CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   The Joy and Excitement are Just About Gone (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3350033-the-joy-and-excitement-are-just-about-gone.html)

schilitj 10-01-2013 07:42 PM

The Joy and Excitement are Just About Gone

I'm one of the unlucky ones with a very low VIN - 00022. I started the C7 purchase journey on 1/15/13. Here's my chronology:

5/6 preliminary order accepted - 1100
6/4 accepted for production - 3000
8/6 scheduled for production - 3300
8/22 produced - 3800
8/28 available to ship - 4000
9/9 bayed - 4B00
9/14 intermediate delivery - 4300
9/15 to 9/29 bounced all over the place 4B00 to 4D00 to 4B00
9/30 told and verified by Chevy Customer Service that my car was shipped - 4200 I assume
10/1 no idea where my car is: Chevy Customer Service was to have re-verified to me today that the car had shipped and GM'er did not publish an update to his spreadsheet.

The fact that I've been witness to numerous folks getting their C7s with VINs in the 1500-1600s is very discouraging and makes waiting for my car all the more exasperating.

I have been waiting for a long time for my C7 only to be stalled, without reason or justification other than QC, has put a real damper on my excitement.

I'm sure once I finally get my C7 I will quickly forget this entire process and the joy and excitement will evidence itself the first time I park my butt in the driver's seat.

I know I'm not the only one in this predicament, but being one of many does not diminish the initial reactions evidenced when the early build code numbers were generated and when I found out that I have the 22nd C7 built.

In closing I want to generously thank GM'er and Kelly J in Customer Service for the time, energy and commitment they've shown to all of us on the CF who have or are looking forward to having their new Corvette.

Jeff

jschindler 10-01-2013 07:45 PM

Huh?

sam90lx 10-01-2013 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by jschindler (Post 1585063043)
Huh?

:iagree:Maybe he just smashed his computer!

blackula 99 10-01-2013 07:51 PM

Oh man....patience is not something we are born with....it's a learned attribute ;)

Pisswilly 10-01-2013 07:52 PM

Interesting! One of the better threads, short and to the point.

OnPoint 10-01-2013 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by blackula 99 (Post 1585063087)
Oh man....patience is not something we are born with....it's a learned attribute ;)

:iagree:

schilitj 10-01-2013 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by jschindler (Post 1585063043)
Huh?

you must have read the post right after I hit the enter key and well before I finished the post, my very bad :hide:

shaan 10-01-2013 08:14 PM

I feel for you, but at the end of the day the car will be worth it :cheers:

K B Vettin 10-01-2013 08:21 PM

better to wait for it now while they work out what ever needs to be worked out then to get it and have it sit at a dealership with a tech drooling over it instead of trying to fix it

R&L's C6 10-01-2013 08:25 PM

Some of us would love to be in the position of waiting for a new C7 to show up....:leaving:

Larry/car 10-01-2013 08:30 PM

One of the disadvantages of ordering a car not yet in production.

talon90 10-01-2013 08:39 PM

Jeff,

What you are going through sucks without question. I hate that there aren't any answers to be had.

What I will promise you is that the wait and the wondering won't matter one bit the second you get behind the wheel.

Paul :cheers:

RedRay 10-01-2013 08:50 PM

Totally agree, GM needs to communicate better, while I have not waited that long am also begining to get frustrated. Do not want to wait a month to bring a car home to sit in a garage for the winter. 9 days at 3800, many others moving right past, it almost feels like your lost in some back corner of the lot. If it head to Nasville am likley out and will wait until next year. Geting to be the first one to have one in the garage is not that exciting. What happened to First in First out.

zhopper05 10-01-2013 08:53 PM

Jeff - your situation almost mirrors mine (VIN 106), except that you're at 4200 and I am 4B00.

Just take a deep breath. I got all worked up last week to the point of getting myself kicked off GMer's list (whom I am not upset with BTW, I broke his rules; I am still thankful and grateful for his service to me and everyone else).

Now I am past the point of being upset. My dealer has received several C7's around the 2000 VIN mark, yesterday, while all I got was the Window Sticker for my car (so I laminated it for souvenir).

At this point, I am just waiting for it to show up, whenever. I know the car will be a blast to own and drive. I can hope for is this long wait is worth it from the stand point of reliability, and that whatever issues were discovered with these cars have been permanently resolved.

Anthony. :cheers:

05dsom 10-01-2013 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by schilitj (Post 1585063021)
I'm one of the unlucky ones with a very low VIN - 00022. I started the C7 purchase journey on 1/15/13. Here's my chronology:

8/22 produced - 3800
9/9 bayed - 4B00
9/30 told and verified by Chevy Customer Service that my car was shipped - 4200 I assume
10/1 no idea where my car is: Chevy Customer Service was to have re-verified to me today that the car had shipped and GM'er did not publish an update to his spreadsheet.

The fact that I've been witness to numerous folks getting their C7s with VINs in the 1500-1600s is very discouraging and makes waiting for my car all the more exasperating.

I have been waiting for a long time for my C7 only to be stalled, without reason or justification other than QC, has put a real damper on my excitement.

I'm sure once I finally get my C7 I will quickly forget this entire process and the joy and excitement will evidence itself the first time I park my butt in the driver's seat.

I know I'm not the only one in this predicament, but being one of many does not diminish the initial reactions evidenced when the early build code numbers were generated and when I found out that I have the 22nd C7 built.

In closing I want to generously thank GM'er and Kelly J in Customer Service for the time, energy and commitment they've shown to all of us on the CF who have or are looking forward to having their new Corvette.

Jeff

hahahaha..... 9 months!!
I put down my deposit on a 2014 991 Gt3 in March 2013 and just found out my build date will be 4th quarter 2014

Slappy3243 10-01-2013 08:58 PM

GM'ers list was just updated. You are still at 4200 which is likely a good thing :).

aforand 10-01-2013 08:59 PM

I am getting a bad gut feel about this car. I have a high vin# and a guy just 4 numbers higher than mine took delivery today while I have been on hold for 3 weeks. What could of been so different in a 4 car sequence? Then think of al the cars in Nashville, something does not smell right. I love the car but my gut says to cancel the order and purchase a second year car where all the bugs and drama are worked out. Heck by then I would be able to get in one and test drive one. Yes I am strongly thinking of cancelling and will do so by the weekend. I am telling you something is not right.
I agree with others GM has engineered a great cat but unfortunately they just can't deliver.

GM'er 10-01-2013 09:01 PM

....but you WILL be driving your car by the end of the week! :woohoo:

talon90 10-01-2013 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by GM'er (Post 1585063786)

:cheers:

carlrx7 10-01-2013 09:09 PM

a couple extra days in the earlier stages will help prevent additional days siting at the dealership for warranty repair. Plus, different configs can delay as well.

-Carl

schilitj 10-01-2013 09:10 PM

Hurray:woohoo:

Wrote this post before you updated your list. Don't ask, but deep down I had the feeling after I hit the enter key that this might happen, namely you'd show me at 4200 :cheers:

aforand 10-01-2013 09:11 PM

Who will?

Jesse 10-01-2013 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by talon90 (Post 1585063546)
Jeff, What you are going through sucks without question. I hate that there aren't any answers to be had. What I will promise you is that the wait and the wondering won't matter one bit the second you get behind the wheel. Paul :cheers:

:iagree:

While it's easier said then done, hang in there Jeff :thumbs:

michaelinmech 10-01-2013 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by aforand (Post 1585063759)
I am getting a bad gut feel about this car. I have a high vin# and a guy just 4 numbers higher than mine took delivery today while I have been on hold for 3 weeks. What could of been so different in a 4 car sequence? Then think of al the cars in Nashville, something does not smell right. I love the car but my gut says to cancel the order and purchase a second year car where all the bugs and drama are worked out. Heck by then I would be able to get in one and test drive one. Yes I am strongly thinking of cancelling and will do so by the weekend. I am telling you something is not right.
I agree with others GM has engineered a great cat but unfortunately they just can't deliver.

^ Team Corvette's lack of transparency is disconcerting. Their deafening silence leaves the door wide open for rumor, speculation and even sabotaging remarks. Their decision to neither update or inform naturally leaves you and so many others riddled with doubt and lost confidence. Their inaction is beyond curious, it is inexcusable, imho.

The launch of a World Class C7 Corvette merits World Class Customer focus and attention throughout the process.

BRCC 10-01-2013 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by schilitj (Post 1585063021)

8/22 produced - 3800
9/9 bayed - 4B00

Jeff

Jeff:

All I can say is I know where you are coming from in this matter. My car was shown at 5000 with delivery on 9/27, today my dealer followed up because he thought it would be here. Well it went to Nashville on 9/17 and no matter what was sent out including the invoice, it's still in Nashville today according to my dealer whos on line inventory shows it's here not in transit.

Without a doubt there is a major communications problem at the GM corporate level. VIN #170

jimb100 10-01-2013 09:24 PM

One thing that's definitely 'world class' in these threads is the whining.

You'd think it was a BMW forum. :rofl:

runutzzzzz 10-01-2013 09:29 PM

You're almost there. Yes the excitement is gone. GM really kicked us early VINs in the nuts and left us guessing / assume the worse. They did us no favor with their tracking system they had online as well as the confusing status codes.

Us Nashvillers will be out soon enough and it will all be in the past. We can go driving along with grins from ear to ear and forget all about this silly Nashville "QC" Just hope one day soon we will figure out what the heck they did down there.

:thumbs:

Pics when you get it!

zhopper05 10-01-2013 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by michaelinmech (Post 1585063910)
^ Team Corvette's lack of transparency is disconcerting. Their deafening silence leaves the door wide open for rumor, speculation and even sabotaging remarks. Their decision to neither update or inform naturally leaves you and so many others riddled with doubt and lost confidence. Their inaction is beyond curious, it is inexcusable, imho.

The launch of a World Class C7 Corvette merits World Class Customer focus and attention throughout the process.

Not only their deafening silence; we, as in CF members, on this forum, are being bullied into silence as well. I speak from experience. I was a little upset last week. Although I remained respectful to all, and apologized for my humorous ranting, I was reminded that I couldn't complain, or else, by the person who I do look up to as "The Face of GM" on this Forum. As a result, I decided to do the Forum a good favor by starting a dedicated thread to allow people to complain (where no one listens - LOL), and it looks like it has worked.

So, Michael, be careful not to step over the line with your rants and comments., Just go to the Nashville thread where you can freely vent without offending anyone.

pietro c7 10-01-2013 09:31 PM

Is this the script for the new "cars 3"......a cross between the kids movie "cars" and "Saving Private Ryan"......you guys are brilliant!!!!!

jschindler 10-01-2013 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by schilitj (Post 1585063268)
you must have read the post right after I hit the enter key and well before I finished the post, my very bad :hide:

So your target production time and your delivery did not meet expectations!:lol:

slappy3347 10-01-2013 09:37 PM

I know it's rough now but in 6 months it will just be a distant memory. I hope your car arrives soon. :cheers:

jschindler 10-01-2013 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by jimb100 (Post 1585064031)
One thing that's definitely 'world class' in these threads is the whining.

You'd think it was a BMW forum. :rofl:

Not much whining over there, they have plenty of kool aid on hand. (See sig)

michaelinmech 10-01-2013 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by zhopper05 (Post 1585064090)
Not only their deafening silence; we, as in CF members, on this forum, are being bullied into silence as well. I speak from experience. I was a little upset last week. Although I remained respectful to all, and apologized for my humorous ranting, I was reminded that I couldn't complain, or else, by the person who I do look up to as "The Face of GM" on this Forum. As a result, I decided to do the Forum a good favor by starting a dedicated thread to allow people to complain (where no one listens - LOL), and it looks like it has worked.

So, Michael, be careful not to step over the line with your rants and comments., Just go to the Nashville thread where you can freely vent without offending anyone.

^ Thanks kindly for the heads up zhopper5 - much appreciated.

I do not believe I am ranting, rather commiserating with folks who are rightfully feeling a bit disenfranchised at this point. Good Faith systems are a 2 way street. Folks put down their earnest money in good faith, fully cognizant of where they were in their dealers pecking order. Many are experiencing the legit disappointment of seeing others have their cars delivered who joined the process much later. Team Corvette and it's Dealer network is nearly mute on the subject, hardly evidence of a good faith partner. It is not GM'ers or Chevy Customer Service on the Forum jobs to be the middle man information brokers. Their participation is a blessing and a bonus. But band aids and work arounds are mere substitutes for what these good faith buyers deserve in updates and communications, imho.

It's still just a car and not the end of the world. It will hopefully all work itself out in time. But the failure to keep 'stalled' customers informed is legitimate and should not be simply brushed under the rug.

BIg Wash AZ 10-01-2013 09:51 PM

its valuable

Patience. The first computers were replete with issues. And we pined for them nonetheless. When we got them finally, they hiccupped on a regular basis. When I gave folks advice back then, it was to exercise the 3 R's. Relax, Reboot, and Refresh yourself.

A handful of folks have cars. Some of them because the trucks headed to their locale first. No cars have been delivered to a dealer in my city of 650K. None. And no one in either of the two large Corvette clubs has a car they sourced from an out of state dealer. Your time is nigh. Don't spoil the enjoyment agonizing over a week or even two. Folks in this world with nothing to eat. They have problems.

zhopper05 10-01-2013 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by michaelinmech (Post 1585064245)
^ Thanks kindly for the heads up zhopper5 - much appreciated.

I do not believe I am ranting, rather commiserating with folks who are rightfully feeling a bit disenfranchised at this point. Good Faith systems are a 2 way street. Folks put down their earnest money in good faith, fully cognizant of where they were in their dealers pecking order. Many are experiencing the legit disappointment of seeing others have their cars delivered who joined the process much later. Team Corvette and it's Dealer network is nearly mute on the subject, hardly evidence of a good faith partner. It is not GM'ers or Chevy Customer Service on the Forum jobs to be the middle man information brokers. Their participation is a blessing and a bonus. But band aids and work arounds are mere substitutes for what these good faith buyers deserve in updates and communications, imho.

It's still just a car and not the end of the world. It will hopefully all work itself out in time. But the failure to keep 'stalled' customers informed is legitimate and should not be simply brushed under the rug.

Exactly right. These were some of the points I was making, but someone must have been having a bad day. Anyway, some of us are the adults in this room, and we move on. I've owned more than 50 GM cars in my life, I actually can't remember all of them, some new and some used, including 9 Corvettes and the C7 is my 10th, and wont be the last (already have my name on the pre-order list for whatever Hi-Po version comes out). It's just sad to have such unnecessary experience, while it can be easily avoided by GM through smart PR.

schilitj 10-01-2013 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by BIg Wash AZ (Post 1585064285)
Patience. The first computers were replete with issues. And we pined for them nonetheless. When we got them finally, they hiccupped on a regular basis. When I gave folks advice back then, it was to exercise the 3 R's. Relax, Reboot, and Refresh yourself.

A handful of folks have cars. Some of them because the trucks headed to their locale first. No cars have been delivered to a dealer in my city of 650K. None. And no one in either of the two large Corvette clubs has a car they sourced from an out of state dealer. Your time is nigh. Don't spoil the enjoyment agonizing over a week or even two. Folks in this world with nothing to eat. They have problems.

Thanks for putting all into some real contextual frame of reference.

66dreams 10-01-2013 10:00 PM

Now that should bring back the joy and excitement. :thumbs:

zhopper05 10-01-2013 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by BIg Wash AZ (Post 1585064285)

Sad but true - maybe that's why America is on the decline; we accept and defend Mediocre...

I am sorry I don't buy this argument. I am a small entrepreneur that runs a national operation, because I always strive to be the best - I am my own competitor - I never accept being as good as the next guy. I have zero tolerance for imperfection with my services. I can go on and on.

Jefff1 10-01-2013 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 (Post 1585063409)
Some of us would love to be in the position of waiting for a new C7 to show up....:leaving:

:thumbs: yes indeed it will be a few years before I can get far enough up the ladder to a C7....need to stay satisfied with an '11 GS for awhile

OnPoint 10-01-2013 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by carlrx7 (Post 1585063871)
a couple extra days in the earlier stages will help prevent additional days siting at the dealership for warranty repair. Plus, different configs can delay as well.

-Carl

This.

Do you want to wait longer and get a car that is right?

Or do you want the car sooner, only to let the dealer techs make it right?

I'd much rather the guys that actually made the thing sign off that it's ready to go.

450hp mike9 10-01-2013 10:15 PM

Are cars still going to Nashville from 4B00 ? Simple question .

zhopper05 10-01-2013 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by OnPoint (Post 1585064513)
This.

Do you want to wait longer and get a car that is right?

Or do you want the car sooner, only to let the dealer techs make it right?

I'd much rather the guys that actually made the thing sign off that it's ready to go.

Okay, here is an example for you - you take your car to the dealer because of a CEL. Thirty days later the dealer tells you he's not done with the car. You ask him why it's taking so long? He doesn't tell you. You ask him what's wrong with the car? He doesn't tell you. You ask him how much longer? He doesn't know. How much faith do you have in this dealer now?

OnPoint 10-01-2013 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by zhopper05 (Post 1585064580)
Okay, here is an example for you - you take your car to the dealer because of a CEL. Thirty days later the dealer tells you he's not done with the car. You ask him why it's taking so long? He doesn't tell you. You ask him what's wrong with the car? He doesn't tell you. You ask him how much longer? He doesn't know. How much faith do you have in this dealer now?

That's why I'd rather the manufacturer be the one to make sure the product is good to go prior to me taking delivery and paying for it.

zhopper05 10-01-2013 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by OnPoint (Post 1585064730)
That's why I'd rather the manufacturer be the one to make sure the product is good to go prior to me taking delivery and paying for it.

You're missing the point. Change the word "dealer" with "manufacturer". The point is not the qualification of the repair expert, it's the silence about it all.

OnPoint 10-01-2013 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by zhopper05 (Post 1585064763)
You're missing the point. Change the word "dealer" with "manufacturer". The point is not the qualification of the repair expert, it's the silence about it all.

Will knowing all the details speed up your delivery?

zhopper05 10-01-2013 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by OnPoint (Post 1585064773)

I only speak for myself - I am okay with the delay if I know the reasons why.

OnPoint 10-01-2013 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by zhopper05 (Post 1585064796)
I only speak for myself - I am okay with the delay if I know the reasons why.

I understand.

For me, it wouldn't really matter. It arrives when it arrives. I want it to be right, so if they take a little extra time to make it right, I prefer that.

I've ordered 3 new vettes before. They all took a different amount of time to arrive, and they all 3 were perfect (and deadbolt reliable). At the end of day, when I picked them up (one was delivered to me), the wait for it became a quickly faded memory, supplanted by all the damn fun I was having with it.

runutzzzzz 10-01-2013 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by OnPoint (Post 1585064773)

No, not at all but then we can stop bitching about what's wrong with it and move on to the only subject which is why the heck it's taking so long :lol:

I think it's the lies more than anything else that really has everyone upset. While some will say GM Told us that the all the initial cars will go through QC we can smell the BS.

Quoted from interview with Corvetteblogger.com:

John Fitzpatrick: “There are cars that are going directly out from the factory to dealerships, but there are a handful of cars that still have to complete their quality assessment. The quality assessment is being done in two places. One is Bowling Green, the other is being done in Nashville. Why two different places? Really, every car needs to get looked at before it gets sent out. As we announced in the press release, we have 1,000 cars that we’ve produced. Every one has to be checked out before we say okay, yes or no. And so just because of the magnitude of that, we really wanted to find the expedite it, to see if we could get more hands on the cars and get them through the process, we decided to move some of the cars down to Nashville and once they are done with the quality assessment, they are shipped directly to the dealer out of Nashville.”

CorvetteBlogger: What is the current quality control time for cars that are getting built now. I think we’re in the 1200-1300 VIN numbers and you’ve already had 1,000 go through. We kind of time frame are we looking at for these current cars getting built?

John Fitzpatrick: “The same as the other cars, they all go through the same process. Like with anything else, you hope with better practice you’re delivering higher quality product but the same rigorous reviews go on all these cars at this point.”

So they ALL go thought the SAME process? Oh really... :smash:
Handful? How big are his hands? :lol:

OnPoint 10-01-2013 10:50 PM

I hear ya, Run.

Cool Rod 10-02-2013 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz (Post 1585064848)
No, not at all but then we can stop bitching about what's wrong with it and move on to the only subject which is why the heck it's taking so long :lol:

I think it's the lies more than anything else that really has everyone upset. While some will say GM Told us that the all the initial cars will go through QC we can smell the BS.

Quoted from interview with Corvetteblogger.com:

John Fitzpatrick: “There are cars that are going directly out from the factory to dealerships, but there are a handful of cars that still have to complete their quality assessment. The quality assessment is being done in two places. One is Bowling Green, the other is being done in Nashville. Why two different places? Really, every car needs to get looked at before it gets sent out. As we announced in the press release, we have 1,000 cars that we’ve produced. Every one has to be checked out before we say okay, yes or no. And so just because of the magnitude of that, we really wanted to find the expedite it, to see if we could get more hands on the cars and get them through the process, we decided to move some of the cars down to Nashville and once they are done with the quality assessment, they are shipped directly to the dealer out of Nashville.”

CorvetteBlogger: What is the current quality control time for cars that are getting built now. I think we’re in the 1200-1300 VIN numbers and you’ve already had 1,000 go through. We kind of time frame are we looking at for these current cars getting built?

John Fitzpatrick: “The same as the other cars, they all go through the same process. Like with anything else, you hope with better practice you’re delivering higher quality product but the same rigorous reviews go on all these cars at this point.”

So they ALL go thought the SAME process? Oh really... :smash:
Handful? How big are his hands? :lol:

If it's the same QC process in both places, why are the cars in Nashville being held up but not the cars in Bowling Green?

It's more likely that the cars sent to Nashville have something different about them.

jvp 10-02-2013 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by zhopper05 (Post 1585064763)

There's a small but important (IMHO) fact you're missing here: the car that hasn't been delivered yet isn't yours! It's still GM's. The dealer doesn't own it, and neither do you. I may be sounding a bit snippy, but the simple fact of the matter is: GM owes you precisely nothing at this point in the game.

Compare that with taking your car to the dealership for a CEL. In this case, the car is yours, and you have some right due to ownership to know what the hell's going on with it.

It may not seem like there's a difference, but there is. And it's a big one.

Patience. Stop bitching. The car you ordered will make it to you and you'll be all smiles.

zhopper05 10-02-2013 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by jvp (Post 1585066414)
There's a small but important (IMHO) fact you're missing here: the car that hasn't been delivered yet isn't yours! It's still GM's. The dealer doesn't own it, and neither do you. I may be sounding a bit snippy, but the simple fact of the matter is: GM owes you precisely nothing at this point in the game.

Compare that with taking your car to the dealership for a CEL. In this case, the car is yours, and you have some right due to ownership to know what the hell's going on with it.

Patience. Stop bitching. The car you ordered will make it to you and you'll be all smiles.

Then what would you tell Drake, who already paid for his car last week, and has registration in his name? Right, wrong, or indifferent with respect to the fact he shouldn't have bought it before delivery; they still won't tell him what's going on.

This is not my first Corvette (my 10th as a matter of fact), nor is it the first launch vehicle I am getting. Most of us won't mind waiting, if we know why. Telling us we are not owed an answer is not how good business is conducted.

Now to the point you raised - the cars that are being built are not mine, but VIN 106 is a custom order for me. That's why I am the only one that can check on it (other than my dealer of course), track and discuss its progress with GM. Based on these premises, I have the right to know if there are issues with the product and what is being done to correct them.

Jvp - do you have one on order that has been quarantined with no end in sight?

Cruiter 10-02-2013 07:48 AM

:cheers:

schilitj 10-02-2013 07:50 AM

Folks,

I started this thread to lament the long time its taken from initial deposit to delivery.

I did not start this thread to begin another bitch session.

There are and have been too many of them already.

Jeff

jschindler 10-02-2013 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by jvp (Post 1585066414)

I fully disagree STRONGLY that GM owes him nothing. He ordered the car. He is the CUSTOMER. Do you not get what it means to show respect to customers by keeping them informed on what is going on with the $60K plus car that the CUSTOMER ordered. I can't stress CUSTOMER enough. I have been in professional sales for almost 40 years. I deal with extremely large customers. I cannot imagine them saying to me "gee, we don't really care when the product we ordered gets here, not biggie"

My ass would be fired over that sort of attitude.

BTW, just to be clear on my position, I'm not arguing the point that the car is being held up for what might be perfectly good reasons. What I'm arguing is that GM is not telling the customer what is going on. That is what is inexcusable.

zhopper05 10-02-2013 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by schilitj (Post 1585066561)
Folks,

I started this thread to lament the long time its taken from initial deposit to delivery.

Jeff

Jeff - do you really think we're mature enough to stick and abide by these rules? LOL.

Seriously, you're right. I totally agree with you, that's why I started the thread for the Nashville Quarantines to take the b*tching and whining to one place.

jschindler 10-02-2013 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by schilitj (Post 1585066561)
Folks,

Jeff

Uhhh, you didn't start it as a bitch session? :crazy: Then why did you start it? Lets at least be honest here Jeff.

jvp 10-02-2013 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by jschindler (Post 1585066586)
I fully disagree STRONGLY that GM owes him nothing. He ordered the car. He is the CUSTOMER.

Read in context please. You have a severe problem doing that, and have since you've started participating here on the CF. It's why I've come close to plonking you several times.

My point is that he doesn't OWN THE CAR YET! Get it? It's not like taking HIS car to the dealer for service, which is precisely the comparison he made earlier. While it may seem like an insignificant difference, the difference is actually huge. In the former: GM owns the car. The latter: he does.

As for the order: he's a customer of the dealer. It doesn't mean GM doesn't care, it's just that at this point in the process, GM doesn't owe him anything. They owe the dealer something, and that something is a car. When we get to a place like Tesla is pushing such that we can order Corvettes directly from GM, the story will be completely different. Until then, it's the dealer. Not GM.

Get it?

(Knowing the specific audience: probably not. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...)

zland 10-02-2013 08:15 AM

Much better to be delayed and delivered without problems than to be delivered sooner and it becomes a nightmare after delivery.

I bet most of the people whining about the delay would be whining even more so if their car was a lemon.

jschindler 10-02-2013 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by jvp (Post 1585066646)
Read in context please. You have a severe problem doing that, and have since you've started participating here on the CF. It's why I've come close to plonking you several times.

My point is that he doesn't OWN THE CAR YET! Get it? It's not like taking HIS car to the dealer for service, which is precisely the comparison he made earlier. While it may seem like an insignificant difference, the difference is actually huge. In the former: GM owns the car. The latter: he does.

As for the order: he's a customer of the dealer. It doesn't mean GM doesn't care, it's just that at this point in the process, GM doesn't owe him anything. They owe the dealer something, and that something is a car. When we get to a place like Tesla is pushing such that we can order Corvettes directly from GM, the story will be completely different. Until then, it's the dealer. Not GM.

Get it?

(Knowing the specific audience: probably not. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...)

I don't take well to being insulted, and if you read my response you can't possibly miss the fact that I understood the fact that he does not own the car yet. And to say that he is a customer of the dealer shows me that you don't understand the relationship of an authorized dealer and the manufacturer. He is a customer of both.

zhopper05 10-02-2013 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by zland (Post 1585066702)
Much better to be delayed and delivered without problems than to be delivered sooner and it becomes a nightmare after delivery.

I bet most of the people whining about the delay would be whining even more so if their car was a lemon.

Hey zland - do you have a car stuck in Nashville? Built five weeks ago with no end in sight and no knowledge as to why?

Please spare me - enough with the "Much better to be delayed and delivered without problems than to be delivered sooner and it becomes a nightmare after delivery" rhetoric. I have owned lemons before, more than once. The problem we're having with the process is not, let me repeat - is not with the delay. It is with the lack of transparency as to why????? I think we deserve an honest answer as to WHY our cars are stuck. That's all, pure and simple. Is this really so difficult to understand? Sorry, if it appears I am taking my frustration out on you, I am not. I don't mean to. But you're repeating the same broken record from people who don't have a dog in this fight.

Some people do need their cars, you know.

schilitj 10-02-2013 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by jschindler (Post 1585066595)
Uhhh, you didn't start it as a bitch session? :crazy: Then why did you start it? Lets at least be honest here Jeff.

Jay, not to quibble, but show me where I'm "bitching". What I thought I presented was a thoughtful lament, not bitch, about how long I've been waiting to get my ass in my C7.

BTW, I don't want to start a semantic war between us :thumbs:

zhopper05 10-02-2013 08:31 AM

Hey Jay and JVP (sorry I don't know your name), please let's keep it cool guys. It's okay to argue, but don't get at each others throats.

Oh Jay, BTW, did you see my post we must have missed each other at Norman Frede yesterday? We may have been there at the same time.

Daniel White 10-02-2013 08:52 AM

Did this same process exist for factory C6 orders or is all of this new frustration? Just curious.

Zhuskers1 10-02-2013 08:56 AM

You think you have problems.... they don't want my order since I picked the most popular options. :smash::smash::smash::smash:

jschindler 10-02-2013 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by schilitj (Post 1585066779)
Jay, not to quibble, but show me where I'm "bitching". What I thought I presented was a thoughtful lament, not bitch, about how long I've been waiting to get my ass in my C7.

BTW, I don't want to start a semantic war between us :thumbs:

Pardon me for not cutting and pasting from your first post (I'm on a new Apple and finding the touch pad to be more difficult to cut and paste). But I can't imagine anyone would construe you starting this thread as anything except a bitch post. BTW, please understand that I'm not saying that in a derogatory manner - if I were in your position I'd be bitching. But I'd admit to it! :D

BTW, I agree on not starting a war. We've both been here a long time and I have no issues with you.

Originally Posted by zhopper05 (Post 1585066833)
Hey Jay and JVP (sorry I don't know your name), please let's keep it cool guys. It's okay to argue, but don't get at each others throats.

Oh Jay, BTW, did you see my post we must have missed each other at Norman Frede yesterday? We may have been there at the same time.

First of all, my name is Jim, but no problem calling me Jay - I understand. I don't see where I went at his throat so much as I took issue with his direct insult on me. It's okay to tell me you disagree and you think I'm wrong. But his first comment back was a direct personal insult.

Sorry I missed you. I was there at about 12:30. The guy who is buying the Cyber Gray car was there and I talked to him for a few minutes. Sorry I missed you. I look forward to meeting you and you'll see that I'm a pretty nice guy who lives, eats, and breaths anything that can be construed as "gear head" stuff!

Originally Posted by Daniel White (Post 1585066999)
Did this same process exist for factory C6 orders or is all of this new frustration? Just curious.

I had an order in six months before the C6 came out. There were certainly some quality holds here and there, and the convertible (which I originally had ordered) kept getting delayed. But by and large I think it went smoother. In fairness, as the years go by the internet makes it easier for buyers to have higher expectations and a place to vent their frustrations when things don't go well.

zhopper05 10-02-2013 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by jschindler (Post 1585067323)
Pardon me for not cutting and pasting from your first post (I'm on a new Apple and finding the touch pad to be more difficult to cut and paste). But I can't imagine anyone would construe you starting this thread as anything except a bitch post. BTW, please understand that I'm not saying that in a derogatory manner - if I were in your position I'd be bitching. But I'd admit to it! :D

BTW, I agree on not starting a war. We've both been here a long time and I have no issues with you.

First of all, my name is Jim, but no problem calling me Jay - I understand. I don't see where I went at his throat so much as I took issue with his direct insult on me. It's okay to tell me you disagree and you think I'm wrong. But his first comment back was a direct personal insult.

Sorry I missed you. I was there at about 12:30. The guy who is buying the Cyber Gray car was there and I talked to him for a few minutes. Sorry I missed you. I look forward to meeting you and you'll see that I'm a pretty nice guy who lives, eats, and breaths anything that can be construed as "gear head" stuff!

I had an order in six months before the C6 came out. There were certainly some quality holds here and there, and the convertible (which I originally had ordered) kept getting delayed. But by and large I think it went smoother. In fairness, as the years go by the internet makes it easier for buyers to have higher expectations and a place to vent their frustrations when things don't go well.

I had thought your name was Jim from our last chat, but when someone else referred to you by Jay I thought that may be what you go by. At any rate, Jim (I repeated it to make sure I remember it) I also met the man who bought the CG. By the way, according to GM Customer Assistance, few minutes ago, my car left Nashville yesterday. If you PM me with your number, I'll call or text you when it arrives at the dealership.

jschindler 10-02-2013 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by zhopper05 (Post 1585067414)
I had thought your name was Jim from our last chat, but when someone else referred to you by Jay I thought that may be what you go by. At any rate, Jim (I repeated it to make sure I remember it) I also met the man who bought the CG. By the way, according to GM Customer Assistance, few minutes ago, my car left Nashville yesterday. If you PM me with your number, I'll call or text you when it arrives at the dealership.

Thanks. I will send a PM. I look forward to meeting you with or without your car. I work from home and often get out for lunch in the area. Most weekends I'm out riding, but Sundays are usually best for me as I ride all day Saturday.

BlueOx 10-02-2013 10:00 AM

Hey! To the OP....

You need to read this...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...m-the-ncm.html

michaelinmech 10-02-2013 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by jvp (Post 1585066646)

Get it?

^

Respectfully & imho, GM owes the Dealer more than a car. They owe the dealer sufficient, timely accurate information so they can keep their customer informed and satisfied. That is not being provided. As evidenced by posts on this very Forum, even the highly respected Forum Supporting Dealers, are embarrassed by their inability to answer their customer's legitimate questions.

Folks like GM'er and Chevy Customer Service here on the Forum, are stepping in to provide the very information one's dealer should have. By most all accounts, the C7 deserves raves and accolades - the associated customer communication deserves much of the opposite, to this point.

Vetteman Jack 10-02-2013 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by kristopherbush (Post 1585063370)
better to wait for it now while they work out what ever needs to be worked out then to get it and have it sit at a dealership with a tech drooling over it instead of trying to fix it

I agree and hope that when you do get the car it is all you hoped it would be.

vetteLT193 10-02-2013 12:58 PM

IMO GM should simply put another car on the line that matches any car that heads to Nashville for major repair. Then send the first one done to the customer.

They will sell all they can build anyway so this is simply the best way to keep the customer happy. They could exclude cars that have the color override option if they think the combo is too extreme.

This would solve a few issues. First, customers would receive cars in approximately the same sequence in which they were ordered. Second, more cars would hit dealer showrooms so people like my Dad, who really wants to sit/see one before ordering, can do so.

WildVettes 10-02-2013 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by vetteLT193 (Post 1585069326)
IMO GM should simply put another car on the line that matches any car that heads to Nashville for major repair. Then send the first one done to the customer.

They will sell all they can build anyway so this is simply the best way to keep the customer happy. They could exclude cars that have the color override option if they think the combo is too extreme.

This would solve a few issues. First, customers would receive cars in approximately the same sequence in which they were ordered. Second, more cars would hit dealer showrooms so people like my Dad, who really wants to sit/see one before ordering, can do so.

Not going to happen. Once you have a VIN and TPW it is a wrap. Your order number is tied to that VIN. The only options are getting your VIN tattooed to your shoulder or cancelling your order and trying again.

vetteLT193 10-02-2013 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by WildVettes (Post 1585069502)
Not going to happen. Once you have a VIN and TPW it is a wrap. Your order number is tied to that VIN. The only options are getting your VIN tattooed to your shoulder or cancelling your order and trying again.

I hear ya loud and clear. I didn't say it was going to happen, just that it should happen.

GM has customer service worse than prisons. If they fix that maybe these issues would resolve themselves.

WildVettes 10-02-2013 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by vetteLT193 (Post 1585069541)
I hear ya loud and clear. I didn't say it was going to happen, just that it should happen.

GM has customer service worse than prisons. If they fix that maybe these issues would resolve themselves.

:lol: well they do run a prison in Nashville. Our cars don't get due process though. :rofl:

Chevy Cust Svc 10-03-2013 06:39 PM

schilitj,

That is a journey. I know Kelly and GM'er as well, appreciate that you are grateful for their assistance. We do not want your joy and excitement to dwindle.

Erica Tiffany (Assisting Kelly)
Chevrolet Customer Care

AORoads 10-03-2013 09:02 PM

I now think, all arguments considered, that times have changed since the last, big, generation change for Corvette. And, altho the number of those who follow their ordered cars may be very small, say 1/10th of all Corvette buyers per year), there is room for change.

Chevrolet, GM and Corvette need to change the information process and give substantive answers in a timely way to those who want to know about their ordered cars.

There, I said it. Chevrolet, GM and Corvette can change to meet the times of "instant information," "people wanna know, "it's my car--no matter who is legally the owner," etc.

Or, they can remain just as it is, as it always was...and as it can't continue to be.

The winds of change have so affected this car that the "customer information process" must, or should change along with the style and substance of the car itself. That is but one more way to demonstrate that not only the car has changed, but so has the attitude of the people who make this car.

Now, the ball is in GM, Chevrolet and Corvette's court in my opinion. That's my take on it.

schilitj 10-03-2013 09:21 PM

The car is home! The joy and excitement are back in a big way. Pictures to follow as soon as a friend of mine posts them.