CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Are your tires turning brown? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1165990-are-your-tires-turning-brown.html)

CULAYTR 08-20-2005 01:04 AM

Are your tires turning brown?

OK, I've been detailing my Corvettes for a number of years now and occasionally try different products. My new C6 is only 3 weeks old and only has 750 miles on it. I've only washed it 3 times so far. Just last week, I gave it its first 2 coats of wax, I tried Meguiars NXT and loved the stuff maybe more than the Zaino I've been using for the last few years. I wanted to try something new on the tires and got some Mothers FX Engineered Tire Shine. I saw it on Autogeek.net and it appeared to be among their top choices of new hi-tech synthetic products. I quote from their website "Your tires will appear “just dressed”, without turning brown". Well I washed and waxed and did the tires and everything else last Thursday. We took the car to Long Island for the weekend and it was pouring rain & thunderstorms the whole way home on Sunday. Upon washing it again yesterday, I discovered that the tires have turned brown, not just a little faded, I mean brown. The brown didn't wash off either. I was extremely hesitant to dress the tires again but I did. They look better but not really black anymore. Anybody experiencing this with these tires or can explain whats going on? How can I restore them to that nice new looking black again, they're only a few weeks old! :( Not happy...

CaptSS 08-20-2005 02:42 AM

They turn brown only when I have to drive thru the s**t that Mustangs leave when they feel the need to blow by me just to get in front of me!

gota07 08-20-2005 05:21 AM

I think I would try a different product or at least stop using the Mother's FX. Doesn't Meguiars also make a tire dressing? Might give that a shot.

Don't believe everything that mothers tell ya. :lol:

Z-51 08-20-2005 07:50 AM

I use mothers also but on my other car and yes it turns them brown . I'm looking for something else now .

Corvette Junkie 08-20-2005 07:51 AM

I've had my C6 for 8 months and 7000 mile with no browing at all. Only use Zaino's Perfect Tire Gloss.

Killrwheels@Autogeek 08-20-2005 08:00 AM

I believe the Jason used that quote directly from Mothers, and Forrest on the forum would be a better choice of contact on his product. (I have not used it)

For our top products, we consider our Pinnacle, Wolfgang, and DP to be some of the best. That said from personal experience I also use 303 Protectant and Poorboys Bright and Bold consistently. No brown tires .... which is usually a sign that low grade silicones were used prior. I do wash the tires weekly, just like the wheels.

In the car care section I just put up a "how to" on tire and wheel care. Please stop by and take a look. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...68&forum_id=10

vetteman22 08-20-2005 08:02 AM

my tires son't last long enough to turn brown :rofl:

Scruff Vette 08-20-2005 08:15 AM

Try Stoners tire dressing. It's an aresol that I apply with a sponge type applicator. :cheers:

Preciouslady 08-20-2005 10:08 AM

:) I have discovered the Armor-all (sp) wipes. They come in a pop-up plastic bottle. Very easy to use and it doesn't make the tires look all wet, just a nice shine. With these, you don't have to worry about that nasty back spray from a bottle.

hlcptr 08-20-2005 10:10 AM

I use Turtle Wax Tire Wax and like it a lot. It is inexpensive, easy to apply, and does not sling off. It leaves a nice semi-gloss, natural looking appearance. No brown here.

:thumbs:

clem zahrobsky 08-20-2005 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by CULAYTR
OK, I've been detailing my Corvettes for a number of years now and occasionally try different products. My new C6 is only 3 weeks old and only has 750 miles on it. I've only washed it 3 times so far. Just last week, I gave it its first 2 coats of wax, I tried Meguiars NXT and loved the stuff maybe more than the Zaino I've been using for the last few years. I wanted to try something new on the tires and got some Mothers FX Engineered Tire Shine. I saw it on Autogeek.net and it appeared to be among their top choices of new hi-tech synthetic products. I quote from their website "Your tires will appear “just dressed”, without turning brown". Well I washed and waxed and did the tires and everything else last Thursday. We took the car to Long Island for the weekend and it was pouring rain & thunderstorms the whole way home on Sunday. Upon washing it again yesterday, I discovered that the tires have turned brown, not just a little faded, I mean brown. The brown didn't wash off either. I was extremely hesitant to dress the tires again but I did. They look better but not really black anymore. Anybody experiencing this with these tires or can explain whats going on? How can I restore them to that nice new looking black again, they're only a few weeks old! :( Not happy...

the "brown" is mold release used durring the manufacturing process. that is what turns the brake fluid and clutch flouid dark,the mold release use when making the rubber parts of the system. my dirt bikes and my quads did the same thing,turned the brake fluid dark

DP Dave 08-20-2005 11:30 AM

Following a Corvette get together (close to 200 cars) last Sunday in San Diego I noticed my tires were turning brown however I believe it was due to the dirt we had to go through to park the car!

:lol: :lol:

8,300 miles and they still look black to me!

:cool: :cool:

CULAYTR 08-20-2005 01:39 PM

Thanks for all the input everybody, I guess I need to try another product.

Firedog 08-20-2005 02:19 PM

Why try ANY product on your tires? Just give them a good scrubbing with soap and water...

rbranvold 08-20-2005 04:21 PM

303 Protectant :thumbs: www.303products.com Not much shine, lots of UV protection.

TJsToy 08-20-2005 04:52 PM

Wow. Haven't had that problem. Time to move to another product... :thumbs:

arcticblast 08-20-2005 05:48 PM

Black Magic has worked fine for me, with no discoloration.

Datawiz 08-20-2005 05:56 PM

Heck, I still use "Armor All"...remember that? Works for me, just spray it into a rag and wipe it on. :smash: 7,800 miles and no brown here.

Datawiz 08-20-2005 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by vetteman22
my tires son't last long enough to turn brown :rofl:

Hey, I resemble that :D

AMF 08-20-2005 06:40 PM

These tires are turning brown. http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...cco/manure.jpg