CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] Z06 Tires - which is best? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/1356951-z06-tires-which-is-best.html)

RD in SD 04-06-2006 02:45 AM

Z06 Tires - which is best?

What is the best street tire for my 2006 Z06. Many of the test I have read etiher do not include the F1 Supercar EMT or rank it very low. My past experience with factory vette tires tells me that the Goodyears are not the best handling. I will drive on the street not at the track and I do not care much about wet handling as I live in San Diego. I do care about cornering, braking, comfort and noise.

I can't seem to find a decent test that covers ultra performance tires. Consumer Reports ranks the Eagle F1 GSD3 the best and so does the Tire Rack and Car and Driver. Problem is that it is not available in 325 size. Does anyone have experience with this size tire.

Also what is the largest tire you can squeeze under these big fat fender flares both front and rear? The Michelin Piliot Sports come in a 345/30/19 which seem tempting. Although Car and Driver was not impressed with this tire.

Help

Evado 04-06-2006 06:34 AM

Best tires for Z06

Originally Posted by RD in SD
What is the best street tire for my 2006 Z06. Many of the test I have read etiher do not include the F1 Supercar EMT or rank it very low. My past experience with factory vette tires tells me that the Goodyears are not the best handling. I will drive on the street not at the track and I do not care much about wet handling as I live in San Diego. I do care about cornering, braking, comfort and noise.

I can't seem to find a decent test that covers ultra performance tires. Consumer Reports ranks the Eagle F1 GSD3 the best and so does the Tire Rack and Car and Driver. Problem is that it is not available in 325 size. Does anyone have experience with this size tire.

Also what is the largest tire you can squeeze under these big fat fender flares both front and rear? The Michelin Piliot Sports come in a 345/30/19 which seem tempting. Although Car and Driver was not impressed with this tire.

Help

You're kind of stuck. I spend quite a bit of time at the track, and have a C6 Z51 in addition to a Z06 (2006). There are no tires for the Z06 at this point. I put the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's on my C6 and what a mistake. There is no tire pressure where these tires are "grippy" at all. The Potenza street tires were better than the PS2's, but there is nothing in your size available at this point.

To be honest, the run flats on the car are not bad at all, but don't cut it at the track. I am personally having custom 18" wheels made for front and rears which gives me all kinds of choices in terms of tires. I am going with a high end wheel (Fikse) which are very expensive, but want to use racing slicks on the car.

If you are using the car for the street only, the run flats are fine. I was able to beat lap times on every Porsche at a local Porsche event (with the exception of one race setup Porsche driven by a Pro....but I was close) with the run flats, so they are not terrible. For the street they are fine though, and I have been surprised at the fact that even at 1.3G they do not break loose.

They only lasted less than 1000 miles though but the PS2's lasted half that, so there you have it: Have custom wheels made for the car, wait for someone to come out with non-run flats, or wait for somoeone to come out with wheels for it which allow other tires. Check with the tire rack (a phone call is needed) to see if they have a wheel / tire combo which will work.

-Evado

RD in SD 04-06-2006 10:22 AM

Good Info

Thank you very much, I also found a Pirelli in the 345 size, F1 Supercar in a 315 and a Contenental in a 315. Any comments on those tires.

A427MAN 04-06-2006 11:11 AM

I have driven the Spring Mountain Track with the stock Goodyears - they are (surprisingly) very good! The grip was excellent - and I pushed then super hard - also, they are quite predictable and squawk nicely when you push the car to its limit in comp mode. IMHO, there is NO REASON to change them for street use! It will be near impossible for you to outdrive them on the street!

allanlaw 04-06-2006 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Evado
If you are using the car for the street only, the run flats are fine.

:iagree: Maybe by the time you wear them out something better will come along, but you don't want to be the test sled for tires.

outnumbered 04-06-2006 12:22 PM

I saw somewhere they are being offered.I think it was Nittos.I will try to find where I saw this.

Futfixr 04-06-2006 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by allanlaw
:iagree: Maybe by the time you wear them out something better will come along, but you don't want to be the test sled for tires.

I hope they come out with something soon. It requires alot of self control to make these run-flats last.:lol:

black97magic 04-06-2006 04:37 PM

Tirerack has Pirelli PZero Rosso in 355/25-19 $493 each:ack:

RD in SD 04-07-2006 01:52 AM

355 Pirelli ?

Can't find um at Tire Rack, Where did you find them?

MikeG06 04-07-2006 11:09 AM

this is weekly subject

OEM (GY) tires when cold - dangerous.
I'm with those waiting for street tire made of rubber compound that remain soft at lower temperatures ....
My understanding is that race tires are coming soon, but have not heard anything yet about for-the-street replacement. IMO many C6Z owners from northern states and provinces would benefit from such.

Mike

LS WON 04-08-2006 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by outnumbered
I saw somewhere they are being offered.I think it was Nittos.I will try to find where I saw this.

I read that Kumhos were suppose to be the best for the $$$.

vettemaster1 04-08-2006 12:39 PM

i know of no tire that works well when cold!....my race tires take warming up before they work....even when its 100 out.....my tires require at least 120 to 140 to be at their best....thats for an autocross compound.....race compound tires require more heat....

i also have used my street tires for autocross....and i was most impressed how well they did....really impressed!.....most others at that event were inpressed also when their c5z's on race rubber were getting beat by my c6z on the run flats!!

IMO....you wont do better than the run flats on the c6z....

when its cold out you simply cant get on it....when tires are cold you simply cant get on it......no rocket science here.....:lol:

RD in SD 04-08-2006 04:17 PM

How wide can you go?

Assuming that they made a wider tire that worked well does anyone have any experience running wider front and rear tires on their Z06? I thought I read that someone had put 345s on the rear which does not seem like much of a problem. What about the fronts, how wide can you go?

A427MAN 04-08-2006 04:35 PM

I believe I read that both Jim Hall and Lou Gigliotti have put the Viper 345's on the rear.

RD in SD 04-08-2006 05:12 PM

What brand of tire dowes a viper come with?

A427MAN 04-08-2006 06:28 PM

Michelin Pilot Sport
345/30/19

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...YR&RunFlat=All

MikeG06 04-09-2006 01:42 PM

My understanding is that the Michelin PS 345/30/19 on 12" wide rim has a narrower foot print then the OEM GY. Besides, they are also expensive. IMO this is a drivability issue, 'is my tires are warm enough to safely pass that Honda' We need tires for the street from this group,for example - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS : also Toyo T1R and others if and when available at the right size for the rear, front size is available from many.

vetdude 04-10-2006 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Evado
They only lasted less than 1000 miles though but the PS2's lasted half that, -Evado

Less than 1k miles? :eek: I've only got 580 miles on my car; guess I better start looking for tires? I don't think so! I hope that includes miles of track use!!!!!!

dmaccor 04-10-2006 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by outnumbered

it was on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=8043002504

nice package, but i have no idea how good Nittos are??:cheers:

jlvink66 04-10-2006 10:49 AM

I don't think the eBay deal with the Nitto's is meant for the C6 Z06. Rear wheels are only 10.5 wide. The Nitto's must be a lot smaller than 325 to fit that wheel (They don't list the tire sizes??)