CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Overhaulin (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/1501407-overhaulin.html)

Ricks94vette 09-17-2006 11:16 AM

Overhaulin

The Learning Channel will be showing an episode of my buddy's conversion of his '57 corvette on Sept. 19. Check your listings for the time. Yes, the OVERHAILIN gang stole his corvette (with the help of his wife) and what a surprize he had when he learned the truth.

Grey Ghost 09-17-2006 11:41 AM

:thumbs:

crw41 09-17-2006 12:20 PM

I bet most guys, with the exception of rough NOM cars, wouldn't want their car "overhauled" (unless they threw in the Overhaulin chick with the final product). :smiliedrool:

knight37128 09-17-2006 06:13 PM

I can see it now.

Reason for divorce : "overhauled"

Well your honor my wife (the B@%&#) stole my car, jerked me around for a week, and this is what they did to my 1957 corvette. It's just unforgivable.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

toddalin 09-17-2006 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ricks94vette
The Learning Channel will be showing an episode of my buddy's conversion of his '57 corvette on Sept. 19. Check your listings for the time. Yes, the OVERHAILIN gang stole his corvette (with the help of his wife) and what a surprize he had when he learned the truth.

:toetap: :toetap: :toetap:

Some people just can't keep a secret. You weren't supposed to reveal ANYTHING about the car until after it aired!:nono: :mad: :beatdeadhorse:

Now they'll have to come and reposses it and won't your friend be POed!

61rand 09-17-2006 09:50 PM

TLC has had the general details about the episode listed on their site for a while:

TLC — Overhaulin'
Roadies Stole My 'Vette!

The 1957 Corvette has been in Carl's family for 46 years. But Carl and his wife are too busy with their family and business. Meanwhile, the Corvette sits in the garage, waiting for the time and money that will one day restore it to its original "coo
tv :: g
cc :: unavailable

I'll be tunning in. :thumbs: :lurk:

66jack 09-17-2006 10:03 PM

I would sue the hello out of them if they touched my car...

i would make them put it back the way they found it to my satisfaction and not some dum lawyer....

jack

Cruzmeisters 09-17-2006 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by 66jack
I would sue the hello out of them if they touched my car...

i would make them put it back the way they found it to my satisfaction and not some dum lawyer....

jack

...if it's the one in your AVATAR...???

66jack 09-18-2006 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cruzmeisters
...if it's the one in your AVATAR...???

yup just like it sets....:D

now be nice...im just getting started on it...the frame is done/engine/trans...etc.

jack

Johns_65Vette 09-18-2006 03:19 PM

First thing I would do is call Hagerty for a claim. Wouldn't that be something if they sent me a check for 40K, and then I got my car back "Overhauled":D

To be honest I like Chips designs, but that's just my opinion.;)

tigernut 09-18-2006 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Johns_65Vette
To be honest I like Chips designs, but that's just my opinion.;)

Same here.

There are enough "as delivered" factory originals around to bore me to tears.

Doug

toddalin 09-18-2006 04:19 PM

Now that the cat is out of the bag, except for the steering wheel and matching engine trim (you'll see), the '57 is very nice and the brakes are to die for.

Seaside63 09-19-2006 02:56 AM

Why doesn't Chip Foose get off his ass and go design a whole new car from the ground up to save GM or Ford?

The industry needs some new blood. It surely is rotting from the inside out as it is. We need some fresh stuff and Foose is just the guy to bring it.

How about it Chip?

Tom/99 09-19-2006 07:23 AM

They can do mine.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...9/f2907798.jpg

Johns_65Vette 09-19-2006 10:41 AM

After what I saw on mine last night with the bodywork, i want him to do mine:eek: What I thought were stress cracks, was actually bondo cracks, from being 1/4" thick. :ack: :eek:

Army Vette 09-19-2006 11:06 AM

That episode is on tonight - the Tivo is set.
I watched a '63 get overhauled and it.....well.....sadly was more pimped than anything else, but it was better, I guess, than how it started out - a wreck.
Looking foward to seeing the look on his face when he hears it was stolen.

kenmo 09-19-2006 11:57 AM

Thanks for the headsup - sure miss Courtney....

kbuhagiar 09-19-2006 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by kenmo
Thanks for the headsup - sure miss Courtney....

Courtney can be seen on Spike TV's PowerBlock on Saturday afternoons - she replaced Danica Patrick as hostess.:flag:

kenEDMUNDS 09-19-2006 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Seaside63
Why doesn't Chip Foose get off his ass and go design a whole new car from the ground up to save GM or Ford?

The industry needs some new blood. It surely is rotting from the inside out as it is. We need some fresh stuff and Foose is just the guy to bring it.

How about it Chip?

He already did that for Chrysler-the Prowler came directly from his drawings when he was a design school student.

toddalin 09-19-2006 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Army Vette
That episode is on tonight - the Tivo is set.
I watched a '63 get overhauled and it.....well.....sadly was more pimped than anything else, but it was better, I guess, than how it started out - a wreck.
Looking foward to seeing the look on his face when he hears it was stolen.

It's a '64. They glassed in the vents behind the windows ala '63. I snapped these the other day when visiting Steve (and my '64 in for paint).

BTW, the brakes on the '57 are far better than on the '64 (due to the power booster) and Steve says that the seat belt feels like it will cut you in half!

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eima...rhaulin641.jpg

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eima...rhaulin642.jpg

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eima...rhaulin643.jpg

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eima...rhaulin644.jpg

Seaside63 09-19-2006 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by kenEDMUNDS
He already did that for Chrysler-the Prowler came directly from his drawings when he was a design school student.

Wow, sweet. Now that's what I'm talking about.

But we need an industry saving vehicle. Something to strip the sales crown from the Camry.

kbuhagiar 09-19-2006 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Seaside63
Wow, sweet. Now that's what I'm talking about.

But we need an industry saving vehicle. Something to strip the sales crown from the Camry.

I love most of Chip Foose's work; I never knew that he had anything to do with the Prowler. I never could understand the appeal of the Prowler; frankly, I think it is one of the ugliest things to come out of Detroit in the last 20 years.:ack:

Just my 2 cents...:flag:

Blk63Vette 09-19-2006 03:11 PM

Chip Foose Fan

Hello

I remenber seeing the show ""Rides" where Chip Foose built a ragtop car from scratch for a Detroit auto show...

I think its nice of him to take someones car and make it into their dream car...I seen alot of shows the cars are nothing more than driveable "basket case"

I remenber seeing that show featuring the 1964 Corvette. This car was not in good shape and it would be considered a "basket case" in my opnion..Plus they were going to save the engine when found out the engine was "toast"...

So, I like to see the Overhauling team fix up the "old cars" and bring happiness in their lives!!!

I cant recall a show on "American Hot Rod" where Boyd C. fixes up old car for "free"???

just my .02:thumbs:

Grey Ghost 09-19-2006 10:12 PM

I think it turned out great ! The body was in very bad shape. I don't think they went into much detail. But, sounds like they had to switch out the frame and some chassis parts...it must have been in pretty bad shape from the wrecks.

STING67RAY 09-20-2006 07:48 AM

great episode, looked like they put a richmond o/d tranny in it also.
didn't care for the last minute tubbing of it though.
overall, overhaulin did a great job. :thumbs:

Blk63Vette 09-20-2006 07:54 AM

Hello

I think that 1957 Corvette was in "very poor condition" They had to take suspension parts off another 1957 frame...

Looked like the car was driven hard and put away very very "wet"

I think the Overhaulin team did a hell of a job on that Corvette considering it needed over 400 hrs of body work!!!!!:eek:

I thought it looked GREAT...

I love the carbs on that Corvette...

JDHall 09-20-2006 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Blk63Vette

I cant recall a show on "American Hot Rod" where Boyd C. fixes up old car for "free"???

just my .02:thumbs:

I've never seen Boyd C fix anything.:lol:

Johns_65Vette 09-20-2006 08:10 AM

:iagree: Car looked awesome in that color:cool:

bluestreak63 09-20-2006 08:41 AM

Did anyone else notice they swapped the intake from triple dueces to a double quad setup? I wonder what happened?

Pierre 09-20-2006 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
Did anyone else notice they swapped the intake from triple dueces to a double quad setup? I wonder what happened?

I think they swapped the whole engine. The engine that ended up in the car was a regular small block. The Edelbrock crate engine that was shown previously had four exhaust ports spaced evenly.. maybe a gen III motor that they couldn’t fit??

Pierre

Plastic Pig 09-20-2006 08:59 AM

I got the feeling that they used the parts off the other chassis to save time and be able to send parts out to be powder coated while the car was in the paint shop. I don't recall them saying anything about the frame or suspension being in bad shape.

That was one of the better shows.

Why someone would do that to a '57 is beyond me though.:willy:

62Jeff 09-20-2006 09:09 AM

Why did the alleged spare 57 chassis appear to have a blue flame in it? Wonder if it was really a 54 chassis?

DZAUTO 09-20-2006 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Why did the alleged spare 57 chassis appear to have a blue flame in it? Wonder if it was really a 54 chassis?

I didn't know the show was on, or, that they would be "overhaulin" a 57 Vette. My son had the show on and of course I suddenly became interested in it.
Overall, for the most part, I thought the finished version looked great. :yesnod: the upgrade to the brakes, tranny, tunes was nice (but I'm not doing that to my 56).
The reason for responding to the quote above is because the 57 (when "stolen") didn't have any exhaust chrome. When finished, it had 53-55 style chrome on the rear quarters. Anyone notice that??? So, I'm wondering if there was any relation between the 54 chassis and the 53-55 rear chrome, was there maybe more than just chassis parts that were transferred from another car (the show had been on about 10min before I started watching it)? :)

62Jeff 09-20-2006 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
I didn't know the show was on, or, that they would be "overhaulin" a 57 Vette. My son had the show on and of course I suddenly became interested in it.
Overall, for the most part, I thought the finished version looked great. :yesnod: the upgrade to the brakes, tranny, tunes was nice (but I'm not doing that to my 56).
The reason for responding to the quote above is because the 57 (when "stolen") didn't have any exhaust chrome. When finished, it had 53-55 style chrome on the rear quarters. Anyone notice that??? So, I'm wondering if there was any relation between the 54 chassis and the 53-55 rear chrome, was there maybe more than just chassis parts that were transferred from another car (the show had been on about 10min before I started watching it)? :)

I noticed the rear end chrome was different but didn't pay attention to the differences. On the chassis, the claim was that Chip had a spare 57 chassis in the shop which they used for front suspension parts. But I do wonder what the reality of this reality tv show was with regard to that spare chassis.

Grey Ghost 09-20-2006 10:03 AM

I thought that first motor was a 3x2. Then I thought I must have been mistaken when they showed the dual quad setup. I wonder if it was something to do with hood clearance. I also noticed the inline 6 in the donor chassis. I think the exhaust was just a Foose modification. He also changed the front turn signals.

I also thought they said 450 hours of body/paint work. My question is how do they get that number in 3 or 4 days of work ? 1957 really looks cool with the hardtop. Wish they would have shown that.

kenmo 09-20-2006 10:09 AM

I liked the finished 57..BUT "what if" some owner did not...???

Maybe they always envisioned their 57 with the pro-street look??? I can't believe the owner is not aware their car is going to be overhauled....

That said, IF my 60 was overhauled and looked somewhat like that 57, I would be in heaven....

I still miss Courtney though....

jimh_1962 09-20-2006 10:17 AM

I thought the paint and the body work looked great. I was not impressed with the lack of the license plate frame on the car. I thought my bodywork was going to be extensive this car was in about the same shape if not worse.

I did not like tubbing the rearend. Plus, not information on what they did with the brakes and driveline. I can see they did not use the stock drums and such. It would have been nice to know more about the suspension.

bweaver999 09-20-2006 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost
I also thought they said 450 hours of body/paint work. My question is how do they get that number in 3 or 4 days of work ? 1957 really looks cool with the hardtop. Wish they would have shown that.

Man hours. I thought they did a nice job on it. I assume it did not have the original engine in it. Have seen them re-build when it does.

hogan64 09-20-2006 10:48 AM

I liked the car !!

Was it me or did they media blast the crap out of that car? It looked to me like they had to repair the damage caused by the blaster. Who knows...I'm no expert...

They should have kept the Sheepskin seats :lol:

Ted

sixt1vette 09-20-2006 11:19 AM

Compared to some of the other overhauling projects, I thought this one went great. I think his team does great work and works better together than does Boyd's. I'm not always a fan of the aesthetics of Chip's builds, but the work looks good.

I'm glad it wasn't just me that wondered what happened to the three duece set-up that they started the program with.

Re the posts in this forum about the rear chrome, I'd have to wonder if when Chip moved the exhaust pipes down lower in the tail if that didn't cause the change.

knight37128 09-20-2006 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost
I also thought they said 450 hours of body/paint work. My question is how do they get that number in 3 or 4 days of work ?

Twenty people. Two working and eighteen standing around; just like a government job.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If you touched the car it counts as hours of body work. Look at how many tore it apart. 100 hours right there.

Makes it more dramatic.

toddalin 09-20-2006 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by sixt1vette
Compared to some of the other overhauling projects, I thought this one went great. I think his team does great work and works better together than does Boyd's. I'm not always a fan of the aesthetics of Chip's builds, but the work looks good.

I'm glad it wasn't just me that wondered what happened to the three duece set-up that they started the program with.

Re the posts in this forum about the rear chrome, I'd have to wonder if when Chip moved the exhaust pipes down lower in the tail if that didn't cause the change.

I didn't see the show last night, but have been all over, and under, that car by now.

Any rear exhaust you saw on the show was a mock up. I visited the car last Thursday and it still only had the exhaust back to the mufflers. Steve was still trying to figure out how the exhaust would actually be routed because the 2-1/2" system was too big to go through the bezels.

Also, the brakes weren't done until 2 weeks ago. The wheels you saw had their centers tacked in place and the offsets had not been set pending the brakes. When Steve set the offset, they had the wheels welded and the welder burned the finish. This required that they then polish the wheels to remove the burn marks. (Steve showed me the burn on the backs.) I saw them up close both ways, and they look better now being polished.

BTW, Steve swore he would never do another Overhaulin' car. But with 2 days left on the build, and no way they were going to finish, they were able to "convince" him to finish it off.

mikem350 09-20-2006 02:02 PM

Ah, the magic of television!!!

It makes sense that to FINISH a total restoration will take more than a week, especially when custom fabrication is involved!!!

Now we know why most of the Overhaulin cars are not actually seen being driven....

They should finish the hardtop!!!

jimh_1962 09-20-2006 02:56 PM

Ahh, now I get it...

Jim Dillon 09-20-2006 05:16 PM

I watched the show last night due to the prior notice on the forum here and I thought the crew did a good job. I liked the car and especially the colors although I may need sunglasses when looking at the steering wheel. It seems to me that the whole concept of the show has become a tad stale. I am not Foose's biggest fan although there is no denying that he certainly has talent in a number of areas.There are a few individuals whose talents are being overlooked in some of his work (Marc and Luc and Marcel Delay in his metalworking projects and Riddler winners, to name a few). I question the quality of a "overhaul" that takes place in a week with all of the solvents that have not really had time to evaporate. I know that much of the substrates are chemically activated and also heat dried but there still is a certain amount of evaporation I would assume that should take place prior to final coats and polishing etc. Also when people go out to my home-shop to see what I am working on my wife likes to point out how ungodly slow my progress is especially when compared to "Overhaulin". I gave up trying to explain to her that with the large crew and the man hours that those guys are logging, I am getting my work done in a reasonable time with a lot less drama.-Jim

KyleDallas 09-20-2006 06:02 PM

Alot of the Cigarette Offshore Boats have the exhaust exiting
through the fiberglass transom...
There might be some prefab boat pieces that could be used to
make the exhaust functional.... perhaps ceramic coated to keep
the exhaust heat in the pipe and easy on the freshly painted vetteglass.. I know Gil Exhaust makes some transom exhaust pieces.

1. One man- Hood
2. One man- Right fender
3. One man- Left fender
4. One man- Right door
5. One man- Left door
6. One man- Right Quarter
7. One man- Left Quarter
8. One man- Trunk Section
9. One man- Disassembly/Assembly and Chrome
10. One man- Floater/Troubleshooter-Parts Coordination-Painter

10 men X 15 hours per day X 3 days.... 450 man hours..
or go 15 men X 10 hours..3 days..

And I've still left out Roof... Glass man.. and all the Misc things
that eat up time and surprise you... what if the floor is bad?..
what if the firewall is chewed up?... what if a bracket breaks??
Frame painting??? Frame Plumbing?? New Driveshaft with Eng
Swap?? etc. etc..

The tv shots of car work are often of 4 or 5 guys... but then
you see 30 or 40 guys sometimes on the reveal...

If you had 3 or 4 days to get a car ready for paint that you
knew very little about.... wouldn't you have enough experienced
bodymen on hand to get it covered??
I don't doubt the 450 man hour claim...

jonglazer 09-20-2006 06:16 PM

Too much drama

I liked the end product - thought the color was very sharp.

I tend not to watch Overhaulin anymore (along with American Hotrod) - too much of a focus on the drama, not enough focus on the cars and how problems are solved.

TLC - seems like the Learning aspect is taking a back seat.

- Jon

firstgear 09-20-2006 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by toddalin
I didn't see the show last night, but have been all over, and under, that car by now.

Any rear exhaust you saw on the show was a mock up. I visited the car last Thursday and it still only had the exhaust back to the mufflers. Steve was still trying to figure out how the exhaust would actually be routed because the 2-1/2" system was too big to go through the bezels.

Also, the brakes weren't done until 2 weeks ago. The wheels you saw had their centers tacked in place and the offsets had not been set pending the brakes. When Steve set the offset, they had the wheels welded and the welder burned the finish. This required that they then polish the wheels to remove the burn marks. (Steve showed me the burn on the backs.) I saw them up close both ways, and they look better now being polished.

BTW, Steve swore he would never do another Overhaulin' car. But with 2 days left on the build, and no way they were going to finish, they were able to "convince" him to finish it off.

sorry...I watched the show....but don't know who Steve is....that isnt the owner is it? I am confused.....

John McGraw 09-20-2006 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Duntov-097
I got the feeling that they used the parts off the other chassis to save time and be able to send parts out to be powder coated while the car was in the paint shop. I don't recall them saying anything about the frame or suspension being in bad shape.

That was one of the better shows.

Why someone would do that to a '57 is beyond me though.:willy:

Ya know, some people just don't have respect for a classic!:lol:

Regards, John McGraw

Plastic Pig 09-20-2006 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Ya know, some people just don't have respect for a classic!:lol:

Regards, John McGraw

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:cheers:

jrs 427 09-20-2006 10:52 PM

I like alot of Chips ideas ..... but when it comes to vintage corvettes I can't see moving signal lamps, cutting out the quarters or any other modifications to the original glass. Come to think about it... did they eliminate the fake fender air ducts ? I don't recall seeing them in the end. Where did the 2x4 manifold come from ? They showed 3x2 setup with the crate engine. That dark blue color belongs on a Cobalt.

SPLITRAY 09-20-2006 11:56 PM

You Know... The first thing Chip asked was "Do you know if the engine/trans was original", and the lady responded that she didn't believe so as his dad raced the car. I think Chip would have tried to honor the car as much as possible if it maintained any originality.

After they stripped the body, it also showed damage on all four corners, (it was in bad shape). Even if they brought the thing back to original, I think very few here, and no one at NCRS would even have considered purchasing the car given the opportunity, having known the hit record. :leaving:

I think that car was ripe for a resto mod or even more. :smash:

jimh_1962 09-21-2006 10:07 AM

Do you think the son will be driving the car more often than before letting it sit and rot?

I am sure at the time his dad owned the car and thought about selling it. He probably told his dad to keep it for him when he gets older. His dad did and it sat for years. I am sure there are other reasons...

Thats the problem with a lot of these cars (lack of driving and keeping it up). I would like to see a reunion like the brady bunch reunion with all of the overhauln cars in about 10-15 years. Lets see if any of them go back to the previous conditions.

Not trying to be negative...

toddalin 09-21-2006 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by firstgear
sorry...I watched the show....but don't know who Steve is....that isnt the owner is it? I am confused.....

Steve LuVisi at Automotive Expertise in Huntington Beach. He did the Overhaulin' '64 and they called him in to finish the '57 when they knew that they were in way over their heads. At this point, he's done over 125 body-off restorations. The '64 on Overhaulin' was his 100th!

Steve is among the best, and most honest mechanics you could ever find. No one else (other than me) touches my Corvettes.

He is knowlegable in NCRS and used to work for GM making Camaros and Firebirds in the old Van Nuys plant.

And he has a nice collection of Vettes including an NCRS Top Flight '68 L88 roadster, and a really nice '65 Fuelie roadster.

Not only is he a great mechanic, he lets me use his blaster and tools doesn't get mad when I break them.:toetap:

As a mechanic, Steve charges by the hour, as opposed to the book, and has found ways to knock counless hours off what the book says. I can't tell you how much stuff he's fixed for me at no charge (even things like rewelding my kitchen chairs), and helped me with custom fabrication (like a set of "traction devises" I came up with for Vettes).

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eima...rhaulin641.jpg

Johns_65Vette 09-21-2006 12:36 PM

Todd, sounds like I need to become your friend, so Steve can also become my friend:rofl: :rofl:

comp 09-21-2006 04:15 PM

Carls vette ????

RoadVettes 09-21-2006 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by mgsouthard
You Know... The first thing Chip asked was "Do you know if the engine/trans was original", and the lady responded that she didn't believe so as his dad raced the car. I think Chip would have tried to honor the car as much as possible if it maintained any originality.

After they stripped the body, it also showed damage on all four corners, (it was in bad shape). Even if they brought the thing back to original, I think very few here, and no one at NCRS would even have considered purchasing the car given the opportunity, having known the hit record. :leaving:

:iagree: I like the way it came out. :thumbs:

comp 09-21-2006 04:28 PM

so is it a 57 ,,guys name Carl ?

comp 09-21-2006 04:54 PM

400 man hour's before it went into the booth :eek:

Troy.Blackburn 09-21-2006 11:01 PM

I still miss Courtney though....

:ack: I'm not suggesting your opinion is any less valuable than anyone else... I however am glad that Courtney is gone. Now I just wish she would leave the Spike TV Powerblock. Just my .02

Troy

Troy.Blackburn 09-21-2006 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by jonglazer
I tend not to watch Overhaulin anymore (along with American Hotrod) - too much of a focus on the drama, not enough focus on the cars and how problems are solved.

I still watch both, however I'm loosing interest in American Hot Rod fast. I agree... too much focus on drama with both shows, however American Hot Rod seems that the drama is always about infighting an "impossible" deadlines. If the show is any reflection of how it really is to work for Boyd, then that would be a miserable place to work. And based on the people that used to work for Boyd and went to Chip.....

Troy

comp 09-22-2006 12:39 AM

So did in see the right show ???????

Plastic Pig 09-22-2006 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by comp
So did in see the right show ???????

I see don't know I ?????

ctjackster 09-22-2006 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Troy.Blackburn
:ack: I'm not suggesting your opinion is any less valuable than anyone else... I however am glad that Courtney is gone. Now I just wish she would leave the Spike TV Powerblock. Just my .02

Troy

as for me, I can't stand the fake drama on these shows (is the "deadline fast approaching" plot line ever going away from these restoration dramas?) and as for Overhaulin, the time spent on the "your car got stolen" bit is a major waste.

Courtney was the only reason I would watch this fake drama )ok, when they do a vette I tune in too), and she was a pretty cool chick at that, she was raised around these cars, her dad raced SCCA and her family had some ownership with Brainerd. Now that she is gone I don't even stop on the show when clickin through . . .

http://www.courtneyhansen.com/images/FHMlg2.jpg

SebringBill 09-22-2006 11:20 PM

The original pictures (and before and after shots) show no rear exhaust outlets in the body; they were probably closed up years ago when Dad was racing. I thought it was pretty nifty for Chip to take that 57 rear and throw a lot of 53-5 in it. Same with the front. The color combo looked spectacular to me (even if the white/silver was the original combo of my 57!). I was also curious as to why the 3x2 setup morphed into a 2x4 and (since I taped it) stopped the tape to show my wife that a "57" chassis with a 6-banger didn't sound right to me. My theory is the spare chassis was a 54 and that's possibly where some of Chip's ideas and parts came from.

I like Chip's work. "American Hot Rod" is a study in complaints and pissin and moanin; I'd never even take YOUR rusty bumpers to Boyd's shop! :eek:

Mark_Milner 09-23-2006 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Dillon
Also when people go out to my home-shop to see what I am working on my wife likes to point out how ungodly slow my progress is especially when compared to "Overhaulin". I gave up trying to explain to her that with the large crew and the man hours that those guys are logging, I am getting my work done in a reasonable time with a lot less drama.-Jim

I second that! I also like to remind the other half that when she is complaining it takes six weeks for me to do one thing that I got to work 1 hour every two weeks on it.

If I got 40 hours a week, it would be a lot faster. Maybe.

I took a few vacation days once on a car to get a bunch done. I bet I was lucky to get 5 hours of work in on it in three days. Amazing how "other things" kept coming up.

Johns_65Vette 09-23-2006 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mark_Milner
I took a few vacation days once on a car to get a bunch done. I bet I was lucky to get 5 hours of work in on it in three days. Amazing how "other things" kept coming up.

:iagree: Well, honey since your off could you do this for me......:rolleyes:

kenmo 09-23-2006 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by ctjackster
as for me, I can't stand the fake drama on these shows (is the "deadline fast approaching" plot line ever going away from these restoration dramas?) and as for Overhaulin, the time spent on the "your car got stolen" bit is a major waste.

Courtney was the only reason I would watch this fake drama )ok, when they do a vette I tune in too), and she was a pretty cool chick at that, she was raised around these cars, her dad raced SCCA and her family had some ownership with Brainerd. Now that she is gone I don't even stop on the show when clickin through . . .

http://www.courtneyhansen.com/images/FHMlg2.jpg

Wowzer....!!!!

Johns_65Vette 09-23-2006 11:13 AM

UH HUH!!!! Kinda makes me wanna http://www.websmileys.com/sm/animal/1134.gif:rofl: :rofl:

comp 09-23-2006 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Johns_65Vette
UH HUH!!!! Kinda makes me wanna http://www.websmileys.com/sm/animal/1134.gif:rofl: :rofl:

:yesnod:

comp 09-23-2006 11:45 AM

I see don't know I ?????

:lol: :lol:

bogus 09-25-2006 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by jonglazer
I liked the end product - thought the color was very sharp.

TLC - seems like the Learning aspect is taking a back seat.

- Jon

I just watched the episode... I agree, the Learning part has been regulated to the back seat.

I enjoy the show enough, but they are constantly marketing the show throughout with these inane little quotes "you are about to be overhauled" or "this is for you, _____!" It's ignorant.

Carl seems like a great guy, and the car looked fabulous, I just wish they had removed 10 minutes of the repetitive filler with 10 minutes on how they fixed the body. My, that woulda been useful.

I do like the colour combo, that true blue on silver looks HOT.

al329 09-25-2006 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Troy.Blackburn
I still watch both, however I'm loosing interest in American Hot Rod fast. I agree... too much focus on drama with both shows, however American Hot Rod seems that the drama is always about infighting an "impossible" deadlines. If the show is any reflection of how it really is to work for Boyd, then that would be a miserable place to work. And based on the people that used to work for Boyd and went to Chip.....

Troy

:iagree:

I wonder if the shows producers set up these "impossible" deadlines for the drama. I mean if it your car... would you rather have it on time or done right?

Loren Smith 09-26-2006 12:20 AM

Here's a link to a gallery of photos showing the build:

http://overhaulin.com/gallery.asp?St...et=1&target=67

OldDog58Vette 09-26-2006 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Loren59
Here's a link to a gallery of photos showing the build:

http://overhaulin.com/gallery.asp?St...et=1&target=67

Thanks! I like the color combo!:thumbs:

BarryK 09-26-2006 06:16 AM

something has been bothering me about the '57 they did.
Granted, I think it looked great and I love the colors Chip chose but towards the end they showed where they had to cut out the rear inner fenders to clearance the rear wheel/tires they used.
If they choose a wheel that was so wide that it required tubbing the rear inner fenders/fiberglass body wouldn't that also have caused interference with the entire rear suspension?
i was at my painters shop the other day and he has 2 '57's in the shop right now he is working on so I looked under the cars to check this out and I can't see there being enough clearance room to allow a wider wheel that would require tubbing the body without also reconfiguring the rear suspension or am I missing something here??
This change on the wheels and therefore the body tubbing was a "last minute" change so when did they have time to change the rear suspension and nothing was ever mentioned about it.

firstgear 09-26-2006 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by BarryK
something has been bothering me about the '57 they did.
Granted, I think it looked great and I love the colors Chip chose but towards the end they showed where they had to cut out the rear inner fenders to clearance the rear wheel/tires they used.
If they choose a wheel that was so wide that it required tubbing the rear inner fenders/fiberglass body wouldn't that also have caused interference with the entire rear suspension?
i was at my painters shop the other day and he has 2 '57's in the shop right now he is working on so I looked under the cars to check this out and I can't see there being enough clearance room to allow a wider wheel that would require tubbing the body without also reconfiguring the rear suspension or am I missing something here??
This change on the wheels and therefore the body tubbing was a "last minute" change so when did they have time to change the rear suspension and nothing was ever mentioned about it.

the top of the body overhands the side of the frame by at least 1.5 inches. In my case, I wanted to go with a bigger tire. it means a light tub job just like they did on the show. remember they can play with back spacing right up until the tire starts to rub someplace and that someplace will be the side of the inner body.

Wider tires can be put on if you want to adjust the frame and then also adjust the body even more, but there is a point after 1-2 inches of moving the wheel well in that you will not be able to use the soft top as it retracts in to the area as well.

http://images16.fotki.com/v280/photo...MG_5288-vi.jpg

BarryK 09-26-2006 08:17 AM

Herb
that pic helps explain somewhat on the body/frame relationship, but what about the stock suspension componets - that's what I was looking at while I was at my painters shop.It just didn't look as if you could bring a wider wheel in that far that would require tubbing the body and not hit the suspension or leafspring unless I just wasn't looking at it right.

Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith 09-26-2006 11:02 AM

Overlaulin'

Man, what a thread! As long as it was, I read every one post. Loved the short photo gallery, wish there were more detailed shots of the mods.
Like others, I'm very disapointed at these shows in that they are not more towards us gear heads instead of the 'soap' crowd. Seems we just can't get a REAL car show no matter who does it. Too many bubble heads (both male and female) and not enough of the star...the cars! Can't Steve find out about the 3X2 vs 2X4 thing? We all saw it but no one has explained the motor change, not that it really matters.
Like many others, I've often commented to my wife about the curing time that's lacking in these builds. I too, would like to see some of these cars a year or more later! Bet a lot of that 'rush' work came back to bit the owner in the butt. All that free work and parts would be great, but nix on that quickie body repairs & paint job. :skep: :nonod: Glenn

Johns_65Vette 09-26-2006 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith
Man, what a thread! As long as it was, I read every one post. Loved the short photo gallery, wish there were more detailed shots of the mods.
Like others, I'm very disapointed at these shows in that they are not more towards us gear heads instead of the 'soap' crowd. Seems we just can't get a REAL car show no matter who does it. Too many bubble heads (both male and female) and not enough of the star...the cars! Can't Steve find out about the 3X2 vs 2X4 thing? We all saw it but no one has explained the motor change, not that it really matters.
Like many others, I've often commented to my wife about the curing time that's lacking in these builds. I too, would like to see some of these cars a year or more later! Bet a lot of that 'rush' work came back to bit the owner in the butt. All that free work and parts would be great, but nix on that quickie body repairs & paint job. :skep: :nonod: Glenn

:withstupid: :rofl: Of course those paint shops probably have heated booths to help them out with curing.

Blk63Vette 09-26-2006 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by mgsouthard

:iagree:

Before you beat up Foose too bad. Look a the condition of that car BEFORE they began...All rights this car was a rolling basket case...The car didnt even run...

I dont think restoration for this car was thinkable...It had after market wheels and was not a solid "original" car..

I say the guy is lucky to have Chip work on it...This car would have sat in the garage for another 12 years...:eek:

al329 09-26-2006 01:07 PM

True the car did not even run. And I find that funny since the shows rules say...

"The car MUST be in running condition. "

http://www.overhaulin.com/overhaulme.asp

This is what gets me.

"Improvements to the car generate tax obligations for the owner of the car."

Now if I didnt have the money to fix up my car in the first place...where am I gonna come up with the money to pay off the tax man? :eek:

How much do you think all the work/parts on an overhaul car come out to?

Johns_65Vette 09-26-2006 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by al329

Now if I didnt have the money to fix up my car in the first place...where am I gonna come up with the money to pay off the tax man? :eek:

That's ok...with the price of Southern California real estate, he could just pay the tax with a Heloc, or second mortgage:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Then he would actually have a tax write off:leaving:

ctjackster 09-26-2006 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by al329

This is what gets me.

Under the tax code, pretty much anything good that comes your way is treated as income (and I mean anything, like you found a trunk full of money buired in your back yard), and thus subject to income tax - you don't owe the tax man the entire value of the Overhaulin job on your car, but since you were "given" that work it will be includable in the "income" line that year and income tax will be calculated. If your car got overhauled, hope they estimate it low for you.

try winning a really expensive car in a raffle and see what happens (I have 20 tickets for the Ford GT Ronnie Mac house raffle this year, if I win it they are obligated to collect tax on the estimated value of the car before I can take it, using some crazy high rate.)

knight37128 09-26-2006 09:48 PM

Under the tax code, pretty much anything good that comes your way is treated as income (and I mean anything, like you found a trunk full of money buired in your back yard), and thus subject to income tax - you don't owe the tax man the entire value of the Overhaulin job on your car, but since you were "given" that work it will be includable in the "income" line that year and income tax will be calculated. If your car got overhauled, hope they estimate it low for you.

try winning a really expensive car in a raffle and see what happens (I have 20 tickets for the Ford GT Ronnie Mac house raffle this year, if I win it they are obligated to collect tax on the estimated value of the car before I can take it, using some crazy high rate.)

I blame lawyers for this.:rofl: :rofl:

Plastic Pig 09-26-2006 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by knight37128

:withstupid: :toetap: :toetap: :toetap:

vettebuyer6369 09-26-2006 10:09 PM

If you have a junker car and someone GIVES you $30-40k (or more) or so worth of custom restoration, paint, interior and stereo... what's so hard to understand about owing tax on it?

Ever hear of the lottery?

Plastic Pig 09-26-2006 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5863
If you have a junker car and someone GIVES you $30-40k (or more) or so worth of custom restoration, paint, interior and stereo... what's so hard to understand about owing tax on it?

Ever hear of the lottery?

Who didn't understand ?

SPLITRAY 09-26-2006 11:12 PM

I don't think it's a question of not understanding it....It's more of not liking it!;)

ctjackster 09-26-2006 11:24 PM

Sheesh, you blame lawyers for the tax code? now THAT'S the last straw! I only explain it to you, I didn't come up with the concept!

Take a look at the 16th amendment, passed in 1913 to overcome the Supreme Court's abolition of an earlier effort to tax the income of US citizens. Here's the first 1040 tax form from 1913, the beginning of the headaches:

http://www.loc.gov/rr/business/images/1040.bmp

now if anyone can tell me why I pay 10 times more in taxes than some other citizen, even though I am not enjoying 10 times as much in the way of government services as he is - oh, don't get me started on the wealth tax

knight37128 09-26-2006 11:28 PM

Sheesh, you blame lawyers for the tax code? now THAT'S the last straw! I only explain it to you, I didn't come up with the concept!

Take a look at the 16th amendment, passed in 1913 to overcome the Supreme Court's abolition of an earlier effort to tax the income of US citizens. Here's the first 1040 tax form from 1913, the beginning of the headaches:

http://www.loc.gov/rr/business/images/1040.bmp

now if anyone can tell me why I pay 10 times more in taxes than some other citizen, even though I am not enjoying 10 times as much in the way of government services as he is - oh, don't get me started on the wealth tax

You live in the North is why you pay more taxes.:cheers:

I blame lawyers for everything that I don't like.:rofl: :rofl:

Plastic Pig 09-26-2006 11:42 PM

You live in the North is why you pay more taxes.:cheers:

I blame lawyers for everything that I don't like.:rofl: :rofl:

:withstupid: Especially them gol dang yankee lawyers.

:leaving:

My POS Jet hot coated TPIS headers on my C5 rusted through and blew a 1" hole in the collector today as well. This is clearly also your fault. :yesnod: :yesnod:

knight37128 09-26-2006 11:43 PM

:withstupid: Especially them gol dang yankee lawyers.

:leaving:

Yep about sums it up.:D

ctjackster 09-26-2006 11:47 PM

:rolleyes: As for Federal Income taxes, they don't play favorites based on where you live, they'll find you whether you are a Redneck Hillbilly or a Yankee.

As for blaming lawyers for everything, well, get in line . . . :rolleyes:

Plastic Pig 09-26-2006 11:51 PM

:rolleyes: As for Federal Income taxes, they don't play favorites based on where you live, they'll find you whether you are a Redneck Hillbilly or a Yankee.

As for blaming lawyers for everything, well, get in line . . . :rolleyes:

Being just a simple used car peddler myself, there isn't a day goes by that I don't thank the good lord for lawyers so there is someone lower on the totem pole of popularity than me. :yesnod: