CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   C7 Delivered yesterday has already been towed back to dealer (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3350365-c7-delivered-yesterday-has-already-been-towed-back-to-dealer.html)

callchuck 10-02-2013 10:38 AM

C7 Delivered yesterday has already been towed back to dealer

One of my friends who took delivery yesterday of his C7 at Jim Ellis in Atlanta and has already had transmission failure. He has the 7 speed transmission. He was driving along 400 last night when he smelled smoke and the car was slowing down with a grinding noise. He pulled over and smoke was coming out of the rear end. When he pressed in the clutch there was a bad rattling noise coming from the rear end. Anyway, the car was towed back to dealer and he still does not know what is wrong with the car. He said the parking brake was not engaged and he drove it maybe 20 miles from dealer when the failure happened. His Vin 1872 never went to Nashville.

ZL-1 10-02-2013 10:41 AM

Electric parking brake not released? Hill holder not releasing?

zhopper05 10-02-2013 10:44 AM

Hmmm - that's the second transmission-related problem. The first one so far has been reported as an ECM, though.

Landru 10-02-2013 10:49 AM

I'll be expecting to hear these reports considering it's a new generation Corvette, will attribute it all to 'growing pains'.

Being the first on the block with a brand new generation comes with additional costs transcending MSRP, has always been true with Corvette (& most other marques FTM). People had to know this, going in. :confused2:

450hp mike9 10-02-2013 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Landru (Post 1585068091)
I'll be expecting to hear these reports considering it's a new generation Corvette, will attribute it all to 'growing pains'.

Being the first on the block with a brand new generation comes with additional costs transcending MSRP, has always been true with Corvette (& most other marques FTM). People had to know this, going in. :confused2:

That's the same as saying " I told you so " nobody needs to hear that.

pietro c7 10-02-2013 10:54 AM

What good is it to post this? Its a c7 forum and many have ordered cars and others aspire to order....Would you like it if we all pulled out? Do you believe GM intends to build 25000 lemons in their debut?

zhopper05 10-02-2013 10:54 AM

True, but if it turns out there is a connection between these issues (two that we know of so far that have affected the transmission) and what has caused cars to be quarantined in Nashville, then one may conclude the problem is more widespread than reported, which explain some people's theory, including mine that the car was rushed into production before it is actually ready, in addition to the lack of transparency on the part of GM.

I know this is all speculation, now, but time will tell.

TacDoc 10-02-2013 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by pietro c7 (Post 1585068133)
What good is it to post this? Its a c7 forum and many have ordered cars and others aspire to order....Would you like it if we all pulled out? Do you believe GM intends to build 25000 lemons in their debut?

Same reason so many legal ads exist. Unreal expectations that everything is perfect 100% of the time.

zhopper05 10-02-2013 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by 450hp mike9 (Post 1585068121)

Yeah, but at some point people are going to start buying the cars. Regardless of the magnitude of problems, which are always anticipated with new launches, I personally believe this car was rushed into production before it has reach the "Ready" threshold. But who am I to decide.

callchuck 10-02-2013 11:01 AM

His vin 1872 never went to Nashville. The reason the cars are in Nashville is re flashing the computer for the auto lock for the gas cap. That is what I have been told from someone at GM. Is it true?

zhopper05 10-02-2013 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by callchuck (Post 1585068195)
His vin 1872 never went to Nashville. The reason the cars are in Nashville is re flashing the computer for the auto lock for the gas cap. That is what I have been told from someone at GM. Is it true?

All we hear is speculations and guesses. People in the know are not talking.

Landru 10-02-2013 11:04 AM

Hardly.

For your benefit it's saying bugs are to be expected & patience is required while systems are perfected.

Jimbob26 10-02-2013 11:07 AM

It sucks his new baby is already having an issue, but this could be a supplier issue with the tranny, an e-brake issue or any number of things. His VIN is 1872, mine is 1818, but have not gotten it yet. I hope his is an isolated problem and the rest of us don't experience these issues. Truthfully, I hope with the gazillion hours of computing time, GM engineering and manufacturing expertise and commitment to getting their halo car right, most of us will not experience problems.

z51vett 10-02-2013 11:08 AM

Here is my 2 cents worth the rear ends, transmissions and engines are filled off site.
Either someone didn't fill rearend or trans. I don't know if assy checks fluid at the plant anymore.
z51vett
Doug

Drake Heminger 10-02-2013 11:09 AM

Oh media, where are you? :D

texvette2 10-02-2013 11:09 AM

Hummmmmm 7 years later and a Corvette still can't make it home because of a
transmission problem

texvette2 10-02-2013 11:12 AM

That could easily be done at a receiving dealership. Something
fishy going on

ByByBMW 10-02-2013 11:14 AM

And so, the first MY problems start to raise their heads. The very reason I won't buy another first MY Corvette.
Sorry to the first adopters, this really does suck.

airlineman 10-02-2013 11:18 AM

its is quite possible they do gm is known for there lemon trees

Landru 10-02-2013 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by zhopper05 (Post 1585068140)
True, but if it turns out there is a connection between these issues (two that we know of so far that have affected the transmission) and what has caused cars to be quarantined in Nashville, then one may conclude the problem is more widespread than reported, which explain some people's theory, including mine that the car was rushed into production before it is actually ready, in addition ,to the lack of transparency on the part of GM. I know this is all speculation, now, but time will tell.

We'll all be tallying what's goes wrong with the first run.
Be a while before we know of repetitive issues the result of poor supplier quality, build, QC etc. Good Lord the people who designed & built the cars are among the most curious to learn what weak links are so they may make necessary improvements.

Looking at your avitar, your anticipated C7 isn't your first rodeo so you're aware of the potential risks with new generation Corvettes and especially this one considering the new technology employed.

BTW BIG congrats on your gorgeous new C7 my friend, hopefully your wait won't be too much longer. Saw my first one in public yesterday, red, beautiful even though I passed it at 70 MPH. :lol: :cheers:

khoeysr 10-02-2013 11:26 AM

This stuff happens with new generations as well as more established model years. You can look on the CTS V forums and you'll see posts about smoking transmissions, loss of power, nav systems going haywire, etc.

I owned 3 Vs- an 09 sedan, an 11 coupe and a 12 coupe. Had NONE of these issues, and I suspect that the majority of owners did not either.

Every time you buy a car built by humans you should say a prayer that you don't get a lemon, but this stuff does not sour me on the car that I am waiting for. Also must say that I am not upset that mine will be built later in the process. More time for building familiarity, finding and correcting problems, etc.

airlineman 10-02-2013 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by ByByBMW (Post 1585068339)
And so, the first MY problems start to raise their heads. The very reason I won't buy another first MY Corvette.

I agree with you completely hope it not as bad as 2005 c6 never first year gm no matter which model

b4i4getit 10-02-2013 11:32 AM

That sounds like a relatively minor procedure that the dealer could do. Why hold up cars for weeks over this ? I suspect there is something big going on like a transmission swap.

VIN666 10-02-2013 11:36 AM

This should be interesting :D

pewter99 10-02-2013 11:40 AM

:nonod:

Daekwan06 10-02-2013 11:40 AM

I'm always skeptical of these "my friend" stories.

Its different when talking directly with the owner, as you get 1st hand point of view. And get the whole story, not half of it.

Big Dan 427 10-02-2013 12:07 PM

This information absolutely should be shared, if there is a chronic problem that could result in breaking down people need to know and if that means some will wait to buy until the problems are rectified so be it.

RLK 10-02-2013 12:11 PM

:iagree: again this is why you should really avoid buying a first year Corvette.

senah 10-02-2013 12:18 PM

the good news is that there are lemon laws and only a very small percentage have to use them.

shaan 10-02-2013 12:21 PM

:salute: That sucks

RocketGuy3 10-02-2013 12:25 PM

So many fanboys... I love the Corvette, but I absolutely want to know about these issues when they affect forum members. I want to know their experiences, and I want to get a rough gauge of how common these problems are.

But this does make me feel a bit better about holding out on my purchase, to be honest...

travisnd 10-02-2013 12:31 PM

Could be a few things:

1. Improper fluid fill level.

2. Trans line came loose and pumped all the fluid out.

3. Other

Curious to know what it ends up being.

Cruiter 10-02-2013 12:31 PM

Statement from Jim Ellis Chevy/GM Mark Frost

I'm at the dealer now and know of the issue. I've seen the PDI sheet and the sheet for that portion reads
Under Vehicle: Visually inspect underbody; check all fluid systems for leaks, brake/fuel lines secured in clips.

There is nothing re: checking the fluid.

The following is a statement from the General Manager:

"The C7 in question did not have fluid in the differential. Checking the dif for fluid is not an item on the pre-delivery checklist. The dif failed. We are recalling all C7’s delivered to date at Jim Ellis Chevrolet to check the difs and we will check all of the ones soon to arrive. An e-mail has already gone out to all dealers in Georgia to check the difs. The highest levels at Chevrolet are aware of this problem, which we think is an anomaly. The Corvette Team is all over it, having promised already to expedite an assembly immediately. Customers should be reassured by Chevrolet's swift and immediate response."
Mark Frost, General Manager & Member of the National Chevrolet Performance Car Dealer Advisory Board.

zipcode 10-02-2013 12:38 PM

sorry to hear about your friend's transmission problems but thanks for sharing.

I'm the other guy with a transmission issue (7 speed manual as well) although so far, it seems more electronics than mechanical faults at play. I've described the symptoms I experienced in post #204...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...-a-cel-11.html

if your friend can share something similar, would be a helpful guide to others if they encounter the same issues.

tolnep 10-02-2013 12:41 PM

was it a z51?

is the rear end in the z51 electronically controlled for lock up?

travisnd 10-02-2013 12:43 PM

Guys see a couple of posts up. Official word is the diff wasn't filled.

Zymurgy 10-02-2013 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cruiter (Post 1585069092)
I'm at the dealer now and know of the issue. I've seen the PDI sheet and the sheet for that portion reads
Under Vehicle: Visually inspect underbody; check all fluid systems for leaks, brake/fuel lines secured in clips.

"The C7 in question did not have fluid in the differential. Checking the dif for fluid is not an item on the pre-delivery checklist. The dif failed. We are recalling all C7’s delivered to date at Jim Ellis Chevrolet to check the difs and we will check all of the ones soon to arrive. An e-mail has already gone out to all dealers in Georgia to check the difs. The highest levels at Chevrolet are aware of this problem, which we think is an anomaly. The Corvette Team is all over it, having promised already to expedite an assembly immediately. Customers should be reassured by Chevrolet's swift and immediate response."
Mark Frost, General Manager & Member of the National Chevrolet Performance Car Dealer Advisory Board.

Wow. Actual information instead of conjecture! Great post Cruiter.

pookie 10-02-2013 12:44 PM

The 7 speed manual is all new and is likely going to have more issues than the A6.
Finally some justification for us who went with the somewhat outdated, but tried and true Auto 6 speed!
:leaving:

GOLD72 10-02-2013 12:47 PM

Excellent post and thanks for sharing.

JimEllisChevyAtlanta 10-02-2013 12:48 PM

#1. Look further down in the thread.

CaptRat 10-02-2013 12:51 PM

:iagree: Great post!

JoesC5 10-02-2013 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by pookie (Post 1585069208)
The 7 speed manual is all new and is likely going to have more issues than the A6.
Finally some justification for us who went with the somewhat outdated, but tried and true Auto 6 speed!

The differential failed do to lack of lubricant, not the transmission. Even so, the TR6070 is the same as the C6's TR6060, except for having the additional overdrive gear added. It is not a new design transmission, other than having the 7th gear added.

b4i4getit 10-02-2013 01:01 PM

Maybe the differentials are being replaced due to a problem ?

travisnd 10-02-2013 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by b4i4getit (Post 1585069357)
Maybe the differentials are being replaced due to a problem ?

Uh... I'd say no fluid isn't the fault of the differential.

pookie 10-02-2013 01:14 PM

I had a Lexus GX470 that had the same problem (No fluid in Diff). It can happen to any car manufacturer. The Car was smart enough to go into "Limp mode" (Top speed of 20MPH 2nd gear only) so there was no long term damage.

This happened at 15,000 miles when the Lexus dealer was supposed to change out the diff fluid and forgot to refill it. It's just human error.

C6MagRed 10-02-2013 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Daekwan06 (Post 1585068583)
I'm always skeptical of these "my friend" stories.

Its different when talking directly with the owner, as you get 1st hand point of view. And get the whole story, not half of it.

Oops... missed dealer post... Good to know!!!

WildVettes 10-02-2013 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by C6MagRed (Post 1585069514)
:iagree:... Not gonna believe this any more than the supposed drag strip claims without time slip....

Let the person who's car broke join the forum and post his experience, along with documentation. Otherwise its an urban legend as far as I'm concerned.

You should read a little further and have a little more faith. It has been 100% confirmed! :cheers:

sotirisf 10-02-2013 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by pookie (Post 1585069472)
I had a Lexus GX470 that had the same problem (No fluid in Diff). It can happen to any car manufacturer. The Car was smart enough to go into "Limp mode" (Top speed of 20MPH 2nd gear only) so there was no long term damage.

This happened at 15,000 miles when the Lexus dealer was supposed to change out the diff fluid and forgot to refill it. It's just human error.

Its not human error on a newly built car.
Its either stupidity at the manufacturing site for the differential, or stupidity by the factory assembling the components to a final product.
At the factory- a checklist and reasonable precautions to CHECK the product before going out are not unrealistic to expect.
WTF?!?!?! its 3000+lbs of metal with velocity and combustible fluids going on a public road with innocent bystanders!
Its crap like this that gives the government a bigger door into regulating everything, or worse a lower than whale-$hit lawyer coming in and making an example of the company.

And its really human error AND stupidity when a dealer tech forgets to put in dif fluid.

C6MagRed 10-02-2013 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by WildVettes (Post 1585069533)
You should read a little further and have a little more faith. It has been 100% confirmed! :cheers:

Funny, but you don't look anything at all like my mother or my wife:D

OnPoint 10-02-2013 01:26 PM

That sucks. Glad to hear they figured it out quickly.

plumalan 10-02-2013 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by zhopper05 (Post 1585068166)
Yeah, but at some point people are going to start buying the cars. Regardless of the magnitude of problems, which are always anticipated with new launches, I personally believe this car was rushed into production before it has reach the "Ready" threshold. But who am I to decide.

That is true how are you to be the one. This the real world folks. Things happen. Get over it.

WildVettes 10-02-2013 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by C6MagRed (Post 1585069548)
Funny, but you don't look anything at all like my mother or my wife:D

I would hope not, otherwise I am sorry for you. :rofl:

ufaj26 10-02-2013 01:36 PM

This is a great dealership!!!

I have dealt with Jim Ellis Chevy for almost 20 years and also know Mark Frost at the dealership. I have always found them to be a class act. :thumbs:

Alvin

WestPalmCorvette 10-02-2013 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by sotirisf (Post 1585069545)
Its either stupidity at the manufacturing site for the differential, or stupidity by the factory assembling the components to a final product.
At the factory- a checklist and reasonable precautions to CHECK the product before going out are not unrealistic to expect.
WTF?!?!?! its 3000+lbs of metal with velocity and combustible fluids going on a public road with innocent bystanders!
Its crap like this that gives the government a bigger door into regulating everything, or worse a lower than whale-$hit lawyer coming in and making an example of the company.

And its really human error AND stupidity when a dealer tech forgets to put in dif fluid.

I agree, it's totally unacceptable.
How errors like this occur is really mind boggling.
Very disappointing in my opinion.

lawdogg149 10-02-2013 01:48 PM

We had 5 ford crown vic patrol cars this happened to back several years ago. It wasn't on the PDI list to check either. I was driving on of them when it went out. This can be real dangerous and has caused many fires in the past. Good catch Jim Ellis

DEciiBel 10-02-2013 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by sotirisf (Post 1585069545)

The dealer does a check list. After punching it out they are DONE. Stupidity here is not questioned, who is stupid is.
It would appear it was the factory. I'm pretty sure an employee or two are about to have their butts reamed for erring like this.
As to your government issue, WTF are you a tea bagger? A car broke down. It happens get over it.
As to the OP, thanks for giving every sane individual the heads-up. All of the guys who have not accepted delivery yet can question the dealer about this.
As stated on the Ferrari forum, Corvettes are anvils. Anvils do crack sometimes.
:willy:

MikeyTX 10-02-2013 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by pewter99 (Post 1585068580)
:nonod:

And you are shaking your head sideways because ?

MikeyTX 10-02-2013 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by senah (Post 1585068970)
the good news is that there are lemon laws and only a very small percentage have to use them.

The good news is the lemon law doesn't count in this case unless GM refuses to cover it.

Aviator 10-02-2013 02:22 PM

Sorry to hear about your friend's troubles. Jim Ellis has David Fulcher as their lead Corvette mechanic, and he is fantastic. I am certain he will fix the problem, even though the C7 is brand new.

MarkRx 10-02-2013 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by texvette2 (Post 1585068294)
Hummmmmm 7 years later and a Corvette still can't make it home because of a
transmission problem

:rofl: Finally, no more crap about my GT-R LOL.

sam90lx 10-02-2013 02:27 PM

With only 2 carry over parts, is anyone really surprised by all this?

manic mike 10-02-2013 02:29 PM

I am one of the guys waiting for MY 2015 or '16 to come out for several reasons. From my perch, this is not a first year bug but human error. Just shouldn't have happened. I am sure that GM will make it right and get this car back on the road and, hopefully, a smile back on the owner's face.

MikeyTX 10-02-2013 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by sam90lx (Post 1585070185)
With only 2 carry over parts, is anyone really surprised by all this?

Nope ............. But it's only a matter of time before someone complains about their cabin air filter has mice hairs in it or the rear roof locking flip latch has peeling paint ................... :willy::ack::D

-CM- 10-02-2013 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by pookie (Post 1585069208)

You missed the post indicating the differential failed due to lack of fluid.

Jesse 10-02-2013 02:43 PM

The following is a statement from Mark Frost, General Manager & Member of the National Chevrolet Performance Car Dealer Advisory Board:

The C7 in question did not have fluid in the differential. Checking the dif for fluid is not an item on the pre-delivery checklist. The dif failed. We are recalling all C7’s delivered to date at Jim Ellis Chevrolet to check the difs and we will check all of the ones soon to arrive. An e-mail has already gone out to all dealers in Georgia to check the difs. The highest levels at Chevrolet are aware of this problem, which we think is an anomaly. The Corvette Team is all over it, having promised already to expedite an assembly immediately. Customers should be reassured by Chevrolet's swift and immediate response."

Originally Posted by Zymurgy (Post 1585069200)
Wow. Actual information instead of conjecture! Great post Cruiter.

:iagree: Thanks Cruiter for posting the "real," story :thumbs:

cwmobley 10-02-2013 02:45 PM

I am the owner of the car in this thread.

Yes the differential was in the process of failing due to the lack of lubrication. However Corvette and Jim Ellis are all over this problem. The car was delivered about 10 PM last evening and driven about 15 miles to home. I immediately called my salesperson, Reggie Stagmaier, and notified him of the problem. The car was picked up at 9 AM at my convenience today and I was notified of the cause at 11 AM and was told that a new diff was to be installed on Thursday.

I own a 09 Z06 and have owned 3 additional new c6s and 3 C5s and have only had 2 minor warranty issues. Corvette builds a great car that has no equal in quality and performance for the price charged. I have sold commercial grade HVAC equipment on large high rise buildings since 1969 from many different manufacturers. One thing that I know for sure is that any product manufactured by man and/or machine can have factory defects. What is most important is how the repairs or corrections are made. Chevy will make this right and I will eventually have an overall good experience beginning hopefully on Thursday.

It was not my intent for this issue to be posted herein. This only gives the nay sayers, bashers and lurkers an opportunity to vent.

Glen e 10-02-2013 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by cwmobley (Post 1585070390)

Yes the differential was in the process of failing due to the lack of lubrication. However Corvette and Jim Ellis are all over this problem. The car was delivered about 10 PM last evening and driven about 15 miles to home. I immediately called my salesperson, Reggie Stagmaier, and notified him of the problem. The car was picked up at 9 AM at my convenience today and I was notified of the cause at 11 AM and was told that a new diff was to be installed on Thursday.

I own a 09 Z06 and have owned 3 additional new c6s and 3 C5s and have only had 2 minor warranty issues. Corvette builds a great car that has no equal in quality and performance for the price charged. I have sold commercial grade HVAC equipment on large high rise buildings since 1969 from many different manufacturers. One thing that I know for sure is that any product manufactured by man and/or machine can have factory defects. What is most important is how the repairs or corrections are made. Chevy will make this right and I will eventually have an overall good experience beginning hopefully on Thursday.

It was not my intent for this issue to be posted herein. This only gives the nay sayers, bashers and lurkers an opportunity to vent.

nice post, thanks....

ZeeOh6Nut 10-02-2013 02:52 PM

I didn't interpret his comment as a slam but rather a simple fact of normal expectations if one wants to be of the first to get what has been redesigned. GM will fix the tranny, his C7 will be fine after the fix. My 2006 Z06 had two trips in for rear-end clutches right after delivery and a build order that took more than 6 months. The second round in they changed to another clutch design and all was well for 5 years up to and after I sold it.

Whether meant as a slam or just coaching for patience, GM will make it right! Hang with them.

Whoops, just read that it was no fluid in the diff. Nonetheless, a mistake that GM will take care of.

Glen e 10-02-2013 02:54 PM

Just out of curiosity, who is supposed to fill the diff? The supplier or BG?

sotirisf 10-02-2013 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by DEciiBel (Post 1585069837)
The dealer does a check list. After punching it out they are DONE. Stupidity here is not questioned, who is stupid is.
It would appear it was the factory. I'm pretty sure an employee or two are about to have their butts reamed for erring like this.
As to your government issue, WTF are you a tea bagger? A car broke down. It happens get over it.
As to the OP, thanks for giving every sane individual the heads-up. All of the guys who have not accepted delivery yet can question the dealer about this.
As stated on the Ferrari forum, Corvettes are anvils. Anvils do crack sometimes.
:willy:

What does politics have to do with it???
Are you looking for a fight?
There is nothing in that statement that would denote a political POV.
But it is a fact that when common sense fails, and someone gets killed b/c of it, that there is a tendency to get legislation in to regulate when you have an enterprise that effects the public safety.
Think I'm wrong? Ok- here are some examples.
Why are seatbelts in cars mandated? Because not all manufacturers would put them in crying that it would COST TOO MUCH.
I'm not saying they were right- I'm saying that the evidence was clear that they save lives but some nitwit counting fractions of pennies said no- so the government came in and said its law.
How did that become absurd? When the government came in and mandated either passive restraints or that automatic seatbelt that would snare you as you entered or exited.
Or how about the exploding gas tanks? Remember those?
My point is- if you've got standards and practices that defy common sense, and you get enough momentum at some point where the government becomes your business partner instead of being a protector of the common welfare.
Thats not a teabagger POV.
Thats just the POV of someone who's done business on three continents, and has seen enough to know.
Maybe you're just unhappy with the government shutdown and want to blame someone.
Maybe you're just unhappy period.
Too bad, I'm very happy.
Why?
Because I dont believe in either of the parties, nor am I am teabagger or tea party guy either.
I vote for both and sometimes I withhold my vote and dont vote.
My political belief is very simple.
I do whatever I can to maximize my bottom line and thats that.
I adapt to whatever philosophy dominates DC at the time; and I try to predict in advance which one is going to be in DC so I can adapt earlier.
$$$$$$$

TurrizT 10-02-2013 02:56 PM

Thats scarey, but I figure I won't be driving it much this season, so if mine has any bugs I can find them before November and they can fix everything during the winter and come spring I can enjoy my car... not a big deal if stuff gets fixed right the first time (and I don't get stranded, that would piss me off though).

avalonandl 10-02-2013 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 1585070419)
nice post, thanks....

X2 I hope this keeps the tin foil hat club at bay

Daekwan06 10-02-2013 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1585069335)
The differential failed do to lack of lubricant, not the transmission. Even so, the TR6070 is the same as the C6's TR6060, except for having the additional overdrive gear added. It is not a new design transmission, other than having the 7th gear added.

Exactly.

Reading the opinions in this thread. You would have have to call the LT1 a dud, if one failed because no oil was in the engine.

I think I just thought of another new username to sign up on CF: CantusecommonsensemustfaultC7atallcosts

jschindler 10-02-2013 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by z51vett (Post 1585068270)
Here is my 2 cents worth the rear ends, transmissions and engines are filled off site.
Either someone didn't fill rearend or trans. I don't know if assy checks fluid at the plant anymore.
z51vett
Doug

If they are filled off site, then how do they run them on the chassis dyno at the end of the production line? If you are saying they are filled before assembly, then wouldn't said check at the end of the line identify the problem?

Cruiter 10-02-2013 03:01 PM

It's looking like the supplier. It's also looking like each unit will have to be manually checked from now on. And all of the GA dealers are calling all of their delivery's back to check the tranny. This will probably happen across the country.

But it happened in 20 miles so it doesn't take long to discover the issue.

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 1585070501)

jschindler 10-02-2013 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 1585070419)
nice post, thanks....

I second that. Yes, there will be problems. The C6 had the crank bolt problem that a number of cars were afflicted with. I had two first year C6s (one a very early one) that were the most trouble free cars I have ever owned. But there will always be some teething issues.

Glen e 10-02-2013 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cruiter (Post 1585070562)
It's looking like the supplier. It's also looking like each unit will have to be manually checked from now on. And all of the GA dealers are calling all of their delivery's back to check the tranny. This will probably happen across the country.

But it happened in 20 miles so it doesn't take long to discover the issue.

I think my 13 camaro has a trans temp gauge - any of these hiding in the configurable gauges on the C7? further, is there any alerts or temps to watch? ..I realize this is a fluke. but wondering if there is any way to "feel it coming?"

Cruiter 10-02-2013 03:09 PM

Wayne,
Thank you for the very informative post. I'm a realist like you and know stuff happens. I read it on a bumper sticker once. If it didn't warranty's would not be necessary.

I saw your car this afternoon on the lift and can vouch the dealer and GM and Reggie are all over making it right for you.

Mine is an A6 and at 3400 (broadcast for production) as of last Monday so it can roll off any day now. And I'm not worried, I've owned too many cars to think things can't happen. Hope to meet you sometime at a 'Octane and Caffeine' meeting :thumbs:.

Keep the faith.

Elleby13 10-02-2013 03:10 PM

so I have about 45 miles on my car now. I would have noticed this by now if it was an issue?

Cruiter 10-02-2013 03:12 PM

I don't want to say for sure, but I think so. You'll have to pull the owners manual and check it. http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...14corvette.pdf

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 1585070587)
I think my 13 camaro has a trans temp gauge - any of these hiding in the configurable gauges on the C7? further, is there any alerts or temps to watch? ..I realize this is a fluke. but wondering if there is any way to "feel it coming?"

Glen e 10-02-2013 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Elleby13 (Post 1585070638)
so I have about 45 miles on my car now. I would have noticed this by now if it was an issue?

the diff DEMANDS oil to work, so yes, I would think you're ok...

travisnd 10-02-2013 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Elleby13 (Post 1585070638)

Yes... no gear oil in the diff will allow it to overheat and destroy itself in very short order.

Knome 10-02-2013 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by TacDoc (Post 1585068159)
Same reason so many legal ads exist. Unreal expectations that everything is perfect 100% of the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murphy's_law

:rofl:

ZL-1 10-02-2013 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Glen e (Post 1585070501)

Regardless of whether differentials arrive from the supplier complete with fluid, with the Z51 now having a diff cooler Z51 cars need fluid added at the plant to fill the cooler and lines.

petee1997 10-02-2013 04:33 PM

The surprising part is GM not having "check all fluid levels" as part of the PDI. On a completely new car you would expect GM to leave nothing to chance due to the high expectations of this car.

It's expected that there will be human errors and that is why we check and recheck especially when this is the new GM way of doing things. The is supposed to be be the Porsche destroyer.

Thankfully there is no design flaw but I hope GM will change there specs for the PDI.

ZL-1 10-02-2013 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by ByByBMW (Post 1585068339)

After many years in a large dealer service department I can report that every few years a vehicle would get out with no diff fluid. Never saw it happen with an all-new model though.

lastcowboy 10-02-2013 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by callchuck (Post 1585067967)
One of my friends who took delivery yesterday of his C7 at Jim Ellis in Atlanta and has already had transmission failure. He has the 7 speed transmission. He was driving along 400 last night when he smelled smoke and the car was slowing down with a grinding noise. He pulled over and smoke was coming out of the rear end. When he pressed in the clutch there was a bad rattling noise coming from the rear end. Anyway, the car was towed back to dealer and he still does not know what is wrong with the car. He said the parking brake was not engaged and he drove it maybe 20 miles from dealer when the failure happened. His Vin 1872 never went to Nashville.

i seen another post on here about every time they shifted it sounded like something shaking in a tin can ...............:cheers:

NSC5 10-02-2013 05:51 PM

My current 2500HD pickup came with less than 1 quart of fluid in a differential that requires a bit over 3 quarts. The oil dipstick in my CTS wasn't inserted all the way (I guess that means at least the PDI guy checked the oil level). A previous HD pickup had almost no fluid in the transfer case. Call me anal retentive but I check all fluid levels right after delivery in every new vehicle. For the dealer PDI items I seriously doubt if they use an experienced tech for such mundane tasks so I know the health of my new vehicle means far more to me than the dealership employee.

Hopefully the customer in question quickly receives his properly repaired C7. Mistakes happen as every member of the "flying roof" club can attest.

fasttoys 10-02-2013 05:57 PM

:willy:Being first is not always a WIN.. I agree I am waiting.

Crossed Flags Fan 10-02-2013 05:57 PM

Thank you for an honest, factual, open and mature update on this. :thumbs:(What a great change from the usual gloom and doom!).
Congrats on the car, good luck and keep us posted from time to time.

MEJ 10-02-2013 05:59 PM

And what? You just want to walk around with blinders on thinking the car is perfect? It's great to have this information even if it does ruin your fantasy and upset your rather weak sensibilities...

sam90lx 10-02-2013 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by fasttoys (Post 1585072246)
:willy:Being first is not always a WIN.. I agree I am waiting.

2015? Upgrades and less money?:rofl:

Bill17601 10-02-2013 06:14 PM

I want to read this trans failure from a second source. It is news worthy so let's see who else is reporting this...just because you read it on the Forum DOES NOT MAKE IT TRUE

Bill17601 10-02-2013 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by sam90lx (Post 1585072314)
2015? Upgrades and less money?:rofl:

Oh Sam...Sam...time to take the wake up call...
Would you wait six months to take delivery of your 2014 Corvette Stingray?

Well, you may not have a choice.

CarBuzz.com is reporting that demand for the incredibly popular C7 is apparently going to be so high that General Motors is now warning customers that they may have to wait up to half a year to get behind the wheel of their dream cars.

It should really come as no surprise that demand is so high. After all, the Corvette is priced so reasonably that it’s tens of thousands less than the car that GM engineers targeted, the Porsche 911, and we haven’t seen anything but positive, glowing reviews in the media.

Some customers reportedly are willing to pay $5,000 to $20,000 to reach the top spot on the delivery list at some Chevy dealerships, though we would invite potential Stingray buyers to contact the dealers on our blog who promise they will sell the cars at MSRP.

The wait could grow even longer, though, as an unidentified Chevrolet marketing manager in the report warns that overseas demand from Asia, Europe, and the Middle East appears to be just as strong as it is in the U.S.

pietro c7 10-02-2013 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by MEJ (Post 1585072278)
And what? You just want to walk around with blinders on thinking the car is perfect? It's great to have this information even if it does ruin your fantasy and upset your rather weak sensibilities...

What information?The fact is that out of 800 stingrays on the road, one was missing diff oil...no big deal.The person who it actually happened to, posted...says no big deal as well.Didn't intend to offend anyone, sorry.

Destrukt 10-02-2013 06:30 PM

To the members stating they don't want to hear, read, or see about this..... I don't know why you wouldn't. I am glad to know of problems that are occuring already. I do not plan to buy a first year model now, that is for sure.

Daekwan06 10-02-2013 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by ksowul (Post 1585072252)
Thank you for an honest, factual, open and mature update on this. :thumbs:(What a great change from the usual gloom and doom!).
Congrats on the car, good luck and keep us posted from time to time.

Like I said a few pages back. Its always good to hear the 1st hand story from the actual owner!

jimmyb 10-02-2013 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bill17601 (Post 1585072423)
I want to read this trans failure from a second source. It is news worthy so let's see who else is reporting this...just because you read it on the Forum DOES NOT MAKE IT TRUE

Post #33 (posted 6 hours ago), Differential failure due to no oil.

Jimmy

Jesse 10-02-2013 06:48 PM

Thanks for adding this info to the thread as the owner :thumbs:

Jimmy Z 10-02-2013 06:56 PM

Hey CW, sorry to hear about your problem. Don't forget you own me a ride in your C7.....I do have the pictures of you car coming off the hauler.. JJ :D