CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   '62 Conversion on a C5 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/1189656-62-conversion-on-a-c5.html)

Bowtie67 09-19-2005 10:37 AM

'62 Conversion on a C5

I had the privledge to spend the weekend at Funfest in Effingham. While there, I looked at the prototype of a '62 conversion on a C5. The car is basically a totally reskinned C5 made to closely resemble a '62. It shares this concept of the '53 conversion that has been around a couple of years.
This '62 conversion just blew me away! The craftsmanship of this conversion was phenominal. Can anyone share their thoughts?
By the way, the Funfest was quite a show. Estimates of 12,000 plus cars! The Beach Boys put on a great show Saturday night.

76rich 09-19-2005 11:09 AM

I was there as well and the conversion fit the look of the car much better than the earlier model did. It was beautiful and quite a conversation piece. I don't think these conversions are really what the public wants in a new vehicle, but for a small niche this one seems to hit the nail on the head. It is hard to design a car today that really captures that classic look we are all searching for. I don't even know if it is possible. Of course, I might be a bit biased.
Richard

Bill J 09-19-2005 11:52 AM

Got any photos or the name of the company?

Bowtie67 09-19-2005 12:32 PM

The name of the company is Classic Reflection Coachworks in Lakewood, Washington.
Their website is: www.crcoachworks.com I have some pictures if someone wants to post them form me. Send me a PM.

JoesC5 09-19-2005 01:19 PM

Looks like they did a great job. The only thing that really jumps out at you is the laid back windshield, other then that the car does look like a '62.

GaryS 09-19-2005 02:53 PM

To me, this is the best of both worlds. While I am an NCRS guy, I do NOT like the 97 and later cars. This way, you get a retro/classic look with some amazing mechanicals to back it up. Imagine, a 62 look with a great powerplant, six speed transmission, and 25+ mpg. All with the reliability and performance of this amazing engine.
Gary

splidecision63 09-25-2005 08:03 PM

When I Saw Mpg U Caught My Eye. I have A 59 2x4 And Get 11 Mpg. Is This Normal? I Have Had The Carbs Adjusted Twice By Two Different Mechanics. Any Suggestions?
Geroge
PLEAS E MAIL REMETTER00@AOL.COM

jrs 427 09-25-2005 08:25 PM

Their home page doesn't say much about prices or if you can buy the bolt on pieces and assemble it yourself. It also mentions your doner must be complete. They must keep the stock panels or why would they need them? When the c-5 convert exterior panels are removed it looks like a converted pick up. How would you title this... a 98 / 62 corvette or would you have to note the conversion on the title ?

JohnZ 09-26-2005 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by jrs 427
Their home page doesn't say much about prices or if you can buy the bolt on pieces and assemble it yourself. It also mentions your doner must be complete. They must keep the stock panels or why would they need them? When the c-5 convert exterior panels are removed it looks like a converted pick up. How would you title this... a 98 / 62 corvette or would you have to note the conversion on the title ?

You don't have to re-title it - the C5 you send them is already titled and has a VIN; the conversion doesn't affect that. It's a turnkey package - they do the conversion and assembly - they don't sell the parts. They keep the stock panels they remove and sell them to body shops as collision replacements - priced GM replacement C5 body panels lately? :eek: :willy:

jrs 427 09-26-2005 09:45 PM

John Z. You may run into a problem, at least in Wisconsin. If you have a replica of something it is noted on the title. Can you imagine a trooper running the plates of an appearing 62 vette and have it come back as a 2004 corvette? I don't believe those kits will be too popular. The resale value would certainly take a dive. Might be kinda amusing if you had both sets of panels and could return the car to stock.

62fuelie 09-27-2005 12:09 AM

John Z. You may run into a problem, at least in Wisconsin. If you have a replica of something it is noted on the title. Can you imagine a trooper running the plates of an appearing 62 vette and have it come back as a 2004 corvette? I don't believe those kits will be too popular. The resale value would certainly take a dive. Might be kinda amusing if you had both sets of panels and could return the car to stock.

That's no more a replica of anything than a VW with a Rolls Royce kit installed. More like a Nissan with a ground effect kit than a replica. The aftermarket coach work should have no effect on the title of the vehicle.

JohnZ 09-27-2005 12:17 PM

It's not a "replica" like a kit car made from an assemblage of donor parts, which is a different animal - it's just a conversion applied to an existing car that's already titled, not unlike the '53 Commemorative body conversion done to C5's by AAT, and doesn't affect the car's legal existence/description. It's not a "kit" - you give them your C5, and they do the VERY expensive conversion and return it to you finished. :thumbs:

im20agn 09-29-2005 12:42 PM

What it's all about

My company, Woodland Trade Co. Inc., did the tool design and mold work for this Modification. The company that's doing the Mod is located in Washington State. It is a first class operation. The design was done using 62 after market parts modified to fit the C5 when the look was right a division of the Boeing Company that does 3D point scanning came down to digitize the surface. They then put this point data into their CAD system (CATIA) and began designing the inner panels to fit the outer panels and the C5 frame. The molds are made from a type of laminate that withstands elevated temperature.

The laminate system that's used for the parts is the same system used on the McClarin cars it is a pre-impregnated fiberglass with an epoxy resin system the lay-up is vacuum bagged to the mold and the parts are cured in the mold at 230 degrees F for 4 hours. The parts are de-molded and the inner and outer skins are bonded together.

The company has about 60 orders that's approx. two years at about 38 cars per year. So if your thinking about ordering one better get on the list and start looking for a C5 donor car now

The paint used is Spies Hecker paint. If you get on their website, you can see a picture of Mine, it's the Teal blue with white coves, I know the coves weren't painted in 62 but I liked the look so what the heck.

The third car is scheduled for completion today so you will probably see pictures of all three cars within the next month on the website

www.crcoachworks.com :cheers:

Tom/99 09-29-2005 12:47 PM

I've seen a picture of one, it does look good.

K2 09-29-2005 06:03 PM

im20agn, you did an incredible job on the design. I saw the red one at Puyallup last Feb. I was very impressed in that everything looked totally factory with no areas that looked to be home built or cobbled. My wife loved it too. Your blue one looks very classy!!
Congratulations on a job very well done. :cheers: