CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Competition Mode? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1267165-competition-mode.html)

shagsC6 12-28-2005 10:09 AM

Competition Mode?

Does anyone actually use this? Why should the Vette even have it???
Just want to add that im a new owner of a c6 this month and haven't really got the chance to enjoy it yet.....Weather... :thumbs:

RBYCC 12-28-2005 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by shagsC6
Just want to add that im a new owner of a c6 this month and haven't really got the chance to enjoy it yet.....Weather... :thumbs:

The "competition" mode allows more driver input over the computer, but will keep you out of trouble if you begin to lose control !!! :cheers:

dstelbrink 12-28-2005 10:32 AM

If you auto cross your car it lets the driver have a little more controll of the car but doesn't turn traction controll off completely. It will let you take the back end out before the computers start to correct for your errors. With everything turned off you can just to 360's and look like a "drifter".

Gearhead Jim 12-28-2005 10:35 AM

MAY keep you out of trouble if you begin to lose control.

As Dave Hill said, the system works well to help you but it can't overcome the laws of physics.

Use the AH/TC systems on the car like a warning- if they kick in it means you were trying to exceed your traction limits for those conditions.
Maybe that's OK for the particular circumstances, but you should be thinking about what it means.

I use the default "On" for wet roads, "Competition" for fun daily driving or road courses, and "Off" for autocrossing.

haljensen 12-28-2005 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by dstelbrink
If you auto cross your car it lets the driver have a little more controll of the car but doesn't turn traction controll off completely. It will let you take the back end out before the computers start to correct for your errors. With everything turned off you can just to 360's and look like a "drifter".

Competition mode DOES turn Traction Control off, it modifies the Active Handling settings to allow more driver control.

famous1 12-28-2005 11:17 AM

I drive in this mode each time I start her. (Two quick depressions of the button.) I go back to default only when I get onto a freeway. When I first got the C6, I was pulling out of a fuel station and there was a little water at the approach to the street. When I pulled out I needed to give it a little gas to get out of the way of a car changing from the number 1 land to the lane I was entering. She fell flat on her face when the traction control shut her down. I didn't like it, so now I drive her all the time on competition mode.

C6-CYa 12-28-2005 11:37 AM

Drag racing...

:thumbs:

Lazerwolfe 12-28-2005 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by shagsC6

Why shouldn't it?

NHRA397 12-28-2005 11:57 AM

When I go to competion mode the dash tells me the traction control is back on.

jim213 12-28-2005 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by haljensen
Competition mode DOES turn Traction Control off, it modifies the Active Handling settings to allow more driver control.

:iagree:

3 Z06ZR1 12-28-2005 12:08 PM

Too. much gas 3000 pounds 430 crank hp
Comp mode is a good thing :thumbs: saved many from diaster :cheers:

calemasters 12-28-2005 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by haljensen

:iagree: From the OM, page 4-11:

Competitive Driving Mode
The driver can select this optional handling mode by
pressing the ACTIVE HANDLING button on the console
two times within a five second time period. A chime
will sound and COMPETITIVE DRIVING MODE will be
displayed in the DIC. Competitive Driving Mode
allows the driver to have full control of the rear wheels
while the Active Handling System helps steer the
vehicle by selective brake application. The instrument
cluster light will not be on. The Traction Control System
will not be operating. Adjust your driving accordingly.
When you press the ACTIVE HANDLING button again,
or turn the ignition to ACC, the Active Handling and
Traction Control Systems will be on. The TRACTION
SYSTEM AND ACTIVE HANDLING-ON message will
be displayed temporarily in the DIC and a chime will
be heard.

Buffy 12-28-2005 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by famous1
... She fell flat on her face when the traction control shut her down. I didn't like it, so now I drive her all the time on competition mode.

That's funny - mine doesn't do that, although I'd expected it would. TC will limit the wheelspin, but it doesn't just cut it off. And I can get fairly sideways in "normal" mode. Haven't had much need for competition mode on the street.

blkc6z51 12-28-2005 12:39 PM

Turn it all off if you autocross, you want to do the driving you will go faster with out it. :thumbs: