CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   how to adjust roof? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/1294463-how-to-adjust-roof.html)

vette0067 01-29-2006 12:36 PM

how to adjust roof?

Anybody have details on how to adjust the roof on a coupe? I see a couple of screws on the front of the top but cannot get to one of them because the handle is in the way. I think on the back latch, I can unscrew the plastic part around the latch but am uncertain if that it the correct thing to do. My top is creaking an awful lot from the front right corner and I'd like to adjust it a bit.

leaftye 01-29-2006 12:41 PM

If I remember correctly, and the back of the roof, the hook is threaded, but you must unscrew a set screw first. I'm not sure about the front, but I doubt adjustment is your problem.

You need to get a tube of dielectric grease from any auto parts store and grease up the weatherstripping. Do the roof, doors, trunk and trunk stops, hood and hood stops.....you'll be amazed about how quiet your car gets!

vette0067 01-29-2006 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by leaftye
If I remember correctly, and the back of the roof, the hook is threaded, but you must unscrew a set screw first. I'm not sure about the front, but I doubt adjustment is your problem.

You need to get a tube of dielectric grease from any auto parts store and grease up the weatherstripping. Do the roof, doors, trunk and trunk stops, hood and hood stops.....you'll be amazed about how quiet your car gets!

Forgot to metion - I already applied the dielectic grease yesterday and it did a great job. I still hear the creaking on the front right side and want to see if I can adjust the roof to lessen it. :cheers:

screw991le 01-29-2006 02:25 PM

Roof Lift Off Panel Adjustment
1. Perform one or more of the following five adjustment procedures to properly align the roof lift off panel.

2. To adjust the front striker for up down roof alignment perform the following steps:
3. Remove the windshield upper garnish molding. Refer to Windshield Upper Garnish Molding Replacement in Interior Trim.
A. For major up down roof adjustment loosen the striker bolts and reposition the latch striker up or down.
B. For minor up or down roof adjustment loosen the striker outboard bolt and slightly loosen the inboard bolt, pivot the striker on the inboard bolt in 2 mm (0.08 in) increments up or down.
Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
C. Tighten the striker bolts. Tighten
Tighten the roof front latch handle striker bolts to 10 N•m (89 lb in).
D. When the striker is properly adjusted the handle will snap closed.
4. Install the windshield upper garnish molding. Refer to Windshield Upper Garnish Molding Replacement in Interior Trim.

5. To adjust the front latch handle forward or rearward perform the following steps:
. Loosen the latch handle bolts.
A. Position the latch handle forward or rearward. Maintain a minimum of 2 mm (0.08 in) clearance between latch handle and the latch striker to avoid squeaks and rattles.
B. Assure the latch handle base is parallel to the striker to provide clearance to the sunshade mirror door.
C. Tighten the latch handle bolts. Tighten
Tighten the roof front latch handle bolts to 13 N•m (10 lb ft).

6. For major rear latch adjustment adjust the rear latch striker performing the following steps:
A. Remove the roof lift off panel.
B. Remove the roof bow center interior trim panel. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Rear Roof Bow in Interior Trim.
C. Loosen the rear latch striker attaching bolts.
D. Adjust the position of the latch striker forward or rearward for major adjustment.
E. Tighten the striker attaching bolts. Tighten
Tighten the roof rear striker bolts to 10 N•m (89 lb in).
F. Install the roof lift off panel.

7. For minor rear latch adjustment, adjust the latch handle hook one turn at a time to achieve moderate pressure to the latch as follows.
. Remove the roof lift off panel.
A. Loosen the set screw locking the latch hook.
B. Turn the hook in to tighten or out to loosen.
C. Tighten the set screw.
D. Install the roof panel.

8. To adjust the rear locator perform the following steps:
. With the roof installed on the vehicle loosen the locator mounting bolts.
A. Reposition the locator.
B. Tighten the mounting bolts. Tighten
Tighten the roof rear locator to locator bracket bolts to 10 N•m (89 lb in).
© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

vette0067 01-29-2006 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by screw991le
1. Perform one or more of the following five adjustment procedures to properly align the roof lift off panel.

2. To adjust the front striker for up down roof alignment perform the following steps:
3. Remove the windshield upper garnish molding. Refer to Windshield Upper Garnish Molding Replacement in Interior Trim.
A. For major up down roof adjustment loosen the striker bolts and reposition the latch striker up or down.
B. For minor up or down roof adjustment loosen the striker outboard bolt and slightly loosen the inboard bolt, pivot the striker on the inboard bolt in 2 mm (0.08 in) increments up or down.
Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
4. Install the windshield upper garnish molding. Refer to Windshield Upper Garnish Molding Replacement in Interior Trim.

5. To adjust the front latch handle forward or rearward perform the following steps:
A. Position the latch handle forward or rearward. Maintain a minimum of 2 mm (0.08 in) clearance between latch handle and the latch striker to avoid squeaks and rattles.
B. Assure the latch handle base is parallel to the striker to provide clearance to the sunshade mirror door.

6. For major rear latch adjustment adjust the rear latch striker performing the following steps:
B. Remove the roof bow center interior trim panel. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Rear Roof Bow in Interior Trim.
D. Adjust the position of the latch striker forward or rearward for major adjustment.

7. For minor rear latch adjustment, adjust the latch handle hook one turn at a time to achieve moderate pressure to the latch as follows.

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for! :cheers: :thumbs:

screw991le 01-29-2006 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by vette0067
Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for! :cheers: :thumbs:

Welcome :cheers:

mqqn 01-29-2006 08:24 PM

Hi screw991le -

Our 99 coupe is creaking something fierce over our local bumpy roads.

Would adjusting the rear latch help resolve this? It seems to come from the front drivers-side corner of the roof.

I already use weatherstrip-grease.

I can get the noise to subside temporarily by unlatching and then re-latching the drivers side front.

best regards -

mqqn

mph1972 01-29-2006 08:56 PM

Notice

Great info! :thumbs:

Another reason I love this forum!

screw991le 01-29-2006 10:25 PM

Yes you can use this method. The grease is to keep the seals from drying out. Remember a dime size of grease will do ALL the top's WS :cheers:

mqqn 01-29-2006 10:53 PM

Yes you can use this method. The grease is to keep the seals from drying out. Remember a dime size of grease will do ALL the top's WS :cheers:

Hi screw991le -

Thanks!

I have been using silicone grease on my weatherstripping for years. Works like a charm ast keeping the stuff pliable, and on my trucks, it keeps the doors from freezing shut in the winter.

I'll try messing with the rear latch on Maggies coupe and see if that takes care of the creaking.

best regards -

mqqn