CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   1979 Convertible?????? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/1280169-1979-convertible.html)

George Dickel 01-12-2006 09:51 PM

1979 Convertible??????

Ran across what the guy says is a 1979 convertible. Only able to view one picture taken from the front. Looks like a late front cap and it is definately a convertible. Seeing as how 75 was the last year for convertibles is this a mistake on his part on the year or is it possibly an aftermarket custom job? How would this affect the structural rigidity if it is custom work? Maybe someone put a late front cap on a 74 or75?

Z-man 01-12-2006 09:57 PM

There were definitely aftermarket jobs that really weren't too bad. Rigidity probably isn't any worse than stock convertibles.

markdtn 01-12-2006 10:33 PM

They appear from time to time. Much of the structure of a C3 is in the frame, so convertible conversions are not too flimsey.

I have a 71 convertible tail clip that is basically just a tub I tried to give away when I moved. I couldn't bear to cut it up so I moved it and it is sitting in the side yard. If anyone is interested in it......

JustForFun 01-12-2006 10:34 PM

duntov in 1980 offered a vert. good many of them were sold. ACI supplied the fiberglass

TonySinclair 01-12-2006 10:37 PM

There's someone here with a very nice conversion...(FrankenVette?). '81 I believe...

Black 80 01-13-2006 07:28 AM

1979 Convertible??????

Originally Posted by markdtn
They appear from time to time. Much of the structure of a C3 is in the frame, so convertible conversions are not too flimsey.

I have a 71 convertible tail clip that is basically just a tub I tried to give away when I moved. I couldn't bear to cut it up so I moved it and it is sitting in the side yard. If anyone is interested in it......

Where is the rear clip at??? I would be interested.

Frankenvette 01-13-2006 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by TonySinclair
There's someone here with a very nice conversion...(FrankenVette?). '81 I believe...

Thanks for the compliment. Yes I have a 1980 vert and love it. There are two ways to make a late model vert. One is to take an original vert and put late model body panels on it. The other is to take a late model vette and cut it into a vert. So your friend with the 79 is not mistaken... just not a factory option.

As for integrity, it does shake a lot. I hope to add a roll bar in the future which should help. Maybe a shock tower brace as well. I'll take a little shake as a trade off to the open air.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeo3oxl/s...orvettepic.jpg

George Dickel 01-13-2006 09:18 AM

I'm going to go look at it on Sunday, might possibly buy it if the actual condition matches his description. If it was an aftermarket conversion what are the chances of obtaining parts if something breaks? I'm looking at an 82 CE but I'm a bit wary because of the one year model parts availability problems. Am I looking at the same thing with this 79? I'd really like a convertible but not if something breaks and I have to spend a bunch of money to have a part custom made.

JustForFun 01-13-2006 10:03 AM

There will be an 81 vert joining the ranks here soon :thumbs:

Frankenvette 01-13-2006 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by George Dickel
I'm going to go look at it on Sunday, might possibly buy it if the actual condition matches his description. If it was an aftermarket conversion what are the chances of obtaining parts if something breaks? I'm looking at an 82 CE but I'm a bit wary because of the one year model parts availability problems. Am I looking at the same thing with this 79? I'd really like a convertible but not if something breaks and I have to spend a bunch of money to have a part custom made.

You really need to understand how the conversion was made... factory or aftermarket panels. My rear clip is an aftermarket part but I'm not aware of anyone who still makes this. If I had to replace, I could probably make an original clip from a 74 or 75 fit. Most likely everthing is oem. Not something I'm to worried about.

JustForFun 01-13-2006 10:13 AM

there are still companies that make the conversion pieces. ACI, Vancours, and couple others. The biggest advantage of using the custom pieces it prevents you from having to relocate/exchange the gas tank. Ill post some pics of mine soon.

Jims79 01-13-2006 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Frankenvette
You really need to understand how the conversion was made... factory or aftermarket panels. My rear clip is an aftermarket part but I'm not aware of anyone who still makes this. If I had to replace, I could probably make an original clip from a 74 or 75 fit. Most likely everthing is oem. Not something I'm to worried about.

Jim I like your vert also, do you or anyone know who makes or create verts from stock vette's. Would love to chg my 79 into a BB vert. :thumbs:

spikezz4 01-13-2006 10:25 AM

C3 Convertible

I hope to have a 1977 convertible join the crowd next year!

Spike

JustForFun 01-13-2006 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jims79
Jim I like your vert also, do you or anyone know who makes or create verts from stock vette's. Would love to chg my 79 into a BB vert. :thumbs:

Magnum Collison Near Atlanta Ga did mine. If you would like thier number and location let me know. they do EXCELLENT work.

Frankenvette 01-13-2006 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jims79

I think most any competent vette resto shop can perform the conversion. Or in the case of Justforfun a good body shop. Corvette Paramedics is located near Cherry Hill, NJ in think. I've been there once about 2 years ago. I have heard good things about them but they are on the $$$ side.

Frankenvette 01-13-2006 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by JustForFun
there are still companies that make the conversion pieces. ACI, Vancours, and couple others. The biggest advantage of using the custom pieces it prevents you from having to relocate/exchange the gas tank. Ill post some pics of mine soon.

I did not know anyone still makes these parts. Good to know :thumbs: Look forward to seeing some pics.

Paul L 01-13-2006 10:56 AM

Here is a 1980 beside my 1967.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...rnwall_006.jpg

Another view at a different Club event.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...fy97/Ctc17.jpg

A big (454) surprise under the hood.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...fy97/Ctc15.jpg

Toms82 01-13-2006 11:14 AM

79 vert

Wow, that is a great looking car!!! :eek:
Tom

markdtn 01-13-2006 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Black 80
Where is the rear clip at??? I would be interested.

Chattanooga, Tennessee.

George Dickel 01-13-2006 01:20 PM

Thanks for the information and advice. I feel much better about the conversion. Hopefully it will be as good as the owner describes.