jammed trunk?

webdzynes 12-27-2006 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by cthusker (Post 1558263511)
The example you use is nothing like what happened to this car! A scratch isn't going to be recorded in CAR FAX! This car was WRECKED big time. I and most other people wouldn't consider buying a wrecked vette for almost any price. Would you buy a vette that had been smashed? If so then how much would you want off the book value? This will cost him thousands of dollars at sale time, not hundreds. Should he get stuck with losing that money or the dealership that wrecked it? Answer is pretty clear IMO. How about the dealership fixing the car and then buying it from him at TOP DOLLAR! Then the dealership sells him a new vette at DEALER INVOICE. What do you think any dealer is going to offer for this wrecked vette? Draw the line my azz! This dealership is 100% in the wrong! They were told specifically NOT TO DRIVE IT! What part of that statement didn’t they understand? By ignoring those instructions makes them FULLY responsible to make him financially whole. Draw the line? Surely you jest! Any reputable dealership would make good on this one.

In principle, you're absolutely correct. Unfortunately the ensuing law suit wont recognize the verbal statement from the owner saying that the car is "not to be driven". The only way that can be proved is if there was a witness to the statement. (If there is, its a new ballgame). The dealer IS obligated to make the victim whole which means he must repair the car to the "before" condition. What potential damage the driver may have done, if it cant be proved, goes nowhere. Cant sue on speculation. Diminished value is a very real thing but again, it becomes a speculation. As I see it, the only way the owner could be compensated for that in the suit would be to actualy realize the damage. In other words, trade the car and get a statement from the purchaser saying 'I only paid "x" because of the accident. Had that not occurred, I would have paid "y"'. That serves as realized damages and is compensable. Certainly not a recommendation but it is an option.

There may be another viable option. Obviously any public oriented business hates bad press. Generally, most cities have TV stations which have some type of "consumer reporter" thing where they do a story and try to get a live interview with the "bad guy" thereby exposing just how bad, in this case the dealership, is. Then its not just a vette thing but the principles of the dealership being revealed. THAT can indeed put them out of business.

Hey dealer - the heat is going up!!!

scrannel 12-27-2006 11:52 AM

Well, if it were I... drugs, wipe-out, passing on shoulder... there is more than enough weight on the dealer being a lying sumbag to lend credence to just about anything you want to sue him for. In other words, could you convince a jury? Remember, this is America. IF you really want to sue. A better combination action might be to have your insurance handle it, and try to find a way to go nuclear in the press etc. I once went nuclear on Wolkswagen America when the dealer lied and sold my aging father a car without anti-lock brakes (after he had even paid for that option). VWs first reaction was "Dealer issue, not our problem." But then someone at VW decided the dealer had just gone too far -- called me back and said "what color would your dad like his new car to be?" Maybe GM can be brought into the game after all. Try, try again...

Duck916 12-27-2006 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by scrannel (Post 1558265469)
Well, if it were I... drugs, wipe-out, passing on shoulder... there is more than enough weight on the dealer being a lying sumbag to lend credence to just about anything you want to sue him for.

Did I miss the post where the dealer lied?

jschindler 12-27-2006 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by webdzynes (Post 1558265304)
..... In other words, trade the car and get a statement from the purchaser saying 'I only paid "x" because of the accident. Had that not occurred, I would have paid "y"'. That serves as realized damages and is compensable. Certainly not a recommendation but it is an option. ...

There is a way to settle that issue right now. The dealer could give him NADA trade value and sell him a new one at invoice. The dealer should actually make money on both ends of the deal and take away any future risk of diminished value.

cthusker 12-27-2006 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Hoonose (Post 1558264548)
Maybe most here wouldn't buy the car, but down the road there will be plenty of emotionally uninvolved who will. And I would bet most buyers aren't checking carfax. Down the road in a few years there are all sorts of depreciating items that bring down the resale value of a used car.

Given two identical used cars, 3 years from now. One has a carfax and correct repair. The other has an interior that needs thousands of dollars of work. I'd bet the repaired one would be an easier sell.

My point is he shouldn't have to guess. All things being equal his car is worth less money because of it being smashed. I've sold plenty of cars and usually one of the first questions asked is has it been in an accident. Most people I've sold to do check Car Fax now. It's cheap and another way to insure the seller is honest. With a little due diligence he can find out pretty close what his car is worth after it's been repaired. Have the dealer that smashed it give him a trade in price and compare to other dealers. There is no way most vette buyers aren't going to want a substantial price reduction on a used vette that's been smashed. There are many people that simply won’t buy a car that's been wrecked. A vette is a specialty car and now his market is further reduced by the wreck. That's very easy to prove in court with an expert witness. The dealer can make this all go away if he just plays fair. If not then cya in court would be my attitude. I simply would not be prepared to take a financial hit because of something a dealership had caused. Frankly I wouldn’t want my car back period if it was smashed the way that one is…..

webdzynes 12-27-2006 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by jschindler (Post 1558266036)
There is a way to settle that issue right now. The dealer could give him NADA trade value and sell him a new one at invoice. The dealer should actually make money on both ends of the deal and take away any future risk of diminished value.

This would certainly seem to be both the easiest and the most equitable solution for everyone. But, it's a tough call all around. The owner solidifies the loss (from what he paid new) upon the trade and then also takes a hit when he drives the new car off the lot even buying it at invoice. However, being realistic, the loss on the car exists now through diminished value, albeit unrealized. Thats only going to be mitigated somewhat if the car is repaired and held onto for several years. There will always be a diminshed value quotiant but it will reduce over time, comparitively speaking. Frankly, shy of an aggressive lawsuit and a way to incorporate the diminished value component, I just dont see how the owner comes out whole. The only good solution I come up with is to make the dealers situation one that loses far more money than it would cost to make this owner happy. That means getting the press involved - in as big a way as is possible. Losing business, especially alot of it, can be a major motivator. Good luck however this goes...

LOS ANGELES PI 12-27-2006 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by jschindler (Post 1558266036)

No way.

The proper thing to do is give the guy a new car. The dealer has insurance for this.

People will speak of a negative experience 10x over but will rarely speak of a positive one.

Its just good business sense for the dealer to do the right thing. After all, he told them not to drive the car.

webdzynes 12-27-2006 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by LOS ANGELES PI (Post 1558266473)
No way.

The proper thing to do is give the guy a new car. The dealer has insurance for this.

People will speak of a negative experience 10x over but will rarely speak of a positive one.

Its just good business sense for the dealer to do the right thing. After all, he told them not to drive the car.

Morally, you're absolutely right. Legally however, all the dealer is required to do is make the owner whole - put the car back into the technical condition it was before the accident. This dealer sounds like one who isnt at all interested in good business sense.

kedvesh 12-27-2006 01:45 PM

DAMN! Sorry to hear 'bout everything.

The stealer needs to make things right and give you a new 2006 or 2007. HE/THEY can then try to sell the damaged 2005 for what they can get for it at auction or whatever.

In any case, talk a lot with the insurance company about how to deal with these yahoos. As mentioned earlier, investing a few hundred dollars in a certified letter, advice, etc. from a lawyer may also help and reduce your stress level.

If not, curcify their azz's in the press, with GM, the BBB, etc. Ask one of those consumer protection things the TV stations like to do to do a segment on your situation.

Good luck with it all! Hope you have a better 2007 than end of 2006!

ask1ed 12-27-2006 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by webdzynes (Post 1558265304)
In principle, you're absolutely correct. Unfortunately the ensuing law suit wont recognize the verbal statement from the owner saying that the car is "not to be driven". The only way that can be proved is if there was a witness to the statement. (If there is, its a new ballgame). The dealer IS obligated to make the victim whole which means he must repair the car to the "before" condition. What potential damage the driver may have done, if it cant be proved, goes nowhere. Cant sue on speculation. Diminished value is a very real thing but again, it becomes a speculation. As I see it, the only way the owner could be compensated for that in the suit would be to actualy realize the damage. In other words, trade the car and get a statement from the purchaser saying 'I only paid "x" because of the accident. Had that not occurred, I would have paid "y"'. That serves as realized damages and is compensable. Certainly not a recommendation but it is an option.

There may be another viable option. Obviously any public oriented business hates bad press. Generally, most cities have TV stations which have some type of "consumer reporter" thing where they do a story and try to get a live interview with the "bad guy" thereby exposing just how bad, in this case the dealership, is. Then its not just a vette thing but the principles of the dealership being revealed. THAT can indeed put them out of business.

Hey dealer - the heat is going up!!!

They replaced the car as promised.

ask1ed 12-27-2006 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by cthusker (Post 1558263511)
The example you use is nothing like what happened to this car! A scratch isn't going to be recorded in CAR FAX! This car was WRECKED big time. I and most other people wouldn't consider buying a wrecked vette for almost any price. Would you buy a vette that had been smashed? If so then how much would you want off the book value? This will cost him thousands of dollars at sale time, not hundreds. Should he get stuck with losing that money or the dealership that wrecked it? Answer is pretty clear IMO. How about the dealership fixing the car and then buying it from him at TOP DOLLAR! Then the dealership sells him a new vette at DEALER INVOICE. What do you think any dealer is going to offer for this wrecked vette? Draw the line my azz! This dealership is 100% in the wrong! They were told specifically NOT TO DRIVE IT! What part of that statement didn’t they understand? By ignoring those instructions makes them FULLY responsible to make him financially whole. Draw the line? Surely you jest! Any reputable dealership would make good on this one.

Exactly.

ask1ed 12-27-2006 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Flecker (Post 1558264875)
My thought is this;:toetap:
The visable damge can be repaired but who knows, what has this person done to the cars other componnents? IE: engine, suspension electronics all of that may be damaged but has not developed into a problem.All of this could be an un forseen breakdown in the future because of the actions of the employee's driving.:smash:
Get the help to sue for a new vechicle and then no worries!:nono: Do not settle for a repair, Ask yourself do I let my best friends drive my Vette?

HEY MR DEALER ! IF YOU DO READ THIS POST YOU SHOULD SETTLE WITH A NEW VETTE TODAY!!

He's reading all these posts.

catbert 12-27-2006 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by ask1ed (Post 1558266841)
He's reading and copying all these posts. He said his lawyer laughed at some of them. He had printed out copies of them and asked if my wife wanted to read them, and if she wanted to listen to some of my messages I left him on his answering machine.

His lawyer wouldn't be laughing if he seriously thought you'd take him to court. HE DOES NOT WANT THIS TO GO TO COURT. I worked in a courthouse a long time, and these cases almost never go well for the dealer - even in cases not as clear cut as yours. This lawyer main job is to keep the dealer out of court. Remember that.

ask1ed 12-27-2006 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by sjohnson2615 (Post 1558263205)
First of all,I would be very upset also.But the line has to be drawn somewhere.

If they repair the car to " as new" condition to make up for the screw up on their part and maybe a little cash concession for diminished value,I think that is more than fair.

If they give you a new car,that would be opening up a big can of worms.

What would you say if a C5 owner comes in for an oil change and the car accidentally gets a scratch down the side of the car while in the dealers possesion? The owner then says "This car was a lifelong dream for me and it only has 50000 miles and all the original paint.I won't accept a Corvette with non original paint,so just give me a new 07 and I will be happy"

A C4 owner comes in for a repair and his car gets the same damage and says the same,"My car only had 100,000 miles on it and that is low for an 84.I don't want non original shiny paint,I only want my original faded paint,and since you can't do that,I will just take that 07 over there"

Where do you draw the line?

They replaced the car as promised.

ask1ed 12-27-2006 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by catbert (Post 1558267071)
His lawyer wouldn't be laughing if he seriously thought you'd take him to court. HE DOES NOT WANT THIS TO GO TO COURT. I worked in a courthouse a long time, and these cases almost never go well for the dealer - even in cases not as clear cut as yours. This lawyer main job is to keep the dealer out of court. Remember that.

You been a member since 2000? That's a chunk of time. I love catbert. He's evil.

gearheaddroppings 12-27-2006 02:43 PM

The owner of this dealership and his/her legal staff are not thinking in their best business interests at this moment in time.

This post will go on for years just like the 4-post lift collapse from 2002. See http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...=lift+collapse

Never under-estimate the power of the internet as this thread will probably be read by 10,000 enthusiasts by March. The negative publicity for San Rafael Chevrolet will far outweigh the cost of a new Z06 in my opinion. Think about it, typing in San Rafael Chevrolet into Google within a few months will probably bring this thread to the top five results. Overall, a PR nightmare is about to unfold before their eyes.

As someone who makes working on the internet for a living, mark my words - San Rafael Chevrolet will be hearing about this case for years to come even if they give you what you want today. Currently, there are over 98,000 Corvette Forum links alone cached within Google. This one will be picked up within the next few days (Merry Christmas Threads for 2006 have already been picked up so the site is getting crawled daily) and I bet it starts working its way to the top in terms of relevance (ie "San Rafael Chevrolet Corvette") right away.

I am sorry to hear about your case. It just plain sucks and should have never happened.

175plus 12-27-2006 03:20 PM

They should fess up and fix it or replace it...Lets go there and RIOT!!!

mvcrash 12-27-2006 03:28 PM

Put a big sign on your car and park it in front of the dealership. See what that stirs.

"I brought my car in for an oil change and this is what their technician did to my car on a joy ride"