CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Garage curtain - any ideas? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1225077-garage-curtain-any-ideas.html)

Vet 11-02-2005 07:16 PM

Garage curtain - any ideas?

I was thinking I'd like to hang some type of "curtain" between the two bays of my garage. The goal is to keep the C6 hidden when the garage door of the other bay is open. Sometimes my wife leaves her garage door open for a long time when she's working in the yard etc, and this exposes my C6 garage bay to anyone walking down the street. I'd rather not have the whole universe know there's a C6 in my garage. If I can hang a "curtain" between the two bays, my C6 will always be secure from curious eyes.

I've ruled out using a car cover on the car. Any car enthusiast will still be able to tell there's a serious car under the cover. As well, I'll be usng the car often and it will be dirty much of the time. I'm not into throwing a car cover over a dirty car.

My biggest concern is the type of material to use for such a garage "curtain". I'd like to stay away from anything flamable. At the same time, the material must be pliable.. I don't want a solid "wall" there. As well, I'd want to be able to push the whole thing aside at will if I wish. I'm thinking something like a hospital curtain.

Or maybe some type of roll down blinds??? Can't be too heavy though, otherwise they could blow in the wind and hit the car. A material curtain would probably be best since it can't hurt the car.

Anyone have any experience with this? Any products out there for this purpose?

I did see one product... it was a garage curtain, but was transparent... not helpful to my goal.

Thanks

V Vette 11-02-2005 07:18 PM

Curtains Batman!

vetteman22 11-02-2005 07:20 PM

why worry about it,thats what you carry insurance for.A curtain would look kind of hokey.

tombachmann 11-02-2005 07:25 PM

Where do you wash your car? Isn't it seen then? It is hard to keep a Vette a secret in any neighborhood. Be proud you own it1

Builderrick 11-02-2005 07:32 PM

We made some so called curtains similiar to this a few years ago in my shop. We used the standard blue tarps and sewed weights in the bottom with one of those small hand held sewing machines. They stayed in place pretty well except on a very windy day with the big garage doors open.

Ego-Trip 11-02-2005 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Builderrick
We made some so called curtains similiar to this a few years ago in my shop. We used the standard blue tarps and sewed weights in the bottom with one of those small hand held sewing machines. They stayed in place pretty well except on a very windy day with the big garage doors open.

I did the same. I used a small twisted cable (about 1/8") and strung it from one end of the garage to the other. I used eye bolts on each end and a turn-buckle to put some tension in the cable. Then, I just used generic metal shower curtain hooks to hang the tarp. I may have had $15 invested. I used it as a divider between my 2 car bay and my single car bay. The single car side is my "work shop" so it kept the 2 sides divided. Then, since it was just a big curtain I could slide it back when I didnt want it there. Pretty easy and a lot less permanant than building a wall.

pdqz06 11-02-2005 07:51 PM

go to any paint store like sherwin or kwal or ? i dont know where your at, but never the less, tell them you want a set of zip walls or just go to yahoo and type in zip wall. they go up and down in minutes, have hudreds of uses, use black poly as your "curtain".........you'll thank me later :cheers:

DP Dave 11-02-2005 08:01 PM

Hide your wife's car, be proud of your Corvette. Keep it washed, polished and "Show It Off!"

Better yet don't garage it, drive it!

:flag: :flag:

jim213 11-02-2005 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by vetteman22
why worry about it,thats what you carry insurance for.A curtain would look kind of hokey.

:iagree: plus it probably will be a pain to use. The "bad" guys may end up being more curious wondering what you are hiding.

:)

markbrown 11-02-2005 08:51 PM

get a drape with the picture of a pinto rear end painted on it.

az sheriff 11-02-2005 09:30 PM

Use closet pole(wood) and the brackets that are sold at home depot. You can mount the brackets to the ceiling and utilize pole type curtains that you can buy at target etc. depending upon the height of you garage ceiling the max length you can get is 95". Penneys is also an option and has the best selection for the drapes .Isn't Penneys a forum vendor????? :yesnod:

SCModerator 11-03-2005 12:30 AM

Do you have a Griot's Garage catalog? They sell something like what you want.

I'm sure they have a website too. Probably www.griotsgarage.com .

Gregg.

rmitchell242 11-03-2005 02:39 AM

:willy: you are not for real ...... i think he is for real
its a car in your garage do you do a fly by down your street before you pull in your garage to make sure no one is looking then come back around and whip her in all stealth like

man i can see this in my mind its good...real good

all kidding aside maybe you can get a car cover for it if you are worried about it :thumbs:

Skatduder 11-03-2005 02:51 AM

I have rentals and sometimes separate the bays. There is not enough room between the roll up doors to frame. So I use wire conduit poles, connectors, and electrical boxes. Screw the boxes in each corner and then use the connectors and poles to make a frame. Then use a tarp with grommets and wire tie it to the frame. They also sell grommet repair kits if the tarp is not the correct size. It’s a false sense of security but it works. Under a $100. I buy the heavy, light grey (cement color) ones at Fred Meyers. Want a picture? Drop me an email. Also you could get welding screens with frames, but the legs maybe to long.

JmpnJckFlsh 11-03-2005 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by rmitchell242
:willy: you are not for real ...... i think he is for real
its a car in your garage do you do a fly by down your street before you pull in your garage to make sure no one is looking then come back around and whip her in all stealth like

man i can see this in my mind its good...real good

all kidding aside maybe you can get a car cover for it if you are worried about it :thumbs:

Yep, I agree...Car cover. Either way, it's going to drive you freakin' nuts until the new wears off.

c64lucky 11-03-2005 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Vet
I was thinking I'd like to hang some type of "curtain" between the two bays of my garage. The goal is to keep the C6 hidden when the garage door of the other bay is open. Sometimes my wife leaves her garage door open for a long time when she's working in the yard etc, and this exposes my C6 garage bay to anyone walking down the street. I'd rather not have the whole universe know there's a C6 in my garage. If I can hang a "curtain" between the two bays, my C6 will always be secure from curious eyes.

I've ruled out using a car cover on the car. Any car enthusiast will still be able to tell there's a serious car under the cover. As well, I'll be usng the car often and it will be dirty much of the time. I'm not into throwing a car cover over a dirty car.

My biggest concern is the type of material to use for such a garage "curtain". I'd like to stay away from anything flamable. At the same time, the material must be pliable.. I don't want a solid "wall" there. As well, I'd want to be able to push the whole thing aside at will if I wish. I'm thinking something like a hospital curtain.

Or maybe some type of roll down blinds??? Can't be too heavy though, otherwise they could blow in the wind and hit the car. A material curtain would probably be best since it can't hurt the car.

Anyone have any experience with this? Any products out there for this purpose?

I did see one product... it was a garage curtain, but was transparent... not helpful to my goal.

Thanks

Why not get some 2X4's, Drywall & a Door w/Jam and just build a Wall! Probably about the same cost. You got a private Garage!

C64Lucky

AceVentura 11-03-2005 11:25 AM

Make a full size profile of a police cruiser. Place it next to your C6.

rosemaryburm 11-03-2005 11:31 AM

1. Go to a junkyard, take ultra-high res photo of Subaru Justy or Daihatsu Rocky. (Hint: If the guy who owns the junkyard has three teeth and is wearing a Betty Boop muscle shirt, you'll probably find the Justy in his personal parking spot.) As a bonus, ask the guy in the muscle shirt to sit in one of the Justy's rear seats for the photo, with his mixed-breed pit bull and his 12 gauge in his lap -- trust me, he has a 12 gauge and a pit bull.

2. Go to nearest mega-mart store, buy cheap bed sheet of color that closely matches garage wall paint and size that will fill the opening you want to hide.

3. Take photo disc and sheet to sign shop, have them print Justy onto the sheet -- most sign makers have giant roller-type printers that can print stuff that big. (May have to go with some sort of coated fabric to put through the giant sign printer, so check with sign guy before you invest big in the sheet.)

4. Put grommets along top edge of sheet, hang from wire strung across garage opening.

Viola!