CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Scott Shafiroff (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/1150683-scott-shafiroff.html)

Vesa 08-01-2005 03:25 AM

Scott Shafiroff

Hi

Planning a new engine for my -73 Vette and almost ending up with Shafiroffs 540 cid. Anyone having own experience on theit carte engines of short blocks off parts or service... or knowing a frien that has made business with them?

Can you trust them, are they so professional and precise as they advertize in the homepages?

BB wowbagger 08-01-2005 05:34 AM

I know of two or three people who has ordered an engine from them and they seem to be very pleased with the performance and quality.
:cheers:

gerry72 08-01-2005 06:36 AM

You are dealing with legendary Chevy performance. On the order of asking if Bill Jenkins (aka Grumpy Jenkins) knows beans about making power. Stellar reputation in the performance world.

Glensgages 08-01-2005 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Vesa
Hi

Planning a new engine for my -73 Vette and almost ending up with Shafiroffs 540 cid. Anyone having own experience on theit carte engines of short blocks off parts or service... or knowing a frien that has made business with them?

Can you trust them, are they so professional and precise as they advertize in the homepages?

Ask-around in the drag-racing section of this Forum:
I believe the guys over-there might know what you need.....

Although I have never dealt with him, I've heard he is A-1.

PatsLs1vette 08-01-2005 06:56 AM

Wheni was building oval track motors thats all i used was scotts stuff,great people do deal with.

bowtie racing 08-01-2005 11:30 AM

Shafiroff,Riolo,Reher-Morrison etc old "names" are trustworthy.They are "big" names and really know their stuff. Are you after serious race engine or just looking for a bigger crate engine? "Cheap" and reliable choise would be GM Performance crate engines. Up to 572 cid.

Vesa 08-01-2005 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by bowtie racing
Shafiroff,Riolo,Reher-Morrison etc old "names" are trustworthy.They are "big" names and really know their stuff. Are you after serious race engine or just looking for a bigger crate engine? "Cheap" and reliable choise would be GM Performance crate engines. Up to 572 cid.

I´m looking for a bigger crate for the street - of cource I also will go to 1/4 mile maybe twise a summer and also to road racing circuit maybe twise a year. GM´s 572s seem to cost around 2000$ more than slightly more powerfull but somehow comperable 540 from Shafiroff...

bowtie racing 08-02-2005 05:38 AM

GM´s 572s seem to cost around 2000$ more than slightly more powerfull but somehow comperable 540 from Shafiroff...

Sorry! Seems i havnt done homework on this. I would bet at Shafiroffs engines would cost a lot more than GMs ..

Anyway , my choise would be GM if you are after street engine.

Sharky Guam 08-02-2005 09:36 AM

Yep, Scott's motors are the choice of many a sportsman drag racer. They are one of the most reliable engine's around. One of my friend's has been running them for over a year with no problems. And he turns times in the high 8s. :thumbs:

gkull 08-02-2005 11:07 AM

I´m looking for a bigger crate for the street - of cource I also will go to 1/4 mile maybe twise a summer and also to road racing circuit maybe twise a year. GM´s 572s seem to cost around 2000$ more than slightly more powerfull but somehow comperable 540 from Shafiroff...

The GM has a realatively mild build up to to get it's 600 hp it's not straining. That's why they can give it a 24,000 mile warranty.

With either choice your going to have some problems with putting the power to the ground. with over 600 hp and 500+ ci it might be a handful out on the road courses

groovyjay 08-02-2005 03:47 PM

Nothing wrong with Shafiroff, nice people to deal with will help you to select the right stuff for your needs. Their engine kits are good, but make sure you see/ask about all their options for internals and such before ordering. Opting the Donovan alu block you can get a REALLY BIG motor, all under 700ci motors are for kids to play with! :willy: :D

brianlewis60 08-02-2005 06:55 PM

shaffiroff has street crate motors in small and BBC 540 and a 598 with tons of power and a 2 year and 24,000 mile warranty. I don't think there is any better for reliability or pure power. all of the folks there know their s&*t and they are super helpfull. I have a new super street 598 with 835 horse and 896 ftlbs and I would not buy any other motor again. I will go back to scott for all my needs in the future. I spent $11,238.67 for a complete 598 835hp/896ftlbs complete carb to pan and it even came with a case of synthetic oil and a filter. the is way cheaper than anything chevy can come close to.

Vesa 08-03-2005 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by groovyjay
Nothing wrong with Shafiroff, nice people to deal with will help you to select the right stuff for your needs. Their engine kits are good, but make sure you see/ask about all their options for internals and such before ordering. Opting the Donovan alu block you can get a REALLY BIG motor, all under 700ci motors are for kids to play with! :willy: :D

Donovan :crazy:

Vesa 08-03-2005 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by brianlewis60
shaffiroff has street crate motors in small and BBC 540 and a 598 with tons of power and a 2 year and 24,000 mile warranty. I don't think there is any better for reliability or pure power. all of the folks there know their s&*t and they are super helpfull. I have a new super street 598 with 835 horse and 896 ftlbs and I would not buy any other motor again. I will go back to scott for all my needs in the future. I spent $11,238.67 for a complete 598 835hp/896ftlbs complete carb to pan and it even came with a case of synthetic oil and a filter. the is way cheaper than anything chevy can come close to.

With that price and the charasterics of your engine :iagree: