CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Process to start engine that has been sitting for a year (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/1005243-process-to-start-engine-that-has-been-sitting-for-a-year.html)

Mac78and2K 02-01-2005 09:37 AM

Process to start engine that has been sitting for a year

I found a car I would like to buy (66 coupe) but it has been sitting outside for 1 year without being cranked. Previoously it was stored inside for several years but was driven to the current spot.

What is the process for starting an engine that has been sitting for 1 year? Thanks for any help!

COMMANDER370 02-01-2005 09:55 AM

Mine sat for 12 years.I pulled the plugs and poured 1/2 cup of Marvel Mystery Oil in each hole and let set for a week or so.Easiest way was to use piece of copper tubing with a piece of flex hose and a small funnel.I then drained the oil and changed the filter.I pulled carb and put another one on hooked up to a boat gas tank since i had dropped my tank. Rolled the engine over a few times w/o battery hooked up to get the MMO off the tops of the pistons(put a towel or something over the enigne or you will end up(like i did) with the MMO all over the engine compartment.Put new plugs in and fired it up. took a little coaxing but it started. smoked and ran ragged,but it ran :cheers:

GDaina 02-01-2005 09:56 AM

Change the oil, filter....also remove the distributor and prime the motor...hope you have a long extension chord and electricity near by

2 C-3"s 02-01-2005 09:57 AM

I just Bought a 68 Vert In Novemember ---which had been sitting 10 years out side ----- my steps were--
1. Pull all plugs and valve covers and soak cylinders with dura -lube
2. Waited 3 hours - and turned engine with a breaker bar --about 1/4 inch to ensure it was not seized .
3. Removed fuel lines and hooked up a remote fuel tank -drain carb float bowls .
4. Made a tube to fit in cylinders and filled with dura -Lube again.
5. Changed oil
6. Came back next day and hooked up - a remote starter and slighlty bumped engine .
7. Contunued bumping starter until I had a full revolution --- and this I ran the starter turning the engine over untill all Lifters pumped back up.
8. After this I ran power to the distributor and fuel i the carb --- and she lived !
This may not be the way all do this ---But it worked for my 68 and now I am in full frame off resto - mode !! :cheers: .
Brian

markdtn 02-01-2005 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by GDaina
Change the oil, filter....also remove the distributor and prime the motor...hope you have a long extension chord and electricity near by

:iagree: With only a year, it should be ok with priming the oil system; then shoot some oil in the cylinders and turn it over. Should be fine.

Glassbowtie77 02-01-2005 10:33 AM

Would cranking the motor over with the power to the distributor disconnected work, without having to pull the distributor?

Mr D. 02-01-2005 10:36 AM

This all seems like overkill for a car that has only set for 1 year. From a oil standpoint there is no more or less oil in the engine or lack of on bearings then there would be if the car set for a month or 2. I could see chinging the oil if it needed it and making sure no water was in the gas (look in tank). Otherwise just crank it over to pick up oil pressure and then fire it up. I have went on 6 month deployments and fired up my vette with no problems. Just my 2 cents.

Glassbowtie77 02-01-2005 10:58 AM

My car sat for 5 yrs. by the previous owner when I went to go get it 2 yrs. ago. All I did was check the oil level and put some gas in the tank, and pour a little gas in the carb. We cranked it over a few times and it fired right up, smoked a bit and then cleared itself out and ran okay considering it needed new plugs and wires. It hasn't ran now in 2 yrs. again, and I have drained the oil replaced the oil pan and timing chain along with the timing chain cover as well. I replaced the distributor with a new Proform performance distributor, Edelbrock performer 2101, new headers, Accell 8mm wires, new AC plugs, Stewart water pump, new radiator and hoses. I am getting ready to fire it up for the first time in the next couple of weeks. I am thinking of cranking it with the hot lead to the distributor disconnected to get the oil circulated,then connecting it and firing it up. Hopefully everything will be okay when and if it starts.

CGGorman 02-01-2005 11:06 AM

I just brought a 78 El Camino out of a 2 year hibernation. Replaced dead battery, Checked the oil added a quart of Mystery Oil, Checked fuel and added two bottles of Drygas, cranked it over for a minute, No spark. Replaced plugs, wires, module, coil, cap, and rotor. Cranked for a minute, no start. Hit it with starter fluid, crank, fire. Idled it for about an hour and drove off.

GDaina 02-01-2005 11:19 AM

Gravity...that is the magical word here...gravity will force the oil on the bearings to flow through the oil passages...from the highest point to the lowest point...that is a fact..and after a few months the bearing surfaces may or may not be dry...cranking the motor on dry bearings.....I wouldn't do it...

priming the oil system...what does it take? Hours? I don't think so..the motor may or may not need to be primed, it is insurance to prolong engine life.

disconnecting the coil wire from the distributor will prime the motor, but at the same time turn the crank and the cam....if you're going to do that, just start the motor

Glassbowtie77 02-01-2005 11:24 AM

Point taken. :thumbs:
Thanks.

markdtn 02-01-2005 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by GDaina
priming the oil system...what does it take? Hours? I don't think so..the motor may or may not need to be primed, it is insurance to prolong engine life.

This is a small-journal engine presumably, it's a 66. Can you "get away" with firing it up as-is, probably. It's probably worn out anyway, but it would be good insurance to prime the oil system if it's been sitting that long.

I put a 200K+ mile Ford 302 in a truck last weekend. Engine had been sitting indoors for 2 years without being turned. I pulled the plugs and tried to move the engine, it was TIGHT!. I pulled the distribuutor and primed the oil system. You could turn the balancer by hand with some effort then. You do what you want, but it won't hurt to be safe. My .02

CorvetteCruz 05-10-2016 12:45 AM

Beautiful! AWESOME ADVICE...finally!

Originally Posted by Glassbowtie77 (Post 1549636842)
My car sat for 5 yrs. by the previous owner when I went to go get it 2 yrs. ago. All I did was check the oil level and put some gas in the tank, and pour a little gas in the carb. We cranked it over a few times and it fired right up, smoked a bit and then cleared itself out and ran okay considering it needed new plugs and wires. It hasn't ran now in 2 yrs. again, and I have drained the oil replaced the oil pan and timing chain along with the timing chain cover as well. I replaced the distributor with a new Proform performance distributor, Edelbrock performer 2101, new headers, Accell 8mm wires, new AC plugs, Stewart water pump, new radiator and hoses. I am getting ready to fire it up for the first time in the next couple of weeks. I am thinking of cranking it with the hot lead to the distributor disconnected to get the oil circulated,then connecting it and firing it up. Hopefully everything will be okay when and if it starts.

Ive spent countless hours researching about firing up my 3yr sitting Vette, (92 specifically....am I the only with this year!?) Anywho, I was smiling like a teenage girl reading the steps you took in the quote above because I felt like "change gas, oil change, turn motor manually, fire up" wasnt enough info!
Would following your steps be sufficient for my electrical haven 1992 model or would any "electrical" problems prevent it from starting up with basic swaps (gas, oil, battery/starter etc.)?

SH-60B 05-10-2016 11:57 AM

This thread is 11 years old. That guy makes about 3 posts per year. Just get a good battery in there and start it.

rdroket 05-10-2016 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mr D. (Post 1549636637)
This all seems like overkill for a car that has only set for 1 year. From a oil standpoint there is no more or less oil in the engine or lack of on bearings then there would be if the car set for a month or 2. I could see chinging the oil if it needed it and making sure no water was in the gas (look in tank). Otherwise just crank it over to pick up oil pressure and then fire it up. I have went on 6 month deployments and fired up my vette with no problems. Just my 2 cents.

:iagree:

cv67 05-10-2016 12:28 PM

None of this is necessary just turn the key it primes right now.
Keep an eye out for fuel, leaks spongy brake pedal
if alls well then drive it. Thats more than enough caution

Know its old but someone asks every week is probably viewing this as we speak.

Have had cars sit for YEARS, same thing no issues.
Drive the old gas out fill with new

Easy Mike 05-10-2016 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by CorvetteCruz (Post 1592181321)
...92 specifically....am I the only with this year!?...

Probably not, but you may have wanted to post in C4 instead for C3.
:)

LT1M21Vette 05-10-2016 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by SH-60B (Post 1592183769)
This thread is 11 years old. That guy makes about 3 posts per year.

There is always a new guy out there brave enough to bump a zombie thread to reply to someone who is long gone. :rock:

GlassBowtie77
Most Recent Message: 12-16-2010 01:29 AM

CorvetteCruz 05-11-2016 05:03 PM

shouldve worked on my Vette years ago.....

Originally Posted by LT1M21Vette (Post 1592187662)
There is always a new guy out there brave enough to bump a zombie thread to reply to someone who is long gone. :rock:

GlassBowtie77
Most Recent Message: 12-16-2010 01:29 AM

Always....if its still here its still serving its purpose right?

CorvetteCruz 05-11-2016 05:05 PM

yea you can say im crazy

Originally Posted by Easy Mike (Post 1592184241)
Probably not, but you may have wanted to post in C4 instead for C3.
:)

:banghead: countless hours of research + sleepless nights thinking of what to do next...definitely impaired SOMETHING lol Thanks for the heads up