CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C7 Delivered yesterday has already been towed back to dealer (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3350365-c7-delivered-yesterday-has-already-been-towed-back-to-dealer.html)

VIN666 10-03-2013 04:06 PM

You are not making any sense. If this was an attempt at being humorous - it failed.

Mdm23 10-03-2013 04:39 PM

Diff fluid and axle fluid are the same thing.

VIN666 10-03-2013 04:40 PM

Oh boy... I think I´m done with this thread.
I tried, I really did.

jimmyb 10-03-2013 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by VIN666 (Post 1585081565)
Oh boy... I think I´m done with this thread.
I tried, I really did.

FWIW, I appreciated your explanation. Sadly, as one of the mods offered, too many folks jump to the last page of a thread and do "Ready, Fire, Aim".

Jimmy

adamsocb 10-03-2013 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by travisnd (Post 1585079155)
C5/C6/C7 all the same. Diff is attached directly to the tranny but they don't share fluid.

See this link and scroll down a bit - http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...alkaround.html

http://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/ch...101311_600.jpg

Thanks for the pic. This is the cut-away display I was refering to.

I did not have a chance to study it long enough to see the ESLD pump and clutch actuation fluid was a seperate sealed system. Also missed the description in the Edmunds write-up. My bad.

VIN666 10-03-2013 06:22 PM

Thanks you Jimmy.
It´s like talking to a bag of rocks around here most of the time...

Chevy Cust Svc 10-03-2013 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by callchuck (Post 1585067967)
One of my friends who took delivery yesterday of his C7 at Jim Ellis in Atlanta and has already had transmission failure. He has the 7 speed transmission. He was driving along 400 last night when he smelled smoke and the car was slowing down with a grinding noise. He pulled over and smoke was coming out of the rear end. When he pressed in the clutch there was a bad rattling noise coming from the rear end. Anyway, the car was towed back to dealer and he still does not know what is wrong with the car. He said the parking brake was not engaged and he drove it maybe 20 miles from dealer when the failure happened. His Vin 1872 never went to Nashville.

callchuck,

I hope everything is okay with your friend. You can always refer him to us if he needs assistance.

Erica Tiffany (Assisting Kelly)
Chevrolet Customer Care

shuki35 10-03-2013 06:42 PM

i owned new vetts from c2 to c7 never had any trouble lucky me

SnAkeDr 10-03-2013 08:13 PM

Just scanned the article and the following comes to mind...

Going forward, maybe there should be a extra sensor that detects low pressure or no fluid in the rear differential? If a fault code (low pressure or not enough fluid) is thrown the car is shutdown? Do most modern cars have this for cooling or oil?

If this exists already, maybe theirs a bug in the Corvette ECM system, which simply shuts the car down. If that's the case then it (the ecm) needs a firmware flash.

jkcam6017 10-04-2013 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by cwmobley (Post 1585070390)
I am the owner of the car in this thread.

Yes the differential was in the process of failing due to the lack of lubrication. However Corvette and Jim Ellis are all over this problem. The car was delivered about 10 PM last evening and driven about 15 miles to home. I immediately called my salesperson, Reggie Stagmaier, and notified him of the problem. The car was picked up at 9 AM at my convenience today and I was notified of the cause at 11 AM and was told that a new diff was to be installed on Thursday.

How about an update on the install of the new diff? Thanks.

cwmobley 10-04-2013 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by jkcam6017 (Post 1585087766)
How about an update on the install of the new diff? Thanks.

My C7 is the car that was delivered less the lubrication added to the diff. The new replacement diff arrived at the dealer on Thursday but it was noted by the mechanic that a replacement gasket located between the transmission and the differential was also needed. It arrived this morning. I visited the dealer about 1:30 today and was advised that the car would be available after 4:30 PM.

CaptainChet 10-04-2013 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by cwmobley (Post 1585089697)
My C7 is the car that was delivered less the lubrication added to the diff. The new replacement diff arrived at the dealer on Thursday but it was noted by the mechanic that a replacement gasket located between the transmission and the differential was also needed. It arrived this morning. I visited the dealer about 1:30 today and was advised that the car would be available after 4:30 PM.

Are you going to bring it to Caffeine and Octane Sunday????

My wife works for JE (Porsche) and I own a C6 and know all the folks over there. They do care in service, and I missed seeing your car by minutes!

Probably the last issues you will ever have! That's how it works usually.

Congrats on the new C7

Cruiter 10-04-2013 04:02 PM

Thanks for the update. When I was there Wednesday morning, I was very impressed with the efforts Reggie and Mark Frost were making to get things working quickly with GM. They did, and GM did, and your updated post indicates you should make the Caffeine and Octane meeting :thumbs:. You'll have an interesting tale to share for sure :D. I should be there next month with mine, it's at event code 3400 still this morning. Maybe she'll pop out of the birthing facility next week :D.

senah 10-04-2013 04:23 PM

i have no knowledge of the mechanical makeup of the c7 differential, but it appears that some who have posted on this thread are saying that if the associated car is a z51, it has an electronically controlled differential that, if my understanding is correct, has 2 types of fluid; 1 that controls and lubricates (possibly some pressure involved too) the parts associated with the electronic limited slip control and another that lubes the basic differential. apparently, the light in the dash is for the electronic control fluid, but does not come on if the basic differential fluid is low. (this is just a guess based on what i have read here)

one thing is evident here, and that is that this is not a problem with the design and manufacture of the differential. it was a failure caused by lack of lubrication. so first year production problems don't apply here. it was a one in a million error that caused the car to be delivered without differential lubrication.

ParisTNDude 10-04-2013 04:32 PM

OP...sorry to hear of your problem. I feel very confident that you'll have your new car back in minimal time "good as new".

In all of my new car buying experiences, I had only one incident, that being a leaking rear main seal on my first ever new vehicle, a 66 Chevelle SS that took 4 days to fix. It was like double death waiting for the call to come get it. You will likely never experience another failure of any kind and your experience may prevent someone else's problem. Keep us posted on the fix.

jkcam6017 10-04-2013 04:59 PM

I visited the dealer about 1:30 today and was advised that the car would be available after 4:30 PM.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like this episode is quickly going to be in your rear view mirror (or camera). Enjoy you beautiful new car in good health.

QwikC 10-04-2013 05:00 PM

A Perspective

Hmm, perhaps the transmission glitch isn't so bad considering...